Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile in science news.

I sure hope the Seaview is up and running

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055608/

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wow, what a radical over-interpretation of the conclusions by the media coverage of that scientific article. The authors wrote in the actual article:

The 'culturally different cuisines' - is kind of a stretch....

...Still it's a cool study from the perspective of using mass-spec analysis of the inside of pots to determine what was being cooked. I think a cool follow-on analysis would be trying some like laser-ablating the various cooked in layers and treating a pot rather like the sedimentary layers of a pit. What was cooked first/middle/last and how that potentially reflects nomadic trends and/or resource trends on a seasonal or annual scale. Would be SUPER COOL.
    Rob, you’re such a nerd. And I genuinely mean that in a good way.

It's 2020, And Astronomers Have Just Found a New Class of Massive Space Explosions

"We thought we knew what produced the fastest outflows in nature," said astronomer Raffaella Margutt of Northwestern University.

"We thought there were only two ways to produce them - by collapsing a massive star with a gamma ray burst or two neutron stars merging. We thought that was it. With this study, we are introducing a third way to launch these outflows. There is a new beast out there, and it's able to produce the same energetic phenomenon."

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    It's 2020, And Astronomers Have Just Found a New Class of Massive Space Explosions

"We thought we knew what produced the fastest outflows in nature," said astronomer Raffaella Margutt of Northwestern University.

"We thought there were only two ways to produce them - by collapsing a massive star with a gamma ray burst or two neutron stars merging. We thought that was it. With this study, we are introducing a third way to launch these outflows. There is a new beast out there, and it's able to produce the same energetic phenomenon."

"Why are any of you surprised? Have you learned nothing from me?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

@Hambo is not going to take this lying down.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Hambo is not going to take this lying down.
    Wait, I thought what he did was done lying down?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Wait, I thought what he did was done lying down?
    Shoveling, as in many things, encompasses a broad range of methodologies. I dare to dig no deeper.

User Tag List