Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Carrying and caring for the PDW

Is it just me or would the Vertx EDC ready be the perfect pack if it was just a little bigger in every direction? I know they offer the gamut but I find the layout on the EDC Ready great. The outside small organizer is a great size. The full length middle pocket is where I keep all my stuff that "lives" in the bag and comes with me everywhere. That leaves me the long main compartment and the "concealed carry pocket" for for situationally depend stuff. I just need more room!

Anyone have both the EDC Ready and Gamut? How do you like the layout comparison?

double tap.....
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 07-22-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Is it just me or would the Vertx EDC ready be the perfect pack if it was just a little bigger in every direction? I know they offer the gamut but I find the layout on the EDC Ready great. The outside small organizer is a great size. The full length middle pocket is where I keep all my stuff that "lives" in the bag and comes with me everywhere. That leaves me the long main compartment and the "concealed carry pocket" for for situationally depend stuff. I just need more room!

Anyone have both the EDC Ready and Gamut? How do you like the layout comparison?

I have the Gamut Checkpoint and the EDC Ready and I prefer the layout of the EDC Ready for the same reasons you laid out.

The one thing the EDC Ready doesn't need is the CCW pocket. It's just not practical to access quickly and seem to only be effective on the sling bags.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    The zipper on my 2012 GR1 started to come un-stitched this spring, and SCARs replaced it with no issues with a non-usa GR1 that seems to be quite well made.
    So they warrantied (via SCARS) your USA made GR1 by replacing it with non-USA made GR1? Am I reading that right?

I've not bought anything from them in few years, so I had no idea they were offering non-USA made products. Given the level in which GoRuck built their brand and pricing justification on being "100% USA Made" (they even noted USA made zippers in marketing), I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed to see them offering non-USA made packs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    I have the Gamut Checkpoint and the EDC Ready and I prefer the layout of the EDC Ready for the same reasons you laid out.

The one thing the EDC Ready doesn't need is the CCW pocket. It's just not practical to access quickly and seem to only be effective on the sling bags.
    The key to accessing the CCW pocket for me is to unclip the buckle on my off shoulder and rotate the bag. I take the big floppy zipper pull off the CCW pocket zipper as well and use a zipper pull from CountyComm on it. I also remove the other zipper pull so there is only one to grab on that part of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    So they warrantied (via SCARS) your USA made GR1 by replacing it with non-USA made GR1? Am I reading that right?

I've not bought anything from them in few years, so I had no idea they were offering non-USA made products. Given the level in which GoRuck built their brand and pricing justification on being "100% USA Made" (they even noted USA made zippers in marketing), I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed to see them offering non-USA made packs.
    Yes, you are reading it correctly. Unfortunately they have gone to producing the black GR1s overseas, and doing the ones with colors stateside. Since I wanted a black replacement, that is what I got. Also, they had initially been willing to rebuild my original GR-1 with a new zipper, but the cloth that it would have needed to tie into had frayed to the point where they could not ensure that the replacement zipper would be secure - they were still willing to try, but could not promise that it would hold up. They took the time to go back and forth until I had a solution I was happy with. Bottom line is that the SCARS guarantee service was as solid as advertised.

I also was surprised and dissapointed about the move of some production overseas, because part of the reason I bought the bag damn near a decade ago was to support U.S. manufacturing. That said, the bag held up to a disproportionate amount of abuse, and I recently bought a blue USA made GR2 because I like the form factor, and even without the 100% USA made aspect, I think it still represents value for money. I just kind of wish that they had the option to custom order some of the other models without the external molle webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Huckberry restocked the slick GR1 in both 21L and 26L.

https://huckberry.com/store/goruck/c...-gr1-slick-26l
    Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    snip I just kind of wish that they had the option to custom order some of the other models without the external molle webbing.
    I ordered a 26L GR1 slick from Huckberry. Found out about the collaboration from SouthNarc's post in this thread.

Out of stock now. But they might get more in eventually.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I ordered a 26L GR1 slick from Huckberry. Found out about the collaboration from SouthNarc's post in this thread.

Out of stock now. But they might get more in eventually.
    And what are the dimensions of these? Not apparent from the Huckberry website...

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    And what are the dimensions of these? Not apparent from the Huckberry website...
    Exact same as the normal GR1. Just minus the external MOLLE & Velcro.

https://www.goruck.com/gr1/

LPBO

Low
    Backpack
    Options

The The GR1 gets lots of love. I was intrigued by the 20L, figuring no one would think I had a gun, let alone a Rattler in one. I missed the July 4th sale, and the price of the Urban Gray went up $30, less than one mag o' 300 BLK but I decided to explore options. In the end I would up with 2 packs for just over $120.

First up, REI Signal 20. On closeout for under $40. Well padded, Kevlar slash proof fabric, dedicated laptop sleeve. It will fit the Rattler in the laptop pocket, plus assorted support gear - 3 mags in bandolier, ear pro, med kit. Not much room for more, but a light jacket and snacks might fit. At 20L, so small no one expects the Rattler Inquisition...

Next up, Orvis Safe Passage 27L. 80 bucks on closeout, sign up for email annoyance and get another $20 off. After shipping and tax, $80.

Again, this is a travel oriented pack with padding on all surfaces. Dedicated laptop sleeve in the back, interior pockets and a small sleeve in the main compartment. 8.5" upper w Law folder lots fine. 10.5 won't go, and the Law folder is too thick for the rear laptop compartment. Rattler fits, and you could actually carry 2 PDWs with the Rattler in the back, LAW AR in the front. His and hers if you will.

I'm happy - low profile, no Molle (although everything has Molle these days so I'm not sure that is a big deal) and don't look out of place in a coffee shop or the back seat of the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by Norville; 07-28-2020 at 08:11 PM.

User Tag List