Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dad's set-up in '72

My Dad's set-up in '72

Name:  60322a35a7424e5bd7f7ded6faeeb5e8.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  24.4 KB

He says using the night sight involved letting it "warm up" with the covers on, turning it off, then pulling the covers off, and he would have 20-30 seconds to spot folks in the jungle.

He was fond of the rifle, not so much the optic. He remembers loading the 20 rounders with 16.

I assume this pic is probably not a real M16A1, but close enough.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

The rifle was mounted to the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The rifle was mounted to the scope.
    But positively svelte compared to its Korean War predecessor:

Name:  snprscm3.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  25.5 KB

Night optics have come a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    But positively svelte compared to its Korean War predecessor:

Name:  snprscm3.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  25.5 KB

Night optics have come a long way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post

That pic is just full of the awesome in style, though. Green velvet jacket, ruffled shirt sleeve cuffs ...

Seeing the optic in the OP and some of the old Soviet stuff makes it look like such a pain in the ass to carry around, makes me wonder if in 10-20 years we're going to have stuff which will make the current helmet mounted nods look like they're out of the Stone age

Those things are so cool in many ways. I think I mentioned before my buddy’s dad has worked in the night vision industry since he got out of the Army in 1984’ish. Apparently, his time in the Army exposed him to many of the nascent night vision techs out there and when he got out he chose to pursue it as a career.

The ONLY time I’ve heard him talk about his military service (bear in mind I’ve known this man for nigh 30 years) was saying how during a deployment in El Salvador he had to lug an M16 with an ancient starlight around for three nights, trying to whack some dude. The finally got him and apparently the poor vision quality of the Starlight is what prompted him to get out, take his GI Bill and get an electrical engineering degree and go into night vision.

I don’t know what color his beret is...but you do the math on the types of folks deployed to El Salvador in the early 1980s...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Those things are so cool in many ways. I think I mentioned before my buddy’s dad has worked in the night vision industry since he got out of the Army in 1984’ish. Apparently, his time in the Army exposed him to many of the nascent night vision techs out there and when he got out he chose to pursue it as a career.

The ONLY time I’ve heard him talk about his military service (bear in mind I’ve known this man for nigh 30 years) was saying how during a deployment in El Salvador he had to lug an M16 with an ancient starlight around for three nights, trying to whack some dude. The finally got him and apparently the poor vision quality of the Starlight is what prompted him to get out, take his GI Bill and get an electrical engineering degree and go into night vision.

I don’t know what color his beret is...but you do the math on the types of folks deployed to El Salvador in the early 1980s...
    I am guessing he could tell you the color of the boathouse at Fort Bragg's former stockade.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

AFAIK, dad didn't have to lug the scope around outside the base at Cam Ranh. He was a lieutenant and a translator. I think he just used it to scan the perimeter at night. Neither he or anyone else thought it was worth a damn. Tech has come a LONG way. (I'm waiting for AR contacts with IR/starlight capability myself 😉 )

A few other bits:
    -Dad doesn't remember ever popping the selector switch to full auto during actual combat
    --He didn't have his M16 when hunkering down during a rocket attack and a cobra popped up in front of everyone. Guys around him did go full auto AND reload muliple times. Dad says he reloaded his 1911A1 2-3 times. No sign anyone hit the cobra.

--
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I am guessing he could tell you the color of the boathouse at Fort Bragg's former stockade.
    Maybe. I didn't even know there was a boathouse at Bragg, never thought to ask.

Like I said, I've known the guy 30-years and he is basically a mystery to me. I can tell you that he likes Budweiser, Gunsmoke, building night vision equipment, was in the Army from '76-84, and is my best friend's dad. Now you guys know all I know about him too...

User Tag List