Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Pistol Magnum Primers vs. Large Pistol Primers

Small primers whether rifle or pistol, standard or magnum, made no difference in 9mm with HP38 except that Remington SP gave higher velocity than any other.
    Large magnums boosted velocity in .45 ACP + Bullseye a bit, but that was CCI magnum vs Federal standard, which is another source of variability.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

My experience was the difference between standard and magnum small rifle primers. I don't run my loads near max but I saw very little change between the two, 20 FPS, in 223. With small rifle primers, the biggest difference is in the cup thickness.

If the thickness difference applies to the large pistol magnum primers, you may want to be certain that your gun is capable of igniting them.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Years ago I was experimenting with some woods loads for my 1911 in .45 ACP using Ramshot Enforcer powder. Their load manual at the time listed over 1000fps with a 230-grain bullet. When I tried duplicating their load I was coming in much lower. So I tried out some Federal, and CCI magnum primers to see if it made any difference. The CCI magnum primers were getting me about 40fps more velocity with max loads. The Federal, on the other hand, showed no change over standard primers.

That data has since been removed from their load manuals but I was getting over 1000fps with a 230-grain bullet and 1100fps with a 200- grain.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I have used magnum small pistol primers in place of standard with 9mm and .40 many times, no issues.

There will be no functional difference between standard and magnum primers. Winchester pistol primers are labeled, "For standard or magnum loads", ever wonder why that is? Magnum primers aren't hotter than standard primers, they just burn longer. They're designed to be used with slower burning powders in order to get a more complete burn on the powder charge. The "magnum" name is something of a misnomer, as it gives users a false assumption. Unless you're using a slower powder along the lines of Alliant Blue Dot a magnum primer isn't needed, nor will it make any difference if you substitute them with faster burning powders.

Now, try mistakenly using rifle primers in your handgun loads and have about a quarter of the batch require a second or third strike to ignite, that's irritating.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    There will be no functional difference between standard and magnum primers. Winchester pistol primers are labeled, "For standard or magnum loads", ever wonder why that is? Magnum primers aren't hotter than standard primers, they just burn longer. They're designed to be used with slower burning powders in order to get a more complete burn on the powder charge. The "magnum" name is something of a misnomer, as it gives users a false assumption. Unless you're using a slower powder along the lines of Alliant Blue Dot a magnum primer isn't needed, nor will it make any difference if you substitute them with faster burning powders.

Now, try mistakenly using rifle primers in your handgun loads and have about a quarter of the batch require a second or third strike to ignite, that's irritating.
    Good post. During the Hillary panic and resulting components drought, I substituted small pistol mag primers for several thousand rounds of 9mm, and couldn't measure any velocity difference.

I use military rifle primers (CCI-41) in 9mm loads to test whether the hammer springs in my P-07s are heavy enough.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I have used magnum small pistol primers in place of standard with 9mm and .40 many times, no issues.
    My experience also, no issues, no difference. I was told once that magnum primer was designed for more complete ignition of larger charges. Not sure how this is done and they look exactly the same to my eye.
    However, I have gotten responses from the powder, primer co's out there to my emailed questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Hopefully your gun won't even chamber loads with rifle primers. Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers and the slide on semiautos should not go into battery, although I suppose there's potential for the slide hitting the protruding primer hard enough to ignite it. Revolver shouldn't even allow you to close the cylinder with large rifle primers in the cylinder.

SR & SP primers are dimensionally identical externally.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Hopefully your gun won't even chamber loads with rifle primers. Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers and the slide on semiautos should not go into battery, although I suppose there's potential for the slide hitting the protruding primer hard enough to ignite it. Revolver shouldn't even allow you to close the cylinder with large rifle primers in the cylinder.

SR & SP primers are dimensionally identical externally.
    It will and it has. Only did it once though. It made no difference in how the rounds performed, but about ten percent needed more than one primer strike. I started analyzing when I got home and realized I'd grabbed a hundred count of primers out of the wrong box on the shelf.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Concerns about regular vs magnum primers have been about accuracy. The literature suggests magnum primers to ignite slow burning powders, which in every instance are loaded in larger charges. In these instances, not using magnum primers can result in more unturned powder kernels. We view this as dirty as it burned dirty. Why? More gunk is left in the bore. With a 900 grain 45 Colt load you will see no increased pressure signs. You might even see improvement. Load'm and shoot'em.

User Tag List