Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Current State of the ZEV OZ9?

When I thought threads like this were about guns, I couldn't understand them. Now that I know they are about projects, they make sense.

For some reason, I am getting the fever for one of these. I wish I could buy the complete lower, alone, because I have some of my own ideas about the upper unit, including a KKM barrel/comp combo, that I already have.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    When I thought threads like this were about guns, I couldn't understand them. Now that I know they are about projects, they make sense.
    Real engineering, including the sorts of tolerances, clearances, metallurgy, etc. that is only really ever within the OEM's base of knowledge is an important thing. The aftermarket, in the absence of deft tech transfer and licenses, doesn't actually know these things, and has to estimate or guess.

Stack an aftermarket Glock like the OZ9 with other manufacturer's aftermarket is more of a project than anything with really assured performance. These are the sorts of things that you can only get so far with, before you have let stuff out into the market, hang on tight, and see what happens.

I feel confident that the OZ9 will get to ever-better places, and that the newest stuff is better in subtle but important ways from the the initial product.

I'd also like to mess around with a couple of Compact frames, but as long as Zev is selling every complete gun that they can possibly make, it's like primers. Why sell just a primer, when you can sell a whole round, and why sell a frame when you can sell a complete gun?

The best route (it sure won't happen, though) would be for Glock to license or otherwise acquire the IP/design, update as necessary, et voila, Gen 6 Glock. I'd go nuts.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

@Shadow

Any updates for us on your continuing experiences with the ZEV?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @Shadow

Any updates for us on your continuing experiences with the ZEV?
    Sorry for the delayed response...

I've only had time to run 300 rounds through the Zev since my last post. In that 300 I had 2 failures to extract with factory 147 grain American Eagle ball ammo. The FTE's were identical to the FTE's I had before the "enhanced" extractor assembly installed. I'll be teaching several classes over the next few weeks and hope to get more rounds through it during down time on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I had 2 failures to extract with factory 147 grain American Eagle ball ammo.
    Ugh

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hello all, new to the forum.
    I took possession of my OZ9 Competition yesterday and ran 100 rounds through it with zero issues. My initial reaction was that the trigger was a bit stiff for a competition gun and the recoil spring felt a bit heavy too. But it shot smooth and flat. The grip and weight of the gun are excellent. I pulled the back slide plate off to swap to a lighter striker spring and noticed that the extractor was under ALOT of pressure. It seems their solution to the extractor issue was to add some length to the plunger. The spring is almost coil bound upon assembly. I installed the included 3.5# striker spring and that got the trigger pull down to 3.5#, which is better but still not as nice feeling as the trigger on my buddy's new Sig P320 Max.

My OZ9 doesn't fit any of my existing Glock holsters. Bummer... An online search shows QVO Tactical and Red Hill Tactical as holster makes (and with a 4-12 week wait). Who else is making a competition style OWB holster for these? (Hopefully without a huge wait time too)

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Disassemble your holster, get some rubber tubing (and possibly longer screws) and open it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Disassemble your holster, get some rubber tubing (and possibly longer screws) and open it up a bit.
    That doesn't work for injection molded holsters.
    The OZ9's trigger guard, rail, and slide are slightly profiled differently, so there are issues with drag and proper retention using any of the Glock holsters I've tried. I'm 100% going to get a proper fitting holster for it - just need to figure out where from.

Some info on holsers for the Competition model OZ9: I discovered and confirmed the Safariland 5197 holster for the Glock 34 does fit pretty well. It does slightly interfere with the Trijicon SRO, but fits great if you're only running iron sights. I ended up trimming the holster back to offer clearance for the SRO.

I can confirm that the Double-Alpha PDR-PRO-II Holster for the Glock 34 also fits my OZ9 (no pic available to share). And no issues with clearance around the optic as well.

Name:  20210813_185547.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  20210813_185529.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  26.4 KB

User Tag List