Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 300 BO or BLK reloading

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Trimming to 1.358".

I really don't know how much case neck tension and surface area is required to keep a 300 BLK from setting back, but I wouldn't really want to find out. For what that gun cost and the potential for injury, I'd ditch the brass.
    Excellent point. I went through the trimmed pieces and found all of them under 34.2mm (~1.348") and tossed them. That was a grand total of 8 cases. Seems false economy to try to save 8 cases. I should've just done that to begin with.

I adjusted to cut my cases a bit longer as well to avoid this issue, so they size out on the longer side. I may need to trim a bit more, but that's fine.

Glad I asked here, I hadn't thought about neck tension and setback.

Site Supporter
    American Reloading had 300 BO brass on sale. I just got 250 used 300 BO from Midsouth. I got stuff to make 300 from 223 but decided my time was better used reloading 223, 9, and 6XC

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Graf’s had the Barnes 110gr Tac Tx in stock this morning when I coffee surfed. Stocked up. Picked up a few bags of the Hornady 125gr FMJ too. I need to load up a new plinker....

Anyone do Hornady 125gr FMJ?

I have data for the 125gr (120?) Barnes black tip boat tails. That would prolly be a good start subtracting 10%

Never mind. Forgot I had the Hornady book on Kindle...<shrugs shoulders>
    Last edited by entropy; 06-25-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Midsouth Shooter Supply has 500ct 125-grain Speer TNTs in stock right now - ~76 bucks per 500, so 15.1 cents/bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If anyone is wondering -

You can chuck a 1/4” drive extension into a Ryobi 18v drill and use a 3/8” socket to pretty much perfectly hold a 5.56 case. This is more poor man’s annealing setup. Tempilaq on the case, butane torch, power drill.

Attachment 55250
    Dude, I don’t even resize .300BO, let alone anneal

#RyobiMasterRace
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Dude, I don’t even resize .300BO, let alone anneal

#RyobiMasterRace
    There’s no kill like overkill...

I’m using so many 18v Ryobi tools it’s ridiculous. I wonder if I can figure out a way to rig up some kind of Ryobi tool to run my press for me too?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There’s no kill like overkill...

I’m using so many 18v Ryobi tools it’s ridiculous. I wonder if I can figure out a way to rig up some kind of Ryobi tool to run my press for me too?
    The moment you need a real press, holler. PF would be glad to give you a purpose built Lee single stage.
    #RESIST

Away from the loading room, but brought my Lee turret press and basic supplies with. I loaded up
    A spread of the Hornady 125gr FMJ using 1680, AA9, and H110. Goal is an inexpensive practice round using powders I have plenty of on hand. Mixed brass, plenty of former 5.56 in the mix. Hopefully find something sub-2000fps that is fairly accurate. I have the luxury of stepping out the back door where I am to test things further once I get it narrowed down. Much easier than multiple trips to the range. I had pulled the barrel and swapped to a shorter rail again to facilitate fitting the gun into a carry bag. Re-zeroed at 25yds (1.2”low) then tweaked it at 100yds. All minor adjustments, but the 90F heat slowed the process a bit. I’ll post the results.

MidwayUSA has the Hornady 190 SubX in stock (or at least they did) the other day. Picked up a few boxes. My pistol likes the factory loading so will try to duplicate. Data a bit scarce, but looks like 1680 is getting the nod at around 10gr.

User Tag List