Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bites

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Back when getting bit containing folk was a potential part of my work day, I kept a small bottle of bleach to throw on the wound as soon as circumstance allowed, to reduce possible transfer of Hep and HIV.

Doctor recommended. Only had to do it twice. Glad it was there when I needed it.

Also, consider an off-the-record chat with the client's onsite shrink or someone in nursing to see if they're aware of any potential health risks specific to the biter. Technically a HIPPA violation, but if you and someone with access to health records are simpatico, they'll understand and discretely assist.
    I am the nurse

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I am the nurse
    Well, hopefully you're on good terms with yourself.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Went to a Domestic call one night, guy is buck nekkid with a young lady when his estranged wife broke in and tried to assault the new object of his attentions. While he was trying to put pants on and wrestle her out the door the soon to be Ex latched on to his side below his right nipple. It literally looked like something out of Jaws. Wife went to jail, he went for stitches.

Ironically the Rookie I was training that night had a mental patient latch on to his hand a few years later and that resulted in surgery to fix.

I’ve seen more damage from people bites than dog bites over the years.

When I was working in psychiatric day treatment with elementary age kids, biting was an extremely common occurrence, at least 2-3 times a week. A nine year old knows he can't punch hard enough to injure a grown man, but he can bite hard enough. I got really good at both deflecting and gaining release from bite attacks. Loose sleeves are also great, since the teeth slide off your forearm and onto the fabric.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser92 View Post
    When I was working in psychiatric day treatment with elementary age kids, biting was an extremely common occurrence, at least 2-3 times a week. A nine year old knows he can't punch hard enough to injure a grown man, but he can bite hard enough. I got really good at both deflecting and gaining release from bite attacks. Loose sleeves are also great, since the teeth slide off your forearm and onto the fabric.
    Our older daughter had a little friend (boy) that was a biter. When they were around 5, this kid ran up to me while I was on the couch and bit me on the inner thigh, just missing my nutsack. It very painful and surprising, and in a sensitive area--I reacted without thinking and yanked the kid off me so hard he left the ground and fell a couple feet away. The mom wasn't happy, but knew her kid had serious issues.

Biting kids should have to wear muzzles.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Our older daughter had a little friend (boy) that was a biter. When they were around 5, this kid ran up to me while I was on the couch and bit me on the inner thigh, just missing my nutsack. It very painful and surprising, and in a sensitive area--I reacted without thinking and yanked the kid off me so hard he left the ground and fell a couple feet away. The mom wasn't happy, but knew her kid had serious issues.

Biting kids should have to wear muzzles.
    Common issue.

Surprised it took this long for this to be posted.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield during a 1997 match. I observed that in my inner city school, biting occurred during fights. In corrections I observed biting to be a common practice in juvenile centers. In my samples females used the tactic more. Female employees were frequently bit on a nipple during which time the offender wrapped arms and legs around the employee and followed her to the ground. The best tool for "breaking a bite" is an electric cattle prod. Threat of using it most often resolves the issue. If not, a quick jolt effects release without causing sprains or joint damage or other injuries seen in applying physical force to idiots. The idea is highly unattractive, and past abuse of electric prods has removed them from facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Always feed the bite. Push harder untill they lose their appetite.
    So is this a rule of thumb regarding all creatures that bite or something? Or is it just pertaining to gonzo people?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    So is this a rule of thumb regarding all creatures that bite or something? Or is it just pertaining to gonzo people?
    It's a good rule of, er, thumb across mammals. It's physiology: "feeding" the bite -- meaning applying force toward it with the limb or digit being bit, causes the jaw to open wider, thus less biting force can be applied, and pushed far enough inward induces a sense of gagging and choking that often "breaks" the bite just long enough to quickly withdraw from it.

Instinct when being bitten is to immediately pull away, which usually is least effective.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List