Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Current State of the ZEV OZ9?

Never paid much attention to ZEV so I didn’t realize until today they had a steel modular chassis. My partner/coach in Rangemaster Adv Instructor is running one and now I’m intrigued. Especially the v2. But I just want the lower and it doesn’t appear they’re selling that just yet. Figures.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Never paid much attention to ZEV so I didn’t realize until today they had a steel modular chassis. My partner/coach in Rangemaster Adv Instructor is running one and now I’m intrigued. Especially the v2. But I just want the lower and it doesn’t appear they’re selling that just yet. Figures.
    The OZ9 V2 uses the same chassis as V1. I have only found two differences between the V1 and V2, the first difference being a design difference in the slide and the second is just a build configuration difference which was already possible if you built your own OZ9.

1.) V2 uppers use a new hybrid Gen 3 / 5 slide that uses the Gen 3 recoil system and a Gen 5 striker / safety plunger.

I am not sure why Zev did this. I have several OZ9 builds based on full Gen 3 (aka V1) and have had zero issues with the striker / safety plunger. On the one V2 OZ9 I got my hands on, the Gen 5 safety plunger interface with Zev PRO trigger bar (based on a Gen 1-4 design) appeared to introduce initial take up in the trigger pull which was not present in V1. The V1 trigger is phenomenal for being a striker fired Glock design, the V2 less so (or at least the one V2 I used).

2.) All V2 uppers use barrels with G19 barrel lugs which means they can only run on the OZ9 compact chassis which has a G19 locking block. The OZ9 standard chassis which uses the G17 locking block from Gen 1-4 is not utilized in the V2 lineup. (context: with the introduction of Gen 5, Glock changed the G17 and G34 to use G19 locking block / lugs).

This change makes sense from a modularity perspective. Even before V2, Zev already sold OZ9 long slides and extra long slides for the compact chassis, but AFAIK they didn't offer them in any pre-built pistols.

Anyway, the OZ9 V1 is my favorite striker fired pistol. I am still wondering what Zev was thinking with the V2 3/5 hybrid slide, but I'll reserve further judgement until I can get some extended time with one and see if I can get the trigger pull to match the V1.

Is a SCD compatible with the V2 and V2 pistols ?

Quote Originally Posted by zcap View Post
    The OZ9 V2 uses the same chassis as V1. I have only found two differences between the V1 and V2, the first difference being a design difference in the slide and the second is just a build configuration difference which was already possible if you built your own OZ9.

1.) V2 uppers use a new hybrid Gen 3 / 5 slide that uses the Gen 3 recoil system and a Gen 5 striker / safety plunger.

I am not sure why Zev did this. I have several OZ9 builds based on full Gen 3 (aka V1) and have had zero issues with the striker / safety plunger. On the one V2 OZ9 I got my hands on, the Gen 5 safety plunger interface with Zev PRO trigger bar (based on a Gen 1-4 design) appeared to introduce initial take up in the trigger pull which was not present in V1. The V1 trigger is phenomenal for being a striker fired Glock design, the V2 less so (or at least the one V2 I used).

2.) All V2 uppers use barrels with G19 barrel lugs which means they can only run on the OZ9 compact chassis which has a G19 locking block. The OZ9 standard chassis which uses the G17 locking block from Gen 1-4 is not utilized in the V2 lineup. (context: with the introduction of Gen 5, Glock changed the G17 and G34 to use G19 locking block / lugs).

This change makes sense from a modularity perspective. Even before V2, Zev already sold OZ9 long slides and extra long slides for the compact chassis, but AFAIK they didn't offer them in any pre-built pistols.

Anyway, the OZ9 V1 is my favorite striker fired pistol. I am still wondering what Zev was thinking with the V2 3/5 hybrid slide, but I'll reserve further judgement until I can get some extended time with one and see if I can get the trigger pull to match the V1.
    Thanks! Answers a lot of my questions.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Is a SCD/ striker control device compatible with the Zev OZ9 V2 pistols ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Is a SCD/ striker control device compatible with the Zev OZ9 V2 pistols ?
    Yes, as far as I know and as far as I can tell. I believe you'd want the Gen 5 model.

Does anyone have info in the DOE contract guns? Is there anything unique about them? If so I wonder if ZEV will sell a commercial version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Does anyone have info in the DOE contract guns? Is there anything unique about them? If so I wonder if ZEV will sell a commercial version.

Interested as well.

I just got my Zed from the smith- It’s not a DOE gun by any means, but instead a full-size frame with a Brownells G34.3 blank solid-slide with some attention paid.

I’m super happy with how it came out, and I plan to use it as my main match pistol.

Name:  IMG_1688.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  47.4 KB
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List