Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Experience with - Missouri Bullet Company Unsized/Unlubed Bullets?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Curious if anyone has used them.

The cost .45 230-grain RNs is almost $10/500 cheaper than just about anyone else. I didn't order any this time, because I don't have a .45 sizing setup right now. But it was tempting.

Worth the effort? Seems like MBC casts them pretty hard, which should reducing leading overall, right?
    Unsized, unlubed bullets are sold to those who wish to experiment. For example, I might buy .360 diameter bullets so that I can reduce some to .359, some to .358. and some to .357. With these different sizes I can experiment. I have 3 tools called lubrisizers that can reduce diameters and lube at the same time. Nobody and I mean nobody buys unsized and unlubed bullets to save money.

A myth in shooting and loading cast bullets is that harder means less leading. Cast bullets bought from commercial casters as a rule are too hard and are lubed with a super stiff lube designed to run through automated machines and also not to melt in summer heat. A too hard bullet does not upset or obturate meaning that it enters the barrel at a too small diameter. Hot gases then pass by the bullet and cause smears to stick to the barrel. Many of the stiff and hard type lubes are not adequate.

Missouri Bullets has good products. Buying and shooting cowboy bullets will provide the better and softer composition which will obturate.

I learned all this stuff the hard way by beating my head against the wall as I read and studied and experimented. It's my favorite topic.

Site Supporter
    I used to load and shoot MBC boolits when I first got into IDPA. I always got ribbed about my smoking Beretta, but it was cheap. I got the worse end of a match at one of the VA Commonwealth Cups (2013?) at Rivanna, when they had an indoor stage shot in the dark with only a table lamp beside the bed you were laying on for light, and maybe one light downrange...can't remember now. Anyway, the entire stage disappeared after a few shots from my 'cheap' boolits. I think I ordered 5k Montana Gold 124's as soon as I got home LOL.

User Tag List