Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile in science news.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What this reinforces more than anything else though, is that the three distinct genetic lineages (Neanderthal, Denisovan, and Anat-Mod-Human) are not that distinct and really can be viewed as evolutionary events that are regional in nature, that were eventually supplanted by the now dominant line (A-M-Human).
    That's what I had been wondering for quite a while.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

So 2020 really is the year anything can happen

https://news.uark.edu/articles/54830...-from-graphene

So now we can get Brownian motion to do work?

WTF?

Astounding. I would have been confident in saying this was pure fantasy. I hope I can eventually grok how this doesn't violate known laws of physics.

Shows what I know. The possible applications are vast.

ETA: Hey Heinlein readers: are we in "The Year of the Jackpot?"
    Last edited by Baldanders; 10-05-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

WTF?

Astounding. I would have been confident in saying this was pure fantasy. I hope I can eventually grok how this doesn't violate known laws of physics.

2020 is "hold my beer" year
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

It's the same randomness factor as getting a native North Carolinian to actually to work around these parts. In fact, I'd put my money on the Brownian concept...

(It's a joke Tarheels, it's a joke. Put down the torches. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's the same randomness factor as getting a native North Carolinian to actually to work around these parts. In fact, I'd put my money on the Brownian concept...

(It's a joke Tarheels, it's a joke. Put down the torches. )
    Don't worry, we don't expect too much from Yankees. Y'all do your best.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    "I promise we're not breaking the second law of thermodynamics" is a fun headline, most years...

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    "I promise we're not breaking the second law of thermodynamics" is a fun headline, most years...
    I'm taking what I can get in this year that resembles looking down the barrels of a double-barreled shotgun in more ways than one.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

WTF?

Looks a lot like the Cassimir Effect. Both work, but presently only at nanoscales. The technology needed to move both into macroscopic feasibility is gonna cost YUGE.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Jennifer Doudna, of UC Berkeley, won the Novel Prize for Chemistry. Her lab developed CRISPR technology for genome editing. It says something about how important CRISPR is that it's not even that old, but its discoverers are getting Nobel Prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    2020 is "hold my beer" year
    In that spirit: A Historical Epidemic Has Been Making a Scary Comeback Due to a Bacterial 'Clone'

"Once a leading cause of death for children across the western world, scarlet fever was nearly eradicated thanks to 20th century medicine. But fresh outbreaks in the UK and North East Asia over recent years suggest we've still got a long way to go.
    Just why we're experiencing a resurgence of the deadly pathogen is a mystery. A new study has uncovered clues in the genome of one of the bacterial strains responsible, showing just how complex the family tree of infectious diseases can be."

"After 2011, the global reach of the pandemic became evident with reports of a second outbreak in the UK, beginning in 2014, and we've now discovered outbreak isolates here in Australia," says University of Queensland molecular biologist Stephan Brouwer.
    "This global re-emergence of scarlet fever has caused a more than five-fold increase in disease rate and more than 600,000 cases around the world."

"One way similar organisms can evolve the same characteristics – such as advanced virulence – is for natural selection to independently fine-tune shared genes in the same way.
    But other studies have already suggested this strain of bacterium received a helping hand in the form of an infection of their own, one from a type of virus called a phage.
    "The toxins would have been transferred into the bacterium when it was infected by viruses that carried the toxin genes," says bioscientist Mark Walker, also from the University of Queensland."

"In a process known as horizontal gene transfer, a gene that evolved in one microbe can be incorporated into a virus's genome and edited into a new host's DNA, creating a kind of clone of the original.
    Though hardly limited to bacteria, it is a quick and handy way for single-celled microbes to adapt. Such stolen genes can provide pathogens with new ways to gain entry to host tissues, or resist the chemical warfare that would otherwise keep them at bay.
    In this case, it has helped a less serious strain of bacteria to develop a weapon that makes it as concerning as its vanquished cousin."

User Tag List