Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W TDA Pistols

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    @Paul D

Might be a cheap fix.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100444994?pid=373038

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004406447?pid=136624

Grant Cunningham's site recommends http://www.glenncustom.com/ for S&W work. Think he's in your neighborhood.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    @Paul D

Might be a cheap fix.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100444994?pid=373038

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004406447?pid=136624

Grant Cunningham's site recommends http://www.glenncustom.com/ for S&W work. Think he's in your neighborhood.
    Thanks! I also found the parts on Brownells. Frank is awesome. He upgraded my Colt 1911 9mm.

Saw a nice 5906 TSW at the LGS the other day but it wasn't de-cock only and the light rail had been removed. I would not have been able to resist otherwise. As I understand it converting a TSW to de-cock only just requires swapping some parts but the parts are unobtanium any more. Not that it really matters since I'd only shoot it for fun but still.

I'm curious, what would it take to convert a 4006 to 9mm? It would be cool to have a CHP 4006 in 9mm. I should just look for a nice 5906 on Gunbroker.

Guess I should post some pics. At one point I had come across a regular 4006 TSW that had belonged to my local sheriff's department so I picked it up but the spur on the hammer did a number on my hand and I really wanted a CHP 4006 anyway. I was able to score one from a member here. I also got a 4506-1 from DB. Yes, I did try dual-wielding the 4006's like a goober.
    Name:  4006.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  4006 2.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  3rd gen.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  69.6 KB
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 05-05-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I know every loves the badass 4506 but for everyday carry, I love my 457. It is plain Jane but with its alloy frame, it is flat and easy to carry. It is not too hard to shoot either. Only problem is that the only holsters that are readily available are leather non-AIWB types like the Kramer #2.

Name:  IMG_0841.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  58.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    This forced me to look closer. I think I know what it is: the trigger play spring that mates the trigger and the draw bar looks kinda jacked. @farscott comment about the FBI decock made me look closer at that part. I wonder if I can cannibalize the trigger play spring from my 5906 parts kit to make it work. It hope it's not a problem with the rivet that holds that spring in. Also will need to find a trigger and trigger bar if the spring is not the problem. Gonna give it a try later.
    You can remove the TPS all together, it won't hurt anything. My 4566 is sans TPS and without issue.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You can remove the TPS all together, it won't hurt anything. My 4566 is sans TPS and without issue.
    Thanks! I hope you are right and that it fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Thanks! I hope you are right and that it fixes the problem.
    The purpose of the TPS is to minimize take up in the SA trigger. It's easily broken or bent and some agencies specifically requested it be left off their pistols, since the juice really isn't worth the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Saw a nice 5906 TSW at the LGS the other day but it wasn't de-cock only and the light rail had been removed. I would not have been able to resist otherwise. As I understand it converting a TSW to de-cock only just requires swapping some parts but the parts are unobtanium any more. Not that it really matters since I'd only shoot it for fun but still.

I'm curious, what would it take to convert a 4006 to 9mm? It would be cool to have a CHP 4006 in 9mm. I should just look for a nice 5906 on Gunbroker.

Guess I should post some pics. At one point I had come across a regular 4006 TSW that had belonged to my local sheriff's department so I picked it up but the spur on the hammer did a number on my hand and I really wanted a CHP 4006 anyway. I was able to score one from a member here. I also got a 4506-1 from DB. Yes, I did try dual-wielding the 4006's like a goober.
    Name:  4006.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  4006 2.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  3rd gen.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  69.6 KB
    Believe it or not, but S&W designed the 3rd Generation guns so that the wrong caliber magazine cannot be inserted into the gun by keying the magazines and frames. The 5906 magazine will go into only 9x19 guns, not the 40xx guns. As such, no one ever made conversion barrels. So even if you still could get a custom barrel, the original magazine would have to be used. S&W was concerned that someone might insert a .40 caliber magazine into a 9x19 pistol and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

The old 645.
    Good looking pistol. I used to own a 745, but it got away from me. I'll be holding onto my 4586. I like your username. You out in the Arco area? I grew up outside of Rigby. Live in Caldwell now. My 4513TSW to ensure I show a photo of a TDA S&W.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

In case anyone's close and interested, Wichita Gun Club recently got a few of the CHP 4006TSW's in stock. Price is $425 and everyone I looked at was in good shape. If I was into .40S&W one would have went home with me.

User Tag List