Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 9mm fmj vs 45 fmj performance?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I don't even own a .45 handgun at the moment (just .380, 9mm's, and a .357 SIG), but I do tend to shoot 45 more accurately than 9mm (and even slightly more so than even .357 SIG). From what I've seen, real world data documenting shootings tends to support this (https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power).

That said, there is something to be said about "practical accuracy". I would even argue a little dispersion is better than keyholing someone as that second and third bullet might pass right through an attacker's body dumping most of its energy (not that keyholing is likely in a self-defense situation). In fact, even though the data I've seen shows .45 ACP was significantly more accurate, it was NOT more effective (or at least only marginally so). For example, 9mm's ability to incapacitate was a point higher, but that was certainly within the margin of error pertaining to its potential for failing to incapacitate someone. As such, the superior accuracy on average does not offer much of a tactical advantage (though it might make up for the less than impressive wound channel of the slower .45 projectile).

That said, .45 ACP is typically subsonic, so it also makes for a great suppressor host (because it doesn't rely as much on velocity to create energy). When 9mm is subsonic it is going to lose a lot of ft. lbs. of energy.
    Bro, you're trying to have a 1990's discussion on ballistics.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    That said, there is something to be said about "practical accuracy". I would even argue a little dispersion is better than keyholing someone as that second and third bullet might pass right through an attacker's body dumping most of its energy (not that keyholing is likely in a self-defense situation)..
    Seriously, your post demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the topic. "Dispersion" is an excuse for people who can't shoot. Humans aren't 2D targets and are made up of stretchy and gooey bits and you aren't going to get a fucking pass through because you hit the same spot...which you aren't going to do anyway.

Ft/Lbs =/= wounding. Energy dump is meaningless in this conversation.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Humans aren't 2D targets and are made up of stretchy and gooey bits...
    And, sadly, I find that as the years pass, I seem to have more and more stretchy and gooey bits.

Well, that doesn't sound quite like I intended, but you get the idea.

I don't even own a .45 handgun at the moment (just .380, 9mm's, and a .357 SIG), but I do tend to shoot 45 more accurately than 9mm (and even slightly more so than even .357 SIG). From what I've seen, real world data documenting shootings tends to support this (https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power).

That said, there is something to be said about "practical accuracy". I would even argue a little dispersion is better than keyholing someone as that second and third bullet might pass right through an attacker's body dumping most of its energy (not that keyholing is likely in a self-defense situation). In fact, even though the data I've seen shows .45 ACP was significantly more accurate, it was NOT more effective (or at least only marginally so). For example, 9mm's ability to incapacitate was a point higher, but that was certainly within the margin of error pertaining to its potential for failing to incapacitate someone. As such, the superior accuracy on average does not offer much of a tactical advantage (though it might make up for the less than impressive wound channel of the slower .45 projectile).

That said, .45 ACP is typically subsonic, so it also makes for a great suppressor host (because it doesn't rely as much on velocity to create energy). When 9mm is subsonic it is going to lose a lot of ft. lbs. of energy.
    I lost it at " I would even argue a little dispersion is better "

Site Supporter

@sheepdog

Go read all the stickies at the top of this forum, then read them again and study the material. We've learned a great deal about wound ballistics since a hard lesson in 1986. If you need further (credible) resources, there are plenty and I would be glad to assist you in your learning journey.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Wow.
    #RESIST

My gun isn't really good at "dispersion". Luckily, I know how to help it out.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wow.
    Really?

Most self defense shootings occur in terminals, primarily bus or airport. The "Sig" in .357 Sig stands for SIGnificantly better terminal ballistics than 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Believe me or not, that's your choice, but if you don't want to take my word for it, get out your calculator and divide 357 by 45. You'll see that 357 has 7.93 times more stopping power than 45. It's just math, people. Which is why I carry .380 -- even more stopping power than 357. Math. Just do it.

You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.

A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Really?

Most self defense shootings occur in terminals, primarily bus or airport. The "Sig" in .357 Sig stands for SIGnificantly better terminal ballistics than 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Believe me or not, that's your choice, but if you don't want to take my word for it, get out your calculator and divide 357 by 45. You'll see that 357 has 7.93 times more stopping power than 45. It's just math, people. Which is why I carry .380 -- even more stopping power than 357. Math. Just do it.
    That's Sig line material.

User Tag List