Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W TDA Pistols

Did S&W ever make a 9mm TDA that was decock only? I saw the CHP had a 40 cal decock only but I can't find a 9mm version.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yes, but they were rare. Still numbered 6906 or 5906. Several parts were different. It's detailed out on the blue forum somewhere. Been a few years since I went down that rabbit hole. I've never seen one. Not a big fan of the slide-mounted controls on these or Berettas. All my S&W 3rd gens are DAO.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Did S&W ever make a 9mm TDA that was decock only? I saw the CHP had a 40 cal decock only but I can't find a 9mm version.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Question about the decocker only guns. I have a 4506 I bought from somebody here that has a buttery smooth DA pull but the SA pull is nasty. It is a decocker only gun. Is the decocker only mechanism only affects the safety like the Beretta 92G or it can affect the trigger. I'm thinking of scrounging some parts to change out to if the SA pull gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Question about the decocker only guns. I have a 4506 I bought from somebody here that has a buttery smooth DA pull but the SA pull is nasty. It is a decocker only gun. Is the decocker only mechanism only affects the safety like the Beretta 92G or it can affect the trigger. I'm thinking of scrounging some parts to change out to if the SA pull gets better.
    FBI-style decocker or the traditional lever on the slide? The former design was not well considered and messed with the single-action trigger as a different (from regular 3rd Generation) interface where the trigger, the trigger play spring and drawbar intersect was used.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    FBI-style decocker or the traditional lever on the slide? The former design was not well considered and messed with the single-action trigger as a different (from regular 3rd Generation) interface where the trigger, the trigger play spring and drawbar intersect was used.
    The lever is on the slide and not the Sig-Sauer P series type decocker (if that is the FBI style). Weird thing is I have a CHP 40 Tactical 4006 and it is great. I hope it is only the decocker in the slide that is the culprit.

Your pistol does not have the FBI-style decocking lever.

Can you describe what makes the SA pull "nasty"? Is the trigger flopping around unless rearward pressure is applied? Or is there another issue? Based on the fact that you have a CHP 4006, I am guessing it is not a "flopping trigger" as the CHP guns come without a trigger play spring.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Your pistol does not have the FBI-style decocking lever.

Can you describe what makes the SA pull "nasty"? Is the trigger flopping around unless rearward pressure is applied? Or is there another issue? Based on the fact that you have a CHP 4006, I am guessing it is not a "flopping trigger" as the CHP guns come without a trigger play spring.
    On my gun, when you pull the trigger in DA mode, the trigger swings back in a smooth consistent arc with a surprise break. Once in SA mode, the trigger is positioned almost half-way back like my other 3rd Gen guns when not touching the trigger. As you begin to take up slack when you pull the trigger, you will feel a "ledge" that the trigger has to go over before it reaches the point where it should break. It takes some inordinate force to get over this ledge and you can hear a loud click when it does. The SA break itself is pretty heavy in SA mode. I don't feel the ledge on the DA pull. I would rather have his gun as a DAO gun and than deal with that SA trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    On my gun, when you pull the trigger in DA mode, the trigger swings back in a smooth consistent arc with a surprise break. Once in SA mode, the trigger is positioned almost half-way back like my other 3rd Gen guns when not touching the trigger. As you begin to take up slack when you pull the trigger, you will feel a "ledge" that the trigger has to go over before it reaches the point where it should break. It takes some inordinate force to get over this ledge and you can hear a loud click when it does. The SA break itself is pretty heavy in SA mode. I don't feel the ledge on the DA pull. I would rather have his gun as a DAO gun and than deal with that SA trigger.
    Well, that’s weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Well, that’s weird.
    This forced me to look closer. I think I know what it is: the trigger play spring that mates the trigger and the draw bar looks kinda jacked. @farscott comment about the FBI decock made me look closer at that part. I wonder if I can cannibalize the trigger play spring from my 5906 parts kit to make it work. It hope it's not a problem with the rivet that holds that spring in. Also will need to find a trigger and trigger bar if the spring is not the problem. Gonna give it a try later.

User Tag List