Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile in science news.

Explaining glaciers of solid methane and nitrogen on Pluto

"Planetary scientist Dr. Helen Maynard-Casely and associates have reported for the first time how solid methane and nitrogen expand in response to temperature changes and resolved an historic ambiguity relating to the structure of nitrogen."

"Nitrogen actually has two crystal structures in the range of temperatures seen on Pluto, and I was surprised that the most accepted model for the lower temperature alpha form didn't fit our data. It turned out that this is a topic that has never been resolved since the 1970s"
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Some Humans Are Carrying DNA From an Unknown Ancient Ancestor

A lot of this is over my head, but I think it's right in @RevolverRob 's wheelhouse.

Also, I'm not saying it's aliens ... but it's aliens ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

A lot of this is over my head, but I think it's right in @RevolverRob 's wheelhouse.

Cool study!

I suspect they are right to speculate Homo erectus but we may never know. The fact that ancient genomes have been sequenced from Neanderthals and Denisovans is amazing unto itself and a testament to the incredibly hard work those folks are doing. If someone finds a Homo erectus stuck in a glacier some place, maybe we'll get super lucky. But barring that, given our expectations that H. erectus died out some ~300-500,000 years ago, chances aren't good.

Undocumented or illegal?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Cool study!

I suspect they are right to speculate Homo erectus but we may never know. The fact that ancient genomes have been sequenced from Neanderthals and Denisovans is amazing unto itself and a testament to the incredibly hard work those folks are doing. If someone finds a Homo erectus stuck in a glacier some place, maybe we'll get super lucky. But barring that, given our expectations that H. erectus died out some ~300-500,000 years ago, chances aren't good.
    Even though the science, and its methods, easily confuse me, I find it all really fascinating. The discoveries being made about the origins of our specie keep on upending what we thought we knew (and/or wanted to be true). I imagine there's a lot more coming.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Undocumented or illegal?
    Depends on the administration:

That alien seems to be saying: "Define your terms"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Depends on the administration:

I thought Epstein called it the 'Lolita Express' not 'UFO'?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That alien seems to be saying: "Define your terms"
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I thought Epstein called it the 'Lolita Express' not 'UFO'?
    That's why Epstein didn't commit suicide

User Tag List