Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying and caring for the PDW

Carrying and caring for the PDW

My pack of choice is the GR1. Something I noticed is that I can feel the Rattler when carrying the pack, and I will likely need to add foam or plastic to keep from developing a hot spot with any extended carrying.

I have been carrying condition 3, which adds another step to get the PDW into action, but makes me worry less about an unprotected trigger guard and a thumb safety that moves easily.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My pack of choice is the GR1. Something I noticed is that I can feel the Rattler when carrying the pack, and I will likely need to add foam or plastic to keep from developing a hot spot with any extended carrying.

I have been carrying condition 3, which adds another step to get the PDW into action, but makes me worry less about an unprotected trigger guard and a thumb safety that moves easily.
    A lot of references to the GR1 in the other thread. Is there something about them that make them so desirable? Is it related to carrying long guns or is it the pack you like and therefore carry with it? Do you feel the rattler because the GR1 doesn’t have a plastic “frame sheet” reinforcement option?

I have been using a Vertx Gamut Plus for the better part of 2 1/2 years when I need to carry my 11.5" with LAW folder. I originally got it because my work laptop is huge and the selection of laptop bags that size are scarce. There is enough padding to where I never feel the gun while carrying it.
    Attachment 52622

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My pack of choice is the GR1.
    Is your GR1 the 21L or 26L?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The VertX Gamut is an objectively better pack for this use, FWIW. The laptop compartment is well padded and will protect your PDW if banged around, as well being supportable enough to protect the trigger guard to a degree. There's also a plastic stiffener in the back to give added support and protection which can be removed (I remove mine), but on top of that the foam padding works well regardless.

The inside also has some well laid out, flat mesh pockets to store some smaller items. The inside is also covered in loop so that you can neatly, securely and safely store things inside the main section with minimal risk of unintended trigger interactions.

Lastly, the flat section in the back is perfect for using BFG Ten-Speed elastic pouches to store extra items incase you're planning on feeding the gun from the bag. It will nicely store a 3-mag bandolier or minimalist Rhodesian rigs incase you're planning to don gear from the bag as opposed to fighting from it.

The current generation of VertX Gamuts come in nice looking casual patterns/colors. The only limiting factor is size for some of the larger PDWs, which won't be a problem for your Rattler or APC9K; the regular Gamut will squeeze a 10" barrel LAW folded AR, the Gamut Plus will squeeze a 11.5". VertX also has some sling bags that work extremely well (better) for this role than a backpack when you're looking at the smaller PDWs like Rattler and APC9K.

ETA: The front section pull away flap and its molle webbing is also excellently purposed to mount a couple tourniquets on using BFG TQ Now! straps a low-profile vacuum sealed IFAK.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-23-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A 12" Draco pistol will squeeze into the Gamut Plus too.
    Attachment 52624

Example for sizing up what you can do. Scale down as needed.....let me know if you want pics of the sling bags:

Name:  VertX.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  VertXFront.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  VertxMain.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  Accoutremounts.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  82.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is your GR1 the 21L or 26L?
    26L

I am really taken with the GR1. I love the shape, the pockets, and how it nests into tight spots. However, I just pulled out my Gamut, and I agree that is a better mouse trap for carrying a PDW. More room for the PDW, and the PDW doesn’t dig into my back. Also, the side pocket design camouflages weight better than the GR1, which appears to sag when viewed from the side with a heavy load.

@GJM,

Can you please post a pic of both the APC9K and the Rattler in it? I imagine it fits quite a bit nicer than the Mk18, with the trigger guard protected by the laptop compartment.

Bonus is that you can put IIIa panels in the backpack. Grab the gun, open up the back panel and throw it over your loved one for some cursory field expedient protection while you address the threat.

User Tag List