Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm fmj vs 45 fmj performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That damn thing did not give a fock about me being armed!

It was truly a pure self defense shooting.

The final shot was literally right through the top of his head, a brain shot to stop him, and I had already shot him a few times though obviously not good enough..

He just kept coming at me. Absolutely ferocious little prick.

I was literally walking backwards cussing and shooting as fast as I could get decent shots at him. I bet I shot 7-8 rounds and got 3-4 hits on him before I killed him at a distance of 3 feet with the shot through the top of the skull. That was with JHPs too.

They are worse than bears.
    When I was a child living in California, we had a huge black Manx cat who liked to go climb down badger holes and kill them. He'd then bring them home and disembowel them on the back porch. One day he disappeared and I'm pretty sure he finally found one bigger than himself.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

That damn thing did not give a fock about me being armed!

It was truly a pure self defense shooting.

The final shot was literally right through the top of his head, a brain shot to stop him, and I had already shot him a few times though obviously not good enough..

He just kept coming at me. Absolutely ferocious little prick.

I was literally walking backwards cussing and shooting as fast as I could get decent shots at him. I bet I shot 7-8 rounds and got 3-4 hits on him before I killed him at a distance of 3 feet with the shot through the top of the skull. That was with JHPs too.

They are worse than bears.
    You should give Cuomo a call. It might not take 7 shots to kill a deer, but it takes at least that much to kill a badger.

This Badger vs 2 Coyotes video is pretty funny.

You have to watch to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EH2LahSI4

Site Supporter
    This Badger vs 2 Coyotes video is pretty funny.

You have to watch to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EH2LahSI4
    The other night, my wife and I saw 7 or so coyotes crossing the road from our highway into the desert between home and the school I work at. One big one stood in the road like a road guard watching us and our Brittany, and the road each direction too. Really interesting and kind of funny.

Site Supporter
    I know that I've seen gel profiles from @DocGKR before showing FMJ performance from 9mm FMJ-RN and .45 ACP FMJ-RN. I can't find what I'm looking for right now and hope Doc will post them. I do recall that 9mm ball shows two yaw cycles during its path through gel (and other animate things) and that Black Hills image is a nearly exact match. Also interesting on this is that .22 LR HV solids show a yaw cycle also and I've noted the results of that on small game.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Look at the shape and CG of the bullets--standard 9mm NATO FMJ often demonstrates a multi-lobed yaw cycle in soft tissue, while .45 Auto USGI M1911 ball bores straight through. While a bit overly simplistic and ignoring multiple factors, in general, the higher velocity of 9mm defeats things like sheet steel and body armor better, while the greater mass of the .45 tends helps punch through things like auto glass and wall board. As always, shot placement is king and neither is optimal.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I know that I've seen gel profiles from @DocGKR before showing FMJ performance from 9mm FMJ-RN and .45 ACP FMJ-RN. I can't find what I'm looking for right now and hope Doc will post them. I do recall that 9mm ball shows two yaw cycles during its path through gel (and other animate things) and that Black Hills image is a nearly exact match. Also interesting on this is that .22 LR HV solids show a yaw cycle also and I've noted the results of that on small game.
    Are you referring to these two profiles, Wayne?

Name:  9mm 124 gr FMJRN @ 1,189fps.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  .45ACP 230 gr FMJRN @ 869fps.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  82.0 KB
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

More comparison of 9x19mm and 45 Auto at brassfetcher.com

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Simulate...an%20Body.html

Very little difference in terminal performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The other night, my wife and I saw 7 or so coyotes crossing the road from our highway into the desert between home and the school I work at. One big one stood in the road like a road guard watching us and our Brittany, and the road each direction too. Really interesting and kind of funny.
    That would be pretty cool to see.

One of our friends emailed about the pics and it brought up the topic of the jacks.

For those not familiar, jackrabbit populations go in cycles. High cycle years have absolutely incredible numbers, and it has not been unusual in years past to shoot a couple hundred rounds on a single hunt. Then when the numbers are down, you can drive for hours and not see a single jack. This also applies to the time of day/night when you hunt them.

I find that it is best to hunt them during the most severe of winter storms, or right before a blizzard, or when the weather is at its absolute coldest, as they will be most active. In the warmer months, late night, early morning is best. By mid morning they are pretty much done for the day and have taken refuge from the summer sun.

After a good storm or during a cold snap, such as below zero weather, and the hunting can be truly excellent.

Handgunning at its most fun.

Rifles get used too.

I try not to use shotguns, as that is just too easy.

When you really get bored you break out the J Frames:

More fun than a block of gel.

User Tag List