Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: S&W TDA Pistols

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 08-03-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Wow.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

My issued academy gun, mentioned above, was one of the RJF prefix ones. Appeared to be pretty bog standard 4566- no Briley bushing, rail, or forward cocking serrations. Very reliable and mechanically accurate, but the straight slab side grip panels did not work well for my hand. I had gotten a grip from a FBI 1076 that had a palm swell that work much better for me.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Wow.
    The 3rd Gen rabbit hole is deep.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

my large hands did not like the standard SW grip.

I went to Hogue rubbers and they worked fine. At some point, I was getting misfires with my CQB.... it was baffling.

I was cleaning the gun and had the Hogue's off and noticed unusual marks on the inside back strap of the Hogue.

Yup, my mega grip fatigued the Hogues and I was pushing the grip into the hammer strut causing the misfires. I was my own culprit.

I went factory palm swell decocker grips from that point. I found them too slippery for my taste, so the image shows grip tape and grit paint on my two CQBs from way back.

Shorty 45 muzzle at top left.

both CQBs, I trimmed the hammer spur as it would bite me.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

While visiting Ken Hackathorn early this spring, we were going through his safe and I was drooling over some very very nice guns (to put it mildly). He was in the process of downsizing a little bit and the short version is that he was extremely kind to me on this deal. It is a gun that will never be sold, and will go to one of my kids or grandkids.

The model # on the black gun is a 4563, same as the stainless colored one shown in the pic above. I had previously mistakenly stated that the black one had a 4&1/4" barrel, as 4563 TSWs have 4&1/4" barrels. However I have since discovered that it is actually a 4" barrel. Some digging around on the net seems to show that 108 all black CQBs were produced, and 211 two tone (silver frame. black slide) were made.

The gun itself is a traditional DA/SA with a decocker. It came with a standard hammer, which was replaced with the bobbed version shown. The original was retained, so if ever I decide to return it to its original configuration, that can be done. In shooting both my TSW and the CQB, I have not really developed a preference yet.

The CQB guns are performance center guns, have Briley bushings that are hand fitted and shoot extremely accurately. One owner, when describing his 4563 PC gun, stated that it shot comparable to his Sig P210, and based on my range time, I believe it. Previously I had mentioned that the only .45 I have that shoots like it is my Baer 1.5" 1911. Suffice to say, the 4563 performance center gun is exceptional in the accuracy department. Any accuracy issues are purely the fault of the driver.

I have been carrying the PC gun quite a bit since acquiring it, as I have been spending a good bit of time in the mountains and traveling. It meets my needs as a big bore animal defense piece, yet due to its size (I have previously described it as a DA/SA lightweight Commander) it works perfectly as a concealed carry piece for when in town.

It has very quickly become one of my favorites.

How do they compare size wise to the Glock 17 and Glock 19?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How do they compare size wise to the Glock 17 and Glock 19?
    Funny you ask that, as I am using a G19 holster to carry the black Performance Center one. The rails on the TSW make it non compatible with a number of holsters. I found that the TSW fits in holster built for a Sig 226 rail gun.

Short version is that they are Glock 19/ Lightweight Commander sized guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Funny you ask that, as I am using a G19 holster to carry the black Performance Center one. The rails on the TSW make it non compatible with a number of holsters. I found that the TSW fits in holster built for a Sig 226 rail gun.

Short version is that they are Glock 19/ Lightweight Commander sized guns.

I want one even more now. If S&W still made them, even at $1k, I would buy.

Just get rid of the mag disconnect, spurless hammers and make both decocker only and safety/decocker. The safety being improved of course. The S&W safety being more difficult to use for me than the Beretta.

I have been getting a strong desire to get back in the 3rd Gen game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I have been getting a strong desire to get back in the 3rd Gen game.
    Don't get that monkey on your back!
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List