Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: MId-80's Pre-Glock Hotness?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Let me put this in terms you can understand. The dinosaurs could not conceive of supersonic flight. In much the same way, we could not conceive of 2000s era JHP design in the mid-80s. The choices were: carry a S&W with whatever .38 JHP (probably 125gr, and not +P) the department bought, or carry a 9mm with 16 rounds of 9BPLE. It seemed like a simple enough choice.
    We went from a revolver with 95 grain +P Silvertips to a 5906 with 115 grain Silvertips. In 1990 I wasn’t to keen on the 9mm but it was a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Glock 21 wasn’t released until 1990.
    I remember renting one for bowling pin shoots in the early 90s at the old indoor range in Manchester, NH. Was living in MA at the time and didn't own any firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I think given all the choices from circa 1985, if the gun had to be off the shelf the P220 would be my choice.

When I really think about it - None of the choices besides revolvers or the Sig would really hold up to high volume shooting.
    I agree, but I'd add the Beretta 92SB to the list, and maybe the Ruger P85.

So...- .45 hardball, eh?

They all fall to hardball.
    Oh my God, have you ever had someone actually say that to you though? People used to say things like that to you at the range!

As bad as the internet is, there's a little bit of a leveling effect where it's not quite as bizarre as it used to be in the days when people had to present their wacky opinions in person. 230 grain FMJ, as a legit recommendation. The mind boggles.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Let me put this in terms you can understand. The dinosaurs could not conceive of supersonic flight. In much the same way, we could not conceive of 2000s era JHP design in the mid-80s. The choices were: carry a S&W with whatever .38 JHP (probably 125gr, and not +P) the department bought, or carry a 9mm with 16 rounds of 9BPLE. It seemed like a simple enough choice.
    Truth ^^

And for civilians the 9BPLE was relatively hard to get. From that, at least in my neck of the woods came Corbon. Once that became popular, more companies started to follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I agree, but I'd add the Beretta 92SB to the list, and maybe the Ruger P85.
    I forgot about those Rugers. They were clunky guns, but one of the most rugged out there. When we had one at our range on the rental table, it required the least amount of repairs and service, and it got shot a lot.

A range with a rental table is quite the torture test for guns.

So...- .45 hardball, eh?

They all fall to hardball.
    They didn't fall to any .45 because we weren't authorized to carry them. There was also no CCW in my state at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Truth ^^

And for civilians the 9BPLE was relatively hard to get. From that, at least in my neck of the woods came Corbon. Once that became popular, more companies started to follow suit.
    CorBon worked in my Beretta, but in my 940 I couldn't extract cases, which made me question using it at all.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In 1985 sans even quasi-decent hollow points would you actually pick a 9mm handgun? I don't think I would.
    No. I didn’t start considering 9mm “serious” until Winchester introduced the first Black Talons in 1991.

User Tag List