Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying and caring for the PDW

What are the general contexts for walking around with these bagged? I like that these bags shown don’t scream “there’s very likely a gun in here”. I’d likely not give someone a second glance toting one of these.

Any suggestions on a safe for securing of these in a sedan? Most vehicle safes I’ve found are for trucks/SUVs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    What are the general contexts for walking around with these bagged? I like that these bags shown don’t scream “there’s very likely a gun in here”. I’d likely not give someone a second glance toting one of these.

Any suggestions on a safe for securing of these in a sedan? Most vehicle safes I’ve found are for trucks/SUVs.
    Vacation, travel, evac'ing an area due to weather etc. Backpacks are very common these days and the ability to have an AR pistol at the ready in a easily carried configuration that doesn't have to be left in a vehicle is a big plus. It's definitely not something I take with me everywhere.

I consider the Vertx bags to be "gRaY mAn" enough to blend in well in even the most gun unfriendly locations. I've taken that bag to Disneyland twice, not to carry a folded AR of course, and I've carried it about Seattle on many different occasions. On more than one occasion I've seen other Vertx bags in and around the same locations carried by people who fit in and no one gives them a second look.

I don't have an answer for you concerning safe storage, mine leaves the vehicle with me when I exit.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @GJM,

Can you please post a pic of both the APC9K and the Rattler in it? I imagine it fits quite a bit nicer than the Mk18, with the trigger guard protected by the laptop compartment.

Bonus is that you can put IIIa panels in the backpack. Grab the gun, open up the back panel and throw it over your loved one for some cursory field expedient protection while you address the threat.
    Name:  10A4E239-3932-47CB-BCC9-BE43B2C5EA1E.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  64.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post

There's a gigantic ongoing PDW thread you should probably read through that has addressed this multiple times as well as most other questions you might have, but to cut to the chase: For some this is a professional thing. For GJM, its his camper gun. For some, it's a bugout and/or travel gun. For some, it's a matter of convenience and/or discretion when going to the range. For some, it's just purely for fun.

There's a trunk safe that has been featured a couple times in the other thread by multiple members. In general though, the bag stays on you, not in the car.

But, yeah, check out the other thread....lots of great info and thoughts on the concept, various platforms, storage, etc.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Side pockets on the Gamut are also attractive,

Name:  00EB1F00-F6DA-4C16-AAE8-E1376FFD263B.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  65.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Here's the Commuter Sling, which is their mid-size sling bag. A folded Mk18 (20" long) is just a tad too long for it, but at 19" high the bag has plenty of room leftover for the Rattler and a 7.5" AR would probably fit snugly (given the extra girth created by the LAW adapter). I also have one of their Transit Slings which is smaller, which I routinely use for an off-body pistol or as a bailout bag. It is 16" high, which is the height of the Rattler.....I'm betting you'd be able to fit the Rattler, but you'd definitely be able to fit a TP9 with room to spare.

Anyways, here's the Commuter Sling:

Name:  VertXCommuter.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  VertxCommuterOpen.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  VertxCommuterback.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  99.9 KB

I have two bags for carrying around braced pistols.

The Vertx Gamut Checkpoint which replaced the Gamut Plus is a perfect size for 11.5" folding AR-15 and will have plenty of room for other stuff.

The Vertx Transit Sling is tiny so I'm much more likely to carry it. I can fit my MCK Gen 2 in it with 140mm mag in the gun. Deplying from a slig is also much quicker than deplying from a normal backpack.
    For those with the Gucci guns, the APC9K would probably be perfect for this bag.

Anyone tried the Eberlestock or Arcteryx Khard options?

https://eberlestock.com/collections/...ts/switchblade

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/no/en/c/lo...iage-equipment

I have a Khard 60 that will damn near hold a shorty AR without a folder. But it’s not low profile and looks out of place unless you’re on the trail.

@DanM was looking at getting the Eberlestock S25 for his 11.5". Not sure if he did yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @DanM was looking at getting the Eberlestock S25 for his 11.5". Not sure if he did yet.
    Haven’t yet. I’m still deciding between the S25 and the Gamut Checkpoint. I probably won’t decide until after I get the gun finished.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List