Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PDW drills and shooting reports

PDW drills and shooting reports

Seems like a good time to separate the drills and shooting from the general PDW discussion.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I shot the Rattler at 100 yards this morning. It was off a bench, supported by a 30 round magazine. Blast wasn’t too bad, despite the covered roof.

I fired six shots, cold at 100 yards, three with 110 Hornady VMAX and three with 110 Barnes. This was the VMAX:

Name:  D1B9CBDC-E485-48D8-84D1-BAF565F0C8F0.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  25.8 KB

This was the 110 Barnes:

Name:  FDCB805A-7077-43BE-88BE-8863175E459D.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  26.4 KB

Based on these two groups, I made an adjustment right.

Afterwards, I shot a Q Fix 6.5 with a sixteen inch barrel and the Cherry Bomb muzzle device. Concussion wise, it was brutal, way louder than the Rattler.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I shot the Rattler at 100 yards this morning. It was off a bench, supported by a 30 round magazine. Blast wasn’t too bad, despite the covered roof.

I fired six shots, cold at 100 yards, three with 110 Hornady VMAX and three with 110 Barnes. This was the VMAX:

Name:  D1B9CBDC-E485-48D8-84D1-BAF565F0C8F0.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  25.8 KB

This was the 110 Barnes:

Name:  FDCB805A-7077-43BE-88BE-8863175E459D.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  26.4 KB

Based on these two groups, I made an adjustment right.

Afterwards, I shot a Q Fix 6.5 with a sixteen inch barrel and the Cherry Bomb muzzle device. Concussion wise, it was brutal, way louder than the Rattler.
    Thanks for the info. Subscribing to this thread.

And you have a 6.5CM Fix?? Are y’all looking to adopt? Because it seems you have every gun on my list of must haves. Lol!

I'll bite.

The drills below I ran with my KPOS Scout (with Gen 4 G19). I should note that when I ran these drills I had not shot a carbine in literally years. I have quite a bit of time on carbines, particularly my 10.5" AR, so it's not a foreign concept to me, but I was/am rusty with them. I wanted to benchmark it against known pistol drills to see if there was an improvement. Coles notes are that, yes, it's easier to shoot the PDW faster/more accurate than I can a pistol.

Once zeroed I was able to get a 91-1X at 25 yards, offhand, on a B8. I can do as well or better with a pistol, so no great improvement there.

15 yards offhand. POA was the green dot. Shooting fast. This is a better result than what I could do at that speed with a pistol.

I ran a few Bill drills from low ready. I was able to pull off a 1.46 clean run. First shot was a very slow .62 followed by .16, .16, .16, .17, .19. This is .4-.5 seconds faster than my best holstered Bill times.

I also ran half accelerators in the 2.5 to 3.1 range. It was very easy to keep shots in the A zone at this pace, which is not so easy with a pistol, at all.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Due to the ammo shortages and rationing, I had to spread out the Ammo orders to get enough to satisfy my OCD. Today this came and the Rattler is finally moving through Fedex. I hope to get to shoot it on Monday. I think GJMs video is a good representation of how easy the gun is for a high level shooter. I hope to get some data for an average shooter by having my wife run it at close/medium range compared to a .556 carbine. I expect some loss but I’m not sure how much. I’m optimistic.

Name:  A7D84F8B-7B1E-450C-8FC2-B1ED3D9E65FB.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  43.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I'll bite.

The drills below I ran with my KPOS Scout (with Gen 4 G19). I should note that when I ran these drills I had not shot a carbine in literally years. I have quite a bit of time on carbines, particularly my 10.5" AR, so it's not a foreign concept to me, but I was/am rusty with them. I wanted to benchmark it against known pistol drills to see if there was an improvement. Coles notes are that, yes, it's easier to shoot the PDW faster/more accurate than I can a pistol.

Once zeroed I was able to get a 91-1X at 25 yards, offhand, on a B8. I can do as well or better with a pistol, so no great improvement there.

15 yards offhand. POA was the green dot. Shooting fast. This is a better result than what I could do at that speed with a pistol.

I ran a few Bill drills from low ready. I was able to pull off a 1.46 clean run. First shot was a very slow .62 followed by .16, .16, .16, .17, .19. This is .4-.5 seconds faster than my best holstered Bill times.

I also ran half accelerators in the 2.5 to 3.1 range. It was very easy to keep shots in the A zone at this pace, which is not so easy with a pistol, at all.
    Could a lefty shoot that without getting gas/brass to the face?

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Due to the ammo shortages and rationing, I had to spread out the Ammo orders to get enough to satisfy my OCD. Today this came and the Rattler is finally moving through Fedex. I hope to get to shoot it on Monday. I think GJMs video is a good representation of how easy the gun is for a high level shooter. I hope to get some data for an average shooter by having my wife run it at close/medium range compared to a .556 carbine. I expect some loss but I’m not sure how much. I’m optimistic.

Name:  A7D84F8B-7B1E-450C-8FC2-B1ED3D9E65FB.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  43.7 KB
    I’d be interested to hear how your wife shoots the Rattler compare to a 5.56 AR.

In terms of evaluating performance, I think there should be a difference in how we look at 9mm vs a rifle caliber. With the APC9 Pro, for example, I want to see significantly better performance than with the pistol, since we are talking about the same cartridge as in your pistol. With 5.56/.300 BLK, you are bringing significantly more horsepower to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In terms of evaluating performance, I think there should be a difference in how we look at 9mm vs a rifle caliber. With the APC9 Pro, for example, I want to see significantly better performance than with the pistol, since we are talking about the same cartridge as in your pistol. With 5.56/.300 BLK, you are bringing significantly more horsepower to the situation.
    That’s exactly how I see it. This is why I am going to compare her to the 11.5inch 556 rather than the MP5K. She’s no Benny Cooley with the .556 carbine but her performance is acceptable and better than a pistol in several ways. I expect the rattler to be even less performance than that but the “horsepower” as you say is an advantage that crosses the performance line somewhere on a graph.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    That’s exactly how I see it. This is why I am going to compare her to the 11.5inch 556 rather than the MP5K. She’s no Benny Cooley with the .556 carbine but her performance is acceptable and better than a pistol in several ways. I expect the rattler to be even less performance than that but the “horsepower” as you say is an advantage that crosses the performance line somewhere on a graph.
    I wouldn’t put any preconceived notion in her head, but after shooting both, I am very interested in her perception of the difference in concussion between the two.

User Tag List