Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: S&W TDA Pistols

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Worth searching. There are some old posts around here from people whose agencies ran them with good tech info.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the 3913 and 3914 guns?
    I bought one when they came out and carried it off duty for a long time. It was also my primary IDPA gun back then. I was issued a 5906 from 1990-2006 so it made sense to me to have a similar pistol for off duty carry and competition use. At some point I got another one (since sold) and sometimes carried both, in RH and LH IWBs, along with a Blade Tech double mag pouch. I also had a 4506 that I sometimes carried and competed with.
    The only malfunction I ever had with the 3913 was with one of my own reloads. It carried great in an IWB, especially in the summer.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    They are the SA/DA version of the BHP. Smooth lines and sexy (even the 4506 if you’re into stout women!).

It’s a shame I have to live vicariously then you all...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    The CQB 4563 is just too cool.

Given the events of the past year, a couple of months ago it was mandated that we CSOs can once again carry POWs into the facility. I work out before I go on duty, so I typically arrive in gym clothes, ie. no belt. The policy also dictates the weapon remain in the holster at all times and the holster possess some kind of retention device: thumb break, mechanical latch, etc. I typically carry IWB and none of my holsters have retention devices other than form fitting friction, so that leaves the old shoulder rig as the only option. Consequently, I'm rocking the 4506 in the Miami Classic five days a week, to and from work. It works pretty well for that use, but it almost doesn't fit into that little lock box.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

In the early 90's this was on the want list, something else always won out. Recently acquired this one as NIB.

Except for cleaning it and posing for this photo stays in the safe.

Attachment 75212

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    You ever post about this one in detail? I want to know much more.

While visiting Ken Hackathorn early this spring, we were going through his safe and I was drooling over some very very nice guns (to put it mildly). He was in the process of downsizing a little bit and the short version is that he was extremely kind to me on this deal. It is a gun that will never be sold, and will go to one of my kids or grandkids.

The model # on the black gun is a 4563, same as the stainless colored one shown in the pic above. I had previously mistakenly stated that the black one had a 4&1/4" barrel, as 4563 TSWs have 4&1/4" barrels. However I have since discovered that it is actually a 4" barrel. Some digging around on the net seems to show that 108 all black CQBs were produced, and 211 two tone (silver frame. black slide) were made.

The gun itself is a traditional DA/SA with a decocker. It came with a standard hammer, which was replaced with the bobbed version shown. The original was retained, so if ever I decide to return it to its original configuration, that can be done. In shooting both my TSW and the CQB, I have not really developed a preference yet.

The CQB guns are performance center guns, have Briley bushings that are hand fitted and shoot extremely accurately. One owner, when describing his 4563 PC gun, stated that it shot comparable to his Sig P210, and based on my range time, I believe it. Previously I had mentioned that the only .45 I have that shoots like it is my Baer 1.5" 1911. Suffice to say, the 4563 performance center gun is exceptional in the accuracy department. Any accuracy issues are purely the fault of the driver.

I have been carrying the PC gun quite a bit since acquiring it, as I have been spending a good bit of time in the mountains and traveling. It meets my needs as a big bore animal defense piece, yet due to its size (I have previously described it as a DA/SA lightweight Commander) it works perfectly as a concealed carry piece for when in town.

It has very quickly become one of my favorites.

Is the slide on that CQB blued or melonite’d? My first issued duty gun was a decock only 4566 in melonite, which I’ve come to find was a very unusual variant. For reasons both sentimental and monitory, I regret that I sold it a year or two after purchasing it from the agency.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I would have to see a blued gun and a melonite one together to differentiate the two, and not being a serious collector, I could not tell you what models had what finish. I bet we have some guys like @Trooper224 or @SW CQB 45 . Either of them could probably tell you exactly what the finish is w/o guessing.

Pretty sure @SW CQB 45 carried a 4563 as a duty gun for a while as I recall him saying.

My PC CQB 4563 was 2 tone and the slide was blackened stainless steel.

It is my educated guess that it is not melonite as the black would easily come off the slide with holster wear.

Nice guns and one with a bobbed hammer.

I recall there being a melonite version, but not a CQB version.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

User Tag List