Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying and caring for the PDW

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    New Gamut arrived. Special color for Optics Planet, on closeout.

Attachment 53703

8.5” fits easily and 10.5” is tight but fits. Plenty of room for accessories, ammo, gear, Earpro, lunch, whatever. I moved the laptop sleeve as low as I could to make it work better.

Attachment 53704
    How deep is the compartment? I’m very interested in the DD PDW, but only if I can find something that will hold it without a folder. Collapsed length is 20.75”

I have zero complaints about the Rattler in the Vertx Ready Pack 2.0

My challenge has been finding a bag big enough for my 11.5 MCX (but not too big).

Of note for those of you wondering about the OAL length of an 11.5 MCX it's about 21.5" with the Carlson Comp (shortest muzzle device I could find, kind of a mini A1). The MCX AR lower adapter I'm using, when folded, adds 1.75" to the back of the lower, 0.5" more than LAW folder.

The Revelation II slightly smaller than I'd like for this gun. It gives a slight stretch to the bag that makes it look suspiciously rigid.

The Vertx Gamut Checkpoint (22” H x 11.5” W x 8”D) is 1.5" longer than the Gamut and that makes all the difference. When the Checkpoint is vertical and resting on the ground with the MCX muzzle on the bottom of the bag I can zip the bag closed without having to stretch it over the folding mechanism. It should still work with an A1, but longer than would be pushing it.

Checkpoint vs Ready Pack 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    How deep is the compartment? I’m very interested in the DD PDW, but only if I can find something that will hold it without a folder. Collapsed length is 20.75”
    My 10.5 with the folder is tight but zippable. It’s hard to measure folded, but it’s around 20”. You’re right on the hairy edge so the checkpoint is probably a safer option. Stock down, muzzle up without the laptop sleeve it would probably fit.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Colors on that Checkpoint look way different than on the Vertx website, and the stock photos accompanying distribution. I like it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’m liking the Tuff Products Revelation 2 there...seems like a well thought out design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    A folded Mk18 is 20" and barely squeezes in. You'll definitely want the Checkpoint.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I have zero complaints about the Rattler in the Vertx Ready Pack 2.0

My challenge has been finding a bag big enough for my 11.5 MCX (but not too big).

Of note for those of you wondering about the OAL length of an 11.5 MCX it's about 21.5" with the Carlson Comp (shortest muzzle device I could find, kind of a mini A1). The MCX AR lower adapter I'm using, when folded, adds 1.75" to the back of the lower, 0.5" more than LAW folder.

The Revelation II slightly smaller than I'd like for this gun. It gives a slight stretch to the bag that makes it look suspiciously rigid.

The Vertx Gamut Checkpoint (22” H x 11.5” W x 8”D) is 1.5" longer than the Gamut and that makes all the difference. When the Checkpoint is vertical and resting on the ground with the MCX muzzle on the bottom of the bag I can zip the bag closed without having to stretch it over the folding mechanism. It should still work with an A1, but longer than would be pushing it.

Checkpoint vs Ready Pack 2.0
    This probably isn’t the thread for it, but I’m interested in your MCX experiences over all. Round counts, impressions, etc.

Thanks

I got my Gamut 2.0 last night and today got a chance to play with the SR30. It fits OK, I would not want to try and fit anything larger in there.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what I am talking about. I have no slightest idea about urban operating stuff.
    Feel free to disregard as an amateur blah blah. I wouldn't consider this package as truly urban "blendable". I mean that it certainly is OK to carry the gun from A to B without raising questions but so is SCAR16 / tennis bag combo. Now, if I wanted to roam the city and drop by a coffee house and get a cuppa (pre-covid behavior) behind my laptop, that already larger back pack is too small or that gun is too big to allow anything else. Unless you want to use a back compartment but i am not sure it would be good for laptop and it takes out a ballistic plate option. For my purposes it doesn't mean much but I now do understnd the appeal of Rattler to EP or anti-terror folks.
    Oh, that tactigami mag pouch is a joke. I indeed started to laugh when I realized they wanted users to wrap a sandwich around AR mag.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I am beginning to think that the best way to carry a PDW or AR15-based pistol is to let my wife sling it under all the anti-COVID-19 outer layers that she wears when out and about. She has a Texas License To Carry A Handgun, so, that part is covered. Of course, it would become HER weapon, but, that is OK. A best way to preserve domestic tranquility is to buy her plenty of toys.

I just took delivery of a very well-made Eberlestock Big Trick, which can swallow a 26.5” OAL weapon, without needing to extend the “tail,” and has room to spare, for a LAW-folded DDM4V7P, but it is not going to fit the role of something I can so easily carry into upscale environments. Of course, a valid question would be, well, when we will resume going to upscale places, anyway?

My best frame of reference was when I used to tote my laptop everywhere, during a time when laptops were laptops, not “notebooks.” It raised some eyebrows, ruffled some feathers, and rubbed some fur in the wrong direction, but I asserted that I was not going to lose it all to a car burglar.

I was just dry-firing one of my nicer G17 pistols, a Gen5 that had received the Wilson Combat package with the sunburst-looking pattern on the grip texturing. (I bought it pre-owned, but like-new, so did not pay the full-kool-aid price.) I then shifted my attention to my G19x, which, at the moment, has a ACRO on a milled G45 slide. In these COVID times, dry-fire is all that happens. I cannot remember, with any certainty, when I last live-fired a Glock, but it was not in 2020. I find myself wondering how realistic it is to actually tote a folding, braced, short weapon, based upon a rifle receiver. Will one of the slightly-slimmer, urban-friendlier VertX bags make a realistic difference? (That is, mostly, a rhetorical question.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Vertx Ready Pack 2.0 hike today with the missus and daughter. 16lb pack with the contents below.

A little over 3 miles. 670ft gain. I did not use the chest or waist strap. No complaints.

User Tag List