Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm fmj vs 45 fmj performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’ve not seen them do that. There’s a wash on the north side of the school that seems to be their highway once the cross the paved road. They haven’t been out in the grassy areas that I’ve seen, anyway. We have a lot of sports teams all afternoon and PE classes out there pretty frequently during the day.

Well. Normally.
    Ha. I did a double take. They were between the street and the fence for the school. Just chillin’ they didn’t even move when I drove by.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

"So...shooting them in 'em in the dick with a .22 is better than missing them a .50AE? Who woulda thunk that?"
    More likely to be a psychological stop than an immediate or rapid physiologic one, given the paucity of critical life sustaining anatomy in that location.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

When i first moved to Idaho I was impressed with the size of the rabbits and ended up eat a few. They are not a southern cottontail by a long shot nor are they as good as a snowshoe but I wouldn't never be hungry with jacks around.

Site Supporter
    My country Grandmother taught me that you can make most any meat edible if it’s pan fried for 3-5 minutes a side and then cooked until tender in this.

Name:  2835A13A-7093-4270-85CD-347343E9CDD3.jpeg
Views: 572
Size:  14.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    My country Grandmother taught me that you can make most any meat edible if it’s pan fried for 3-5 minutes a side and then cooked until tender in this.

Curry also works.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Insta pot before insta pot was cool. I have both of my grandmas pressure cookers described as large and oh my, you can put a whole pig in that one.

I don't even own a .45 handgun at the moment (just .380, 9mm's, and a .357 SIG), but I do tend to shoot 45 more accurately than 9mm (and even slightly more so than even .357 SIG). From what I've seen, real world data documenting shootings tends to support this (https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power).

That said, there is something to be said about "practical accuracy". I would even argue a little dispersion is better than keyholing someone as that second and third bullet might pass right through an attacker's body dumping most of its energy (not that keyholing is likely in a self-defense situation). In fact, even though the data I've seen shows .45 ACP was significantly more accurate, it was NOT more effective (or at least only marginally so). For example, 9mm's ability to incapacitate was a point higher, but that was certainly within the margin of error pertaining to its potential for failing to incapacitate someone. As such, the superior accuracy on average does not offer much of a tactical advantage (though it might make up for the less than impressive wound channel of the slower .45 projectile).

That said, .45 ACP is typically subsonic, so it also makes for a great suppressor host (because it doesn't rely as much on velocity to create energy). When 9mm is subsonic it is going to lose a lot of ft. lbs. of energy.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wonder why? Whats their diet?

Snowshoe hare is awesome
    I personally never eat the Jacks. As to the question of what they eat, they are herbivores. They like tender grasses, which for a good part of the year can be few and far between in the high desert. Sagebrush is plentiful so they go for the fresh buds/leaves on it so they will be seen sitting under a piece of brush chowing down. They will also tear into an alfalfa field pretty good, as well as a hay stack. When they do, they leave their droppings on and in the hay which can destroy much of it if the population density is high.

Snowshoe hares are a bit larger, and are actually edible (same family). They can be found, but in far lesser numbers. I see a few each year when big game hunting but don't normally shoot any due to the fact that I don't want to spook my primary quarry.

"When 9mm is subsonic it is going to lose a lot of ft. lbs. of energy."
    Why does that matter?

Of what importance is ft/lbs "energy" to terminal performance and incapacitation potential/
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    That said, .45 ACP is typically subsonic, so it also makes for a great suppressor host (because it doesn't rely as much on velocity to create energy). When 9mm is subsonic it is going to lose a lot of ft. lbs. of energy.
    147g 9mm mostly subsonic, and offers the best choice of premium 9mm defense rounds when excluding +P or +P+ offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Why does that matter?

Of what importance is ft/lbs "energy" to terminal performance and incapacitation potential/
    I'm going to go on a limb here and assume there is an assumption of subsonic ammo means downloading, as would be the case in most of the 115 and many of the 124g offerings, overlooking that 147 is subsonic in its native offerings.

User Tag List