Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Current State of the ZEV OZ9?

Another bit of info on DOE solicitation:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...oz-9-x-combat/

I note that tritium sights are a requirement. Does this mean red dots will not be the standard sight system used?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    I’ve really wished the OZ9c was gen4 or 5 based. Well, I just picked up a OZ9c complete lower for a great deal and am going to mill the front nose section to accept a gen5 19 slide - gonna put an OEM gen5 MOS slide on it and will also likely put an Apex trigger in instead of the ZEV with everything else in the trigger converted back to OEM. Sounds counter intuitive to put all this OEM stuff back into the gun but I really love the steel subframe and the shape of the OZ9 grips.
    If I can ever convince myself to take the plunge on the Oscar Zulu, I'll also probably end up with a lot of OEM in the gun as well. That post from back around page 5 that went into gun setup was great.

Has anyone had or shot one set up as a 40? My comped 19.4s spoil me, in that the recoil is low enough that it's tough to want to trade into a heavier (if only a little) gun, even if promises less recoil and a better (and I still think that's questionable) trigger. On the other hand, a low-to-no recoil double-stack .40 could be an interesting blaster to compare against the single stack 10mms and 45s. But that could also be a 2011.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter

Picked up a used OZ9C

I just picked up a used OZ9C and hope to wring it out here soon. The last time I had a Glock-type aftermarket frame was CCF RaceFrames. After reading the entire thread, the broken barrel lug issue seemed familiar.
    CCF bonded the locking blocks in the frames which broke quite frequently. I had mine replaced under warranty and subsequently sold it. I’m wondering if the Zev OZ9 has/had the problem in reverse? Inquiring minds want to know and time will tell. I hope to report back after getting some rounds down range.

I have the threaded barrel so I’ll report back on running with the comp and suppressed.

Seems like a silly question but...

What, if anything, is required for me to take a ZEV lower and use an entirely GLOCK OEM upper?

The ZEV grip is phenomenal but I've nothing to complain about with a Gen 5 upper.

Obviously, the ZEV locking block/frame is unique so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Seems like a silly question but...

What, if anything, is required for me to take a ZEV lower and use an entirely GLOCK OEM upper?

The ZEV grip is phenomenal but I've nothing to complain about with a Gen 5 upper.

Obviously, the ZEV locking block/frame is unique so I may be barking up the wrong tree.
    Short answer: Gen 3 lower vs Gen 5 upper. I believe you’ll also run into the trigger bar and firing pin safety issue. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. My only issue with my set up is that no one has a mounting plate solution for an ACRO..or anything besides a RMR footprint.

Just went over 750 rounds into my OZ9 experiment. I picked mine up NIB for just under $1K on Gunbroker. No malfunctions since the first 200 rounds of ball ammo. I am intending to use this as a competition gun initially. When Zev had their big Halloween sale I bought a second identical (Centurion) slide and set it up for irons to use the same barrel and RSA, with an SRO on my original slide I now have a multiple division gun. So this weekend will be SSP in IDPA and next weekend CO in USPSA. While this is a "good" trigger in my view, the real difference is how this gun tracks. The extra weight of the frame and the extra weight out front truly make a difference when I compare it to shooting a G17. I cannot see any difference in accuracy between my Gen5 G17 and this gun which is a good thing.

But lots more rounds need to go down range. Watching the barrel lugs for cracking but I am not sure I could ever see it if it were developing.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeEater View Post
    Short answer: Gen 3 lower vs Gen 5 upper. I believe you’ll also run into the trigger bar and firing pin safety issue. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. My only issue with my set up is that no one has a mounting plate solution for an ACRO..or anything besides a RMR footprint.
    You can get RMR > Acro adapter plate. I got one from primary machine to use on my Shadow Systems. The only con is it's a bit thick, so the sight sits higher than desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    You can get RMR > Acro adapter plate. I got one from primary machine to use on my Shadow Systems. The only con is it's a bit thick, so the sight sits higher than desired.
    That plate will not work on the OZ9. At least not without some modification.

From PM's website:

Our plate WILL NOT work with Brownells or Zev slides in which there are threaded posts for the optic to screw into.

Site Supporter

About time ZEV actually tries to sell some guns. Still a bit more money than a Shadow Systems or similar. But more realistic when compared to an actual Glock.

User Tag List