Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1st Responders or Healthcare how do you feel about Special Deals/Treatment?

We’ve gotten drinks and food often since the start. Donated by restaurants or paid for by who knows. Always delivered to the nurses station.

But I’d never use the position to get anything for free or discounted. Not even a cup of black coffee. Businesses have it hard enough now without losing more with give aways.

Site Supporter
    Now where does it put you when a company sends a dozen free pizzas to your place of work? Or bagels, schmeer and coffee? Just curious.

pat

Site Supporter
    Health care folks - enjoy every perk you can now, especially when it makes a genuine difference in your home life.

You'll never hear me grumble about any of you getting a chance to make your lives a little bit easier - especially so these days.

As far as uniformed first responder/mil etc discounts. If I'm in uniform I certainly don't mind a discount, but I've never asked for a discount. I also make it a point to tip generously, and I always base my tip off of the 'sticker price' of what was provided. Seeing guys on Veteran's day, etc, order a free dinner and a $4 beer at Applebee's, then get great service with three water refills, a free appetizer too, etc - and then leave a $5 bill on the table ecause they only got charged $4.xx for the beer... that bugs the ever loving crap out of me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Now where does it put you when a company sends a dozen free pizzas to your place of work? Or bagels, schmeer and coffee? Just curious.

pat
    We've been getting a ton of stuff delivered to roll call lately. Pizza, primarily, but also burgers, chicken, etc. We actually sorta-got-talked-to when not enough officers went to a free food truck thing. The community *wants* to feel involved in helping.

I didn't go to the food truck thing either, but I did go to the next "free box lunch" thing and get my burger and potato salad. The woman told me I was #103 and to keep telling people to come as they didn't want anything to go to waste. Some of it is people getting rid of inventory that's not moving and it would spoil anyway.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

@BehindBlueI's, strange they're not "marketing" it for the currently unemployed. We have an agent that is spending his free time each weekend making free meals with his side business (BBQ truck) for anyone that needs a meal and is short on cash.

As opposed to feeling like they're helping, this could actually help someone especially since they're trying to make use of overstock inventory. Any of that going on?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @BehindBlueI's, strange they're not "marketing" it for the currently unemployed. We have an agent that is spending his free time each weekend making free meals with his side business (BBQ truck) for anyone that needs a meal and is short on cash.

As opposed to feeling like they're helping, this could actually help someone especially since they're trying to make use of overstock inventory. Any of that going on?
    We've gotten a few emails about helping out with traffic backing up at places doing exactly that and needing traffic assistance, so yes for awhile but it seems like it died off now so either the traffic problems have abated or people have given up on it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

When I started in Law Enforcement in the 1990s, I learned a lot from guys who started way back in the 1970s.

Among the things I learned was where coffee was free, where meals were discounted, where auto parts, service and towing was discounted, what bars would buy you a drink, or a whole night worth of drinks on your day off.

If any of this sounds a bit shady....thats because it is a bit shady. Its an extremely slippery, dangerous ethical nightmare.

Nothing is free.

So on my last trip to Costco I stood in line like everyone else, and thats what I will do on my next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The woman told me I was #103 and to keep telling people to come as they didn't want anything to go to waste. Some of it is people getting rid of inventory that's not moving and it would spoil anyway.
    I worked for a pizza place in a small town as a teenager. Weekends when we'd have a buffet going, when the buffet closed down, we brought everything that was left over to the local sheriff's office because it was perfectly good food that would otherwise be thrown out, and the owner of the restaurant had decided that it was a nice thing to do. Can't say I disagreed with her one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Due to COVID-19 I am now carrying multiple documents (employer, Feds & States) designating me as "Critical Essential". I've been issued PPE and have protocols to take my shoes off before entering my home, spray them with alcohol, remove clothes, immediately wash clothes and shower. I have my usual array of hospital ID badges from the region. I'm doing my job as I've done for years but now there is a new element involved. I'm working crazy amounts of hours and of course concerned I might bring something home either internally or externally.

Yet if I grab food on the run I don't feel comfortable or entitled to show a hospital ID to see if I can get a deal. Or if I want to go shopping at Costco today and there is a long line of social distancing folks I really wouldn't feel comfortable walking up to the entrance and showing an ID to vault the line.

Am I being unreasonable?

Now if BCM had a deal I might not hesitate a even a second there.

The same thing goes on with vets. I don't feel like I deserve any special consideration from the general public or retailers and I've never took advantage of any "deals". It's a nice gesture but people do a lot of f'd up jobs. First responders and hospital staff are front line these days. Tomorrow it could be LE, military, a fire fighter or damn near anyone.

I guess it's a personal dilemma.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-26-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

pat

Take it. You never asked for any of it.

That's what I do when someone does me good turn. I send it, it's there, so now do your part and enjoy it and don't loose any sleep over it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List