Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot for shotgun

If you search on this site there has been a lot of good discussion on the Benelli M4. I was always curious what pros and cons there were that would come to light with a large deployment.

Your description of requiring maintenance seems to me to explain differences in opinion on the M4. Position shooting with slugs has got to be a painful experience especially in prone.

To get back on topic. I have an Aimpoint H1 to experiment with on a Beretta 1301. I think any dot sight makes it so much easier to place slugs on target.

Is it possible / advisable to put an Aimpoint PRO-type optic on a Mossberg 590?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My Benelli M4 patterns around 7" at 25Y with LE132 00B FliteControl. That roughly translates to 28 MOA so I can see how a circle dot would work. I have both but in the end I'm really a dot only guy and run a T1 on my duty Benelli where I run both OOB and slugs.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I can see the pros and cons of the circle dot; use the dot to aim but knowing that your spread is going to be contained within the circle might be beneficial for some low probability hits; i.e. the classic hostage where the only thing exposed is the bad guy's head. On the other hand it is a bit more cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I can see the pros and cons of the circle dot; use the dot to aim but knowing that your spread is going to be contained within the circle might be beneficial for some low probability hits; i.e. the classic hostage where the only thing exposed is the bad guy's head. On the other hand it is a bit more cluttered.
    Assuming your smooth bore buckshot will be inside any circle is a huge assumption and risk especially for any sort of precise shot.

Learn your weapon and your own capabilities through training. Every situation will be different but I believe in software over hardware.

Dennis.

Assuming your smooth bore buckshot will be inside any circle is a huge assumption and risk especially for any sort of precise shot.

Learn your weapon and your own capabilities through training. Every situation will be different but I believe in software over hardware.

Dennis.

I didn't mean you'd assume that. I meant if you try it out on your gun with whatever loads your using and you can document that the group is always smaller than the 32moa ring at the distances you shoot at it can be an additional date point to use should you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I didn't mean you'd assume that. I meant if you try it out on your gun with whatever loads your using and you can document that the group is always smaller than the 32moa ring at the distances you shoot at it can be an additional date point to use should you need it.
    In my experience even FliteControl usually throws at least one pellet if not more in a random direction once you get past 10Y. Using a circle to do anything other than get a rough estimate of your POA with a smoothbore weapon is hazardous at best. I see your point and offer that a circle could be easier to see and place on a close target than a dot. However I would never use it to define any repeatable buckshot pattern.

Dennis.

In my experience even FliteControl usually throws at least one pellet if not more in a random direction once you get past 10Y. Using a circle to do anything other than get a rough estimate of your POA with a smoothbore weapon is hazardous at best. I see your point and offer that a circle could be easier to see and place on a close target than a dot. However I would never use it to define any repeatable buckshot pattern.

Dennis.

Which load are you taking about? The 9 pellet 00 loads tend to always have that ninth pellet flier. The 8 pellet load hasn’t exhibited this in my experience. I have no experience with the 1B load that’s now out of production.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Is it possible / advisable to put an Aimpoint PRO-type optic on a Mossberg 590?
    I've seen it done, but haven't shot one in that configuration, so I can't really offer a fully informed opinion on it.

The PRO body fits into a 30mm scope ring, which will get it lower than any of the QD mounts. With that, all you need is a bit of rail on the receiver. I'd suggest using a Magpul stock so you can easily add a cheek riser. I'd also select a picatinny scope ring rather than Weaver, since it will interface more securely with the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Which load are you taking about? The 9 pellet 00 loads tend to always have that ninth pellet flier. The 8 pellet load hasn’t exhibited this in my experience. I have no experience with the 1B load that’s now out of production.
    Yes, exactly. LE132 00B 9 pellet. Good to hear I'm not the only one!

Dennis.

Dennis.

You're really hammering home why I don't like shotguns; there are very few situations where a shotgun excels when compared to a rifle and those situations mostly involve hunting which I don't do.

User Tag List