Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 BO or BLK reloading

Site Supporter
    I ordered a variety of 110 grain 308 for my 300BO from Natchez and they arrived last week. Hornady 110 Varmint SP, Sierra 110 HP, Speer 110 TMJ RN (30 Carbine bullets) and Branes TSX 110 (not tipped - those were sold out). Lee dies arrived and I put them in a head for the Dillon 550. Used a Lee powder drop with a bushing for 18 grains of H110. Loaded up 10 of each except the Barnes. Put a lot of lube on the bolt of the PSA 7.5 inch upper and went to range. They ALL worked first try and I was surprised as I heard the 30 Carbine bullets were problems in 300BO. Used some VN era 20 round mags - got some Lancer 20s on order. Bolt locked back - no issues. Did a rough zero on a dot I have on hand - C More slide ride. No issues 7 yards through 15 through 25 through 50. I have a few hundred 300BO brass on hand - pays to be a brass chicken. Loading up the rest of the Speer 110 TMJs and some more of the 110 SPs and HPs. Will make sure all this works and then try a few of the SPs and HPs with some more powder.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I ordered a variety of 110 grain 308 for my 300BO from Natchez and they arrived last week. Hornady 110 Varmint SP, Sierra 110 HP, Speer 110 TMJ RN (30 Carbine bullets) and Branes TSX 110 (not tipped - those were sold out). Lee dies arrived and I put them in a head for the Dillon 550. Used a Lee powder drop with a bushing for 18 grains of H110. Loaded up 10 of each except the Barnes. Put a lot of lube on the bolt of the PSA 7.5 inch upper and went to range. They ALL worked first try and I was surprised as I heard the 30 Carbine bullets were problems in 300BO. Used some VN era 20 round mags - got some Lancer 20s on order. Bolt locked back - no issues. Did a rough zero on a dot I have on hand - C More slide ride. No issues 7 yards through 15 through 25 through 50. I have a few hundred 300BO brass on hand - pays to be a brass chicken. Loading up the rest of the Speer 110 TMJs and some more of the 110 SPs and HPs. Will make sure all this works and then try a few of the SPs and HPs with some more powder.
    What OAL are running for the TMJs?

Would sure love a 110-grain .30 carbine load to run, the bullets are a damn sight cheaper than proper .308 110 spitzers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What OAL are running for the TMJs?

Would sure love a 110-grain .30 carbine load to run, the bullets are a damn sight cheaper than proper .308 110 spitzers.
    1.85 they were 12.99 per 100.

Who is running a Squirrel Daddy cut-off jig?

Are you decapping and sizing as .223, then cutting, re-forming, and then trimming?

I'm thinking of doing the cut off jig and ordering a bunch of, not yet processed, Lake City brass. Cutting them and then decapping and forming in the same step with trimming after that?
    I have the SD jig.
    I am using a 650 so I have extra stations to play with so I have one tool head setup with:

Decap
    Size to 223 (no expander)
    Size to 300BO (no expander)

Then I cut off in SD jig and trim with a WFT. My strategiery is I think I can do the cutoff closer and require taking off less in trimming. I also wet tumble and they dry quick with no primers. Then I run though another tool head:

Decap die with the SD expander
    Charge
    Nuthin (maybe Dillon powder check in future)
    Seat
    Crimp

I like sizing without the expander in case you stick a case. Also I have been trying with skipping champher so shoving the expander down in the neck might break the edge.

Not saying all this is The Way, and I have only done about Qty500 this way, but is what I am doing. When I am doing 223 anything that I do not like the feel of when trimming goes in the bucket for 300BO conversion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was thinking about cutting some brass down for awhile and loading some 300 BLK. I have thousands of 110 Speer bullets that I use for 30 carbine. Also some coated lead 110's that I will never use that I might be willing to part with. I finally just scraped the whole idea of 300 BLK because I have a 30 carbine. I was going to use 2400 for powder as I have plenty. 300 BLK with 110 really is a lot like 30 Carbine.

Never did buy a rifle but it had me going for awhile.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-16-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have the SD jig.
    I am using a 650 so I have extra stations to play with so I have one tool head setup with:

Decap
    Size to 223 (no expander)
    Size to 300BO (no expander)

Then I cut off in SD jig and trim with a WFT. My strategiery is I think I can do the cutoff closer and require taking off less in trimming. I also wet tumble and they dry quick with no primers. Then I run though another tool head:

Decap die with the SD expander
    Charge
    Nuthin (maybe Dillon powder check in future)
    Seat
    Crimp

I like sizing without the expander in case you stick a case. Also I have been trying with skipping champher so shoving the expander down in the neck might break the edge.

Not saying all this is The Way, and I have only done about Qty500 this way, but is what I am doing. When I am doing 223 anything that I do not like the feel of when trimming goes in the bucket for 300BO conversion.

Do you get the sense the SD jig is sensitive to whether the brass has been sized before cutting?

Since I’m running an App - I’m going to batch it, skipping the 223 sizing step would be nice. And since I don’t have a 223 gun, I have zero need for a 223 sizing die, except to make 300blk brass...maybe?

Do you get the sense the SD jig is sensitive to whether the brass has been sized before cutting?

Since I’m running an App - I’m going to batch it, skipping the 223 sizing step would be nice. And since I don’t have a 223 gun, I have zero need for a 223 sizing die, except to make 300blk brass...maybe?
    No, the jig is not sensitive, I think it is more conventional to cut the bottleneck off before you start, as you suggest. If I were you I would just get the SD jig and some Lee 300BO dies and start rocking.

Well, it's happening.

I just ordered reloading and quick trim dies for 300BLK along with an APP swaging kit, universal case feed, case collator, and some extra shell plates. And Brownells had 110-grain Barnes bullets in stock, so I grabbed a box of 50 to load up.

300 BO or BLK reloading

125 gr. Hornady FMJ seated to mid-cannelure.
    18 gr. H110
    Tula military rifle primers
    Full length sized
    Taper crimped -0.002”

Chrono: ~1800fps from 7.5” barrel.

Good ejection, not too blasty. Good practice load.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Another range trip - the 30 Carbine 110s worked fine again in 300BO with 18 grains H110. I used Small Pistol Magnum primers and I have some sitting around I never use - no issues. Shot about 50 more of the original 100 - will have to order more.

User Tag List