Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile in science news.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Shouldn't that be cutting-edge research?
    Doing that kinda research? You've gotta be pretty sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Doing that kinda research? You've gotta be pretty sharp.

Though the reportage is somewhat dull.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Shouldn't that be cutting-edge research?
    To be fair, they did call it "leading-edge research", though I'm sure they wouldn't know what to do with the trailing edge.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Though the reportage is somewhat dull.
    Unlike the research, it did lack a certain edge. Even at the end, they couldn't quite stay on point.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Scanning electron microscopy is really cool. I've been doing a side hustle working with a pathologist to create interactive images for multimedia test prep material for the US Medical Licensing Exam series. Here are images that are representative of what we've worked with so far:

the glomerulus, viewed from Bowman's space:

Fenestrated capillary endothelium:

An capillary endothelial cell - this is the terminal unit of your blood vessels. The cell itself is the entire circular object in the center - the dark grey "blob" is a red blood cell that is passing through the tubular space that represents the end of the line for your arterial circulation, ensconced entirely in a single cell, whose nucleus you can see as that hotdog-shaped object from ~ 6-8 o'clock.

the honeycomb of alveoli at the base of the lungs:

It's a really old but visually powerful technology that I wish I had more experience with. It's not actually that useful for most purposes but there is no other way to get vivid images of single cells. It makes the otherwise invisible come alive.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    A few more, all from here:

P. aeruginosa growing on cultured mouse trachea:

Salmonella:

Staph aureus (a big player in my PhD thesis)

Giardia on pig intestine:

Red blood cells:

edit: for scale: 5 um= 5 micrometers = 5x10-6 meters

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Yogi Berra
    Did blues just out himself as a time traveler?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The physics is really cool, but I'm not seeing how this is different in application from van der Waals forces, already controlled and utilized in atomic force microscopy and the surface force apparatus.
    I'm no engineer, but a few things come to mind:

1) The Casmir effect isn't dependent on electromagnetic forces, so perhaps it would be usable in applications where that would be a problem?

2) van der Waals forces are attractive, the Casmir effect allows "pushes"
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I'm no engineer, but a few things come to mind:

1) The Casmir effect isn't dependent on electromagnetic forces, so perhaps it would be usable in applications where that would be a problem?

2) van der Waals forces are attractive, the Casmir effect allows "pushes"
    I had understood Casimir as the result of e-field fluctuations in conductors, but I think you're right that is can be more broadly caused by resonant oscillations of any quantized system.

vdW can be repulsive as well, but not in air.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I had understood Casimir as the result of e-field fluctuations in conductors, but I think you're right that is can be more broadly caused by resonant oscillations of any quantized system.

vdW can be repulsive as well, but not in air.
    I was full of crap on the "push" thing, sorry it's been a while since I have done much reading about physics. But yeah, the effect is caused by quantum fluctuations in the vacuum, although it looks the temperature of the system affects that.

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-casim...-from-nothing/

After perusing the Wikipedia article, I guess repulsion IS possible as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

And as with most of physics, since I don't grok the math I probably don't understand this at all.

Sometime back I read descriptions of the Casmir Effect which presented it as arising from the Uncertainty Principle creating an imbalance of virtual particle production between two objects at close distances compared to the production of virtual particles not in the gap between the two objects. So it's sort of llike the zero point energy field pushing on the objects, which looks like an attractive force between the two. But my Google Fu is only finding links to lists of academic papers now, nothing like a pop-sci description.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    it's been a while since I have done much reading about physics..
    More physics: Spacecraft of the Future Could Be Powered By Lattice Confinement Fusion

"NASA researchers demonstrate the ability to fuse atoms inside room-temperature metals"

“What we did was not cold fusion,” says Lawrence Forsley, a senior lead experimental physicist for the project."

“Lattice confinement fusion initially has lower temperatures and pressures” than something like a tokamak, says Benyo. But “where the actual deuteron-deuteron fusion takes place is in these very hot, energetic locations.”

I don't understand most of it, but I do find it very interesting.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List