Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot for shotgun

Red dot for shotgun

So the Beretta 1301 thread has now cost me a bunch of money (just ordered one today). As far as optics I was thinking one of the Holosun circle/dot sites. If given the following choices, what would you choose and why? My use would mostly be from 0-25 yards. My gut says 65moa might be too big but want some input.

503c - aimpoint micro footprint 65moa circle

507c - rmr footprint 32moa circle

Site Supporter
    Edge of my lane.

It seems to me that if you have a Tier 1 shotgun, and it is your only one of this type, if you are going to have it for defensive purposes, it should have a Tier 1 optic.
    That would counsel for Aimpoint.

If it is a plinker, get whatever you want.

Please let us know what you do and why you did it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    So the Beretta 1301 thread has now cost me a bunch of money (just ordered one today). As far as optics I was thinking one of the Holosun circle/dot sites. If given the following choices, what would you choose and why? My use would mostly be from 0-25 yards. My gut says 65moa might be too big but want some input.

503c - aimpoint micro footprint 65moa circle

507c - rmr footprint 32moa circle
    Seems like there were some posts here (on P-F) a few months ago with someone using a (something)-MOA circle red dot, and they determined that the circle corresponded well to the pellet grouping from FliteControl shells out to at least 25 yds. If I had to guess, I think it was the 32 MOA circle.
    It’s worth some searching, as that would be a cool application for a “circle-dot” RDS.

I have to confess that I’ve been trying to use that application to justify the expense of the new MRO with the “circle-dot” to replace my perfectly good “dot only” MRO on the 1301T.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I've always been a proponent of Shield sights so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt on that score if you like, but the SIS on the 8MOA dot+ring setting, I really like for shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Edge of my lane.

It seems to me that if you have a Tier 1 shotgun, and it is your only one of this type, if you are going to have it for defensive purposes, it should have a Tier 1 optic.

5 years ago I would have agreed with you, but the Holosun products have really surprised me. I've been experimenting with them over the past couple of years and they seem to be holding up fine. I've ran one pretty hard on a handgun with excellent results to the point I don't see myself buying anymore RMRs. Of course the shotgun is a different animal but I've been convinced of their durability on handguns and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Seems like there were some posts here (on P-F) a few months ago with someone using a (something)-MOA circle red dot, and they determined that the circle corresponded well to the pellet grouping from FliteControl shells out to at least 25 yds. If I had to guess, I think it was the 32 MOA circle.
    It’s worth some searching, as that would be a cool application for a “circle-dot” RDS.

I have to confess that I’ve been trying to use that application to justify the expense of the new MRO with the “circle-dot” to replace my perfectly good “dot only” MRO on the 1301T.
    Hmm, I haven't really paid attention to the MRO since they came out because I had plenty of Aimpoints, but was unaware of they offered a circle/dot reticle. I'll have to look into that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    ... the circle corresponded well to the pellet grouping from FliteControl shells out to at least 25 yds. If I had to guess, I think it was the 32 MOA circle...
    My Benelli M4 patterns around 7" at 25Y with LE132 00B FliteControl. That roughly translates to 28 MOA so I can see how a circle dot would work. I have both but in the end I'm really a dot only guy and run a T1 on my duty Benelli where I run both OOB and slugs.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Edge of my lane.

Just sold one of my RMR's for two more 507C's. I have total confidence in mine.

I put a 507c on my Benelli M4, it was just laying around and I figured I’d try it, I doubt I’ll be taking it off the circle dot is prefect for my needs on the shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My Benelli M4 patterns around 7" at 25Y with LE132 00B FliteControl. That roughly translates to 28 MOA so I can see how a circle dot would work. I have both but in the end I'm really a dot only guy and run a T1 on my duty Benelli where I run both OOB and slugs.

Dennis.

Are the Benelli M4’s doing well in police service?

They need more maintenance than an AR to include occasional piston cleaning (~1000rds), kept very clean, and definitely lubed. Luckily the vast majority of our Benelli M4s are personally owned so guys can maintain them better.

Oh, and BTW, it is a pain to qualify with them using slugs to 50Y from sitting, kneeling, and prone.

Dennis.

User Tag List