Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Current State of the ZEV OZ9?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Attachment 64953

Looked everything over and came up empty on a possible cause.
    I assume it is mentioned here but have you tried a non-Zev extractor in the gun? Factory Glock or maybe an Apex FRE?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I assume it is mentioned here but have you tried a non-Zev extractor in the gun? Factory Glock or maybe an Apex FRE?

After having extraction issues with my first OZ I had an opportunity to speak to someone in tech support, this is what I was told.

The original extractor in my first OZ was the same configuration as a stock Glock. OZ's were experiencing extraction issues. Zev went back and looked at the problem and found that the OZ extractor assembly angle was a couple of degrees off from a standard Glock. They redesigned the OZ assembly so that it applies more pressure at the hook. I was sent the redesigned setup for that gun and it was absolutely under more pressure, obvious when installing the backplate.

I don't want to change the extractor based upon what I was told.

The ammo from the FTE yesterday was factory Sig 147 fmj and the spent case was examined for any type of bulge or rim deformity with nothing found.

Any further issues I'm just going to keep sending it back to Zev, sooner or later they have to get it right-I hope.

Any further issues I'm just going to keep sending it back to Zev, sooner or later they have to get it right-I hope.
    I like your "stick with it" attitude.

Please keep us updated.

I like your "stick with it" attitude.

Please keep us updated.

Ran another 250 rounds of factory 124/147's through the OZ9 yesterday. The gun ran flawlessly. I have to say the OZ is a blast to shoot.

I have to say the OZ is a blast to shoot.
    What makes it fun specifically? Shooting is always fun but what draws this comment about the OZ?

What makes it fun specifically? Shooting is always fun but what draws this comment about the OZ?

For me the grip angle and circumference make it easy to drive the gun and shoot it accurately. The heavier chassis helps with recoil management. Combine that with the Volker Precision comp I have on it and tracking the dot is quick and effortless. Zev's milling for the dot is about as good as it gets and their cocking serrations make slide manipulations during loading/unloading and malfunction drills a breeze.

After all the issues I've had with the OZ you'd think I would give up on it but when it runs it's hard to put it down.

Hopefully the reliability continues.

Excellent update post near end of this thread:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271394-zev-oz9/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Excellent update post near end of this thread:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271394-zev-oz9/
    Here is the post from BE:

max1337

Posted 9 hours ago

Hi guys,

I think I should jump in and give you a good idea of what happened to the Zev OZ9 from start to where it's at right now, and that should clarify a lot of things and hopefully help you make a good decision or fix your current issues.

I am a competitive shooter and i've been sponsored by Zev and shooting the OZ9's since the very beginning. In fact, I have the first batch that Zev ever produced, with all 3 of my guns serial number below 00100. I have over 130 000 rounds with the guns, so trust me, I've had probably all of the possible issues you could imagine or already had. Gun firing full auto or bursts, barrel lug sheared off, broken slide stop, broken slide post, failure to extract/eject, magazines (10 rounders) won't drop, etc etc. The good thing is, Zev have been very receptive and listened to the issues and fixed them very quickly.

Here are the most common issues and fixes ;

- Gun firing auto/burst ; Zev Recall, they will replace your trigger bar/parts. It works very well, no issues anymore
    - Extraction/Ejection issues ; Zev replaced the extractor for the new "enhanced extractor" with the new longer extractor plunger and spring. Look for the Zev // hashmarks on the new extractor. Also, I recommend you install a Glock Gen 4/5 Ejector (on the trigger housing)
    - Barrel lug shearing off ; Zev have redesigned the barrel lug, new metal, new rifling. This one is in the mail and will have it next Wednesday and I can update you guys if interested.
    - Broken slide stop ; Zev are now making their slide stop in-house and the issue is fixed. I recommend you install a Glock Gen 3 slide stop if you have one.
    - Magazines won't drop ; Zev have replaced their magazine release for a new design that is narrower and will drop 10 round magazines no issues.

Is this a pain in the ass ? Yes. Did Zev release the Zev OZ9 too early ? Probably. Did they work hard to fix all the issues ? f*#k yes. Remember that Sig had to recall all their P320 models because of the Firing Control Unit safety issues. It is not uncommon for a new firearm to face issues, the most important is that they do something about it, quickly.

I have all the above fixes on my guns, all 3 of them, and I haven't had one malfunction in over 60 000 rounds. The most important thing for me as a traveling competition shooter and instructor is reliability, and I can say that now I can trust my guns to perform and function flawlessly regardless of what ammo I am shooting.

This is my build for all 3 of my OZ9 for IPSC/USPSA Competitions ;

- Johnny Glocks Hybrid trigger w/flat shoe. (Reason for Johnny Glocks is I can adjust the reset to a very short one and glass break)
    - Johnny Glocks Striker
    - Johnny Glocks safety plunger
    - Johnny Glocks safety plunger spring
    - Johnny Glocks trigger return spring
    - Johnny Glocks 4.5# striker spring (or Wolff)
    - Zev ISMI 13# recoil spring
    - Zev polymer red striker cups
    - Zev polymer red channel liner
    - Zev polymer red striker sleeve
    - Zev polymer red extractor plunger pin
    - Zev enhanced extractor
    - Zev enhanced extractor plunger/spring
    - Zev Optimized match barrel
    - Zev Tungsten grip (coming soon, it is incredibly perfectly balanced, recoil is ridiculously flat)
    - Gen 3 slide stop
    - Gen 4 ejector
    - Trijicon SRO 5 MOA
    - #4-40 x 5/16 Torx plus flat head screws
    - Glock 17 Gen 5 magazines
    - Wolff +10% magazine spring
    - Henning EDC PRO basepads

I hope this helps,

Max Latulippe

This is a sample of one but bears mentioning. I was RO at a USPSA match recently and one of the shooters had am OZ9. At one point, the slide and fire control module came out of the grip. Literally fell out as the shooter was moving. Now we're all standing there with a live gun, with an exposed trigger, trying to figure out how to clear it. Eventually we gingerly put it back in the grip long enough to rack the round out but it was extremely uncomfortable for all involved.
    One experience but maybe some things that aren't broke shouldn't be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    This is a sample of one but bears mentioning. I was RO at a USPSA match recently and one of the shooters had am OZ9. At one point, the slide and fire control module came out of the grip. Literally fell out as the shooter was moving. Now we're all standing there with a live gun, with an exposed trigger, trying to figure out how to clear it. Eventually we gingerly put it back in the grip long enough to rack the round out but it was extremely uncomfortable for all involved.
    One experience but maybe some things that aren't broke shouldn't be fixed.
    The action of the OZ is anchored into the grip by slipping a metal tail at the rear into a recess in the grip and then a captured hefty pin into the front. Unless the grip module was modified or somehow broken the slide/action can not fall out. That sounds like 100% shooter error not weapon issues or design flaws.

User Tag List