Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying and caring for the PDW

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Gamut Checkpoint I picked up on the 7/4 sale (30% off direct from Vertx) arrived last night. It looked huge when I took it out of the box. Then I put it on, and with my 6'4" frame, it actually looks quite reasonable. I like it so far. It will be much larger than it needs to be for what I'm going to carry in it. Will be spending some time getting it set up.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

11.5" AR pistol, 3 spare mags, a med kit, sling, some beef jerky, some puppy fur, and a couple other things. I keep a casual eye out for a bag that would be equal to or better than the Vertx Gamut Plus, but I've yet to find it.
    Attachment 57392

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    11.5" AR pistol, 3 spare mags, a med kit, sling, some beef jerky, some puppy fur, and a couple other things. I keep a casual eye out for a bag that would be equal to or better than the Vertx Gamut Plus, but I've yet to find it.
    Attachment 57392
    I was going to purchase this to carry my 11.5 with the Law folder but apparently it isn't made anymore. The new version (Gamut 2.0) only has a 20.5" compartment. I ended up going with the 5.11 AMP72 but I like the looks of the Gamut Plus more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I was going to purchase this to carry my 11.5 with the Law folder but apparently it isn't made anymore. The new version (Gamut 2.0) only has a 20.5" compartment. I ended up going with the 5.11 AMP72 but I like the looks of the Gamut Plus more.
    The Gamut Checkpoint is what replaced the Plus. You may be able to find one used though.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Tried the Vertx Ready Pack 2.0, since the Checkpoint had so much extra room. It looks like a normal backpack and the Mk18 upper with Law Tactical folder fits, despite initial appearance to the contrary. The A2 grip makes for a tight squeeze, but that came with the rest of the budget-brand pistol kit, and was going to get swapped anyways.

Name:  ready-pack-1.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  ready-pack-2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  ready-pack-3.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  100.7 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Tried the Vertx Ready Pack 2.0, since the Checkpoint had so much extra room. It looks like a normal backpack and the Mk18 upper with Law Tactical folder fits, despite initial appearance to the contrary. The A2 grip makes for a tight squeeze, but that came with the rest of the budget-brand pistol kit, and was going to get swapped anyways.

Name:  ready-pack-1.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  ready-pack-2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  ready-pack-3.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  100.7 KB
    You can also carry it barrel up, which puts the bulkiest part of the gun at the bottom of the bag.

Site Supporter
    @Chance - what overall length are you down to with the LAW folder folded? 21”? 22”?
    Just trying to see what backpack options will work for me.

With a mag, a tall LaRue mount, and a T1. Not sure that's how I would carry it, but it's possible.

Name:  ready-pack-5.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  95.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    You can also carry it barrel up, which puts the bulkiest part of the gun at the bottom of the bag.
    I can't get that to work. The additional pockets / material at the bottom of the bag prevent the receiver from squeezing far enough to get the muzzle in.

Name:  ready-pack-4.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  99.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    @Chance - what overall length are you down to with the LAW folder folded? 21”? 22”?
    Just trying to see what backpack options will work for me.
    Muzzle to the back of the receiver is 20". By the time you factor in the hinge and latch, it's about 21" total.

Name:  ready-pack-6.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  68.3 KB
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

As a side note: both the Vertx Checkpoint and Ready Pack 2.0 are available on Amazon right now with free returns (at least in my region). When I didn't like the Checkpoint, I dropped it off at Kohl's, had Amazon credit in my account within about two hours, and picked up the Ready Pack to try. Worth the hassle if you don't want to spend that kind of money just to discover your rifle doesn't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I couldn’t resist the GoRuck sale. When I was buying my wife a GR1 in blue for her Rattler, I saw this Bullet 15L for y under $100. Carries the Rattler just fine and looks hardly bigger than the Fjallraven kid’s pack.

Attachment 57365

Attachment 57366
    Here is what I really like about the little 15L Bullet. My GR1 is loaded up with a lot of stuff, and that makes it heavy and large enough that I don’t want to lug it every time I get out of the car or go on a hike. The problem is I don’t want to leave the Rattler in the vehicle. With the Bullet to drop the Rattler in, it is light enough to hike and small enough to go in places the larger GR1 looks out of place.

Name:  5ED50291-D6D4-456A-ABBB-E133571DDC4D.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  39.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List