Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Making do with Sub-par ARs

Making do with Sub-par ARs

I have two ARs that I bought when I definitely didn’t know what I didn’t know. One is a Ruger AR556 with Magpul furniture, an Arisaka light, a Holosun dot, and 3400 problem-free rounds through it. The other is a freefloated Stag upper on an 80% lower (yeah, I really didn’t know) with a Sig dot, Streamllight HL-X, and 1500 problem-free rounds through it. Both have Geissele G2S triggers, go figure. If I could snap my fingers and turn both of these into one Colt/SOLGW/BCM I would. But even aside from being unable to sell an 80% lower, I could never get the money for a decent new rifle out of these, at least not in the current market. And I definitely don’t have new rifle money otherwise – for now, I have to make the best of what I have. I’m currently using the Ruger as my HD long gun option, and it’s set up exactly as a KISS Colt would be for HD, except it’s not a Colt. I actually prefer it to the Stag ergonomically, so a used or new old stock 6920/6720 is high on my list of future options.

Question is – is it worthwhile to get some chamber gauges to check headspacing and, assuming it’s fine, swap the better staked, shrouded firing pin Stag BCG into the rifle I’m actually using to replace the barely “staked,” exposed firing pin BCG that Ruger uses? Or do I just leave everything as-is until I can buy the better rifle (possibly with an Aimpoint PRO purchase between now and then)? I guess the specific question is, if I have 3400 rounds on a sub-par BCG and it’s been fine, does that mean it will likely continue to be fine or that failure is just growing more likely?

Granted, I am more likely than not just overthinking things to make up for the fact that the correct solution is currently outside my reach.

I’m also open to any better ideas, even if it’s just “shoot your guns and shut up.”

P.S. First post but I’ve been lurking for a while, this forum is a huge part of how I learned what I didn’t know in the first place.

Welcome!

Instead of looking to replace a complete rifle completely, consider picking up the upper and lower as separate assemblies.

For a while I was running a poverty pony lower on a PSA upper. Last year I picked up a used BCM 16” upper for under $400 (without the BCG) and sent the PSA upper to a new home. A couple of weeks ago I snagged a complete BCM lower so now I have an all BCM (except BCG) rifle for under $850. It just took searching (which is fun to me) and patience (which isn’t my strong suit). I’ll probably keep the Anderson lower for a range toy build but it wouldn’t be hard to sell it and offset the cost of the new lower.

I’d see if I could source a gently used, complete, quality upper to drop onto the Ruger lower and drive on until you find the lower you want at your price point.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

subpar or not, are they not meeting an expectation/use you have, or do you just want a higher quality gun just because?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In all likelihood if they have that many trouble-free rounds on them they're probably fine. At the same time, it depends on how you shoot. 1,000 rounds slow fire from the bench is not equal to 1,000 rounds over a 2-day carbine class. Guns do different things when they get hot or dirty.

I'm not saying this is what you should do, but if I woke up in your shoes tomorrow, here's what I'd do:

Sell both G2S triggers @ $100/ea = $200
    Sell Ruger complete = $500
    Sell Stag upper = $350
    Sell Stag LPK + stock as a lower build kit = $50
    Sell cheap dots = $200 (maybe more, I sold a Romeo 5 I had on a 15-22 for $125 in like 5 min on ARFCOM)
    Sell one light = $100

That puts you at $1,400.

You can pick up a used PRO for $350 all day long.

$379 BCM Lower: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...RAVO%2bCOMPANY

$852.90 BCM 16" mid length upper with 13" MCMR freefloat handguard, BCG, CH. (https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...-13-handguard/)

If you don't mind buying used and you shop, you can get a quality upper for cheaper too.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    subpar or not, are they not meeting an expectation/use you have, or do you just want a higher quality gun just because?
    Fair question. They work for what I use them for (one on hand for HD, range use, one class so far), but I'd say I don't necessarily trust them to keep working based on what I know now. Namely, that "an AR is an AR" isn't true. I'll admit a part of this is definitely that I would subjectively feel better owning a higher quality rifle.

Great suggestions on selling parts and buying a quality upper first. I'll look into both of those, and maybe a combination of the two.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If you've got 3,400 rounds through the gun I wouldn't worry too much about it. Should you be aiming to put 30,000 through it in training? Probably not...but if you can't afford to buy a better rifle that's probably not a realistic concern for you anyway.

Higher quality parts and better quality control in manufacture and assembly typically yields a product that works better out of the box and provides a longer service life. This is not to say that a Ruger AR will not work. It's more likely to have issues out of the box and likely won't endure the round count that a BCM does without breaking things in high volume shooting. But any given sample of Ruger AR can work just fine.

The problem most have is buying the "just as good as" gun without actually proving the equipment. They buy it because it's cheaper and then they don't shoot it, preferring to spend all their time on the internet flapping their gums about inflated round counts.

I've seen a fair number of Ruger ARs in the wild and all I've seen have worked. Yours certainly seems to be working...so don't be in a hurry to do anything with it.
    3/15/2016

IMHO, AR15 rifles are a learning experience. Kind of like holsters, just more expensive. We all end up with a box o’ bad decisions. If you can sell off your bad decisions then you’re ahead, otherwise they aren’t eating anything stashed in the safe against future need.

If the Ruger has been GTG just keep chugging along with it. If the BCG bothers you, buy a quality replacement, check headspace and run it. Upgrade the upper and sighting system as funds allow.

DSG often has decent pricing on parts,

https://dsgarms.com/upper-receiver-p...-group-auto-mp

https://dsgarms.com/complete-uppers-...6elwf-kmr-a-15

Then buy a Bravo Co lower or similar and you’ll be on your way to your next set of bad decisions/ educational experiences.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A wise question.

I think that AR quality is largely overblown for most shooters. I am NOT saying that it doesn’t matter - a I’m just saying that too many people worry about the roll stamp on their rifle instead of actually learning to use it.

To the OP

The time to do your research on the rifle is before you bought it. Now that you have your rifles just suck it up and make lemonade out of your lemons. Take a good look at your rifles and look for any problem areas and fix them - then shoot them and use them as intended.

The fact of the matter is that most commercial or sporting grade ARs will serve there owners and their intended purpose (Including self defense) for their lifetime. Plus after a few thousand trouble free rounds you will have vetted the rifle that you can trust. I would make sure they are staked right but wouldn’t worry about other issues as they are most likely fine from the factory.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-23-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    If you don't mind buying used and you shop, you can get a quality upper for cheaper too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Fair question. They work for what I use them for (one on hand for HD, range use, one class so far), but I'd say I don't necessarily trust them to keep working based on what I know now. Namely, that "an AR is an AR" isn't true. I'll admit a part of this is definitely that I would subjectively feel better owning a higher quality rifle.

Great suggestions on selling parts and buying a quality upper first. I'll look into both of those, and maybe a combination of the two.
    Yup yup.

Honestly I would just keep an eye on the for sale section here. I just got rid of two BCMs, priced the complete rifles at $1000.

Somebody is always willing to get rid of an upper they don't realize they no longer want. I'd be halfway surprised if someone doesn't PM you with an offer just from this thread alone.

Though, honestly, I don't think your Ruger is a low quality weapon. Replace the BCG with a quality BCG, either a standard USGI HPT/MPI on the low end or a SIONICS NP3 BCG setup on the high end, and keep an eye on your gas block. Get the castle nut staked if it isn't (or replace it with a PWS ratchet) and you really shouldn't have any major issues with your rifle outside that.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If you've got 3,400 rounds through the gun I wouldn't worry too much about it. Should you be aiming to put 30,000 through it in training? Probably not...but if you can't afford to buy a better rifle that's probably not a realistic concern for you anyway.

Higher quality parts and better quality control in manufacture and assembly typically yields a product that works better out of the box and provides a longer service life. This is not to say that a Ruger AR will not work. It's more likely to have issues out of the box and likely won't endure the round count that a BCM does without breaking things in high volume shooting. But any given sample of Ruger AR can work just fine.

The problem most have is buying the "just as good as" gun without actually proving the equipment. They buy it because it's cheaper and then they don't shoot it, preferring to spend all their time on the internet flapping their gums about inflated round counts.

I've seen a fair number of Ruger ARs in the wild and all I've seen have worked. Yours certainly seems to be working...so don't be in a hurry to do anything with it.
    The issue with cheap ARs like Ruger and PSA isn’t that they are all horrible it’s that it’s like the proverbial box of chocolates- you may get one that is properly assembled and has no defective parts or you might not.

Just rocking on and replacing parts as needed if you are 3400 rounds in is not wrong but with the caveat that that will not be everyone’s experience with Ruger ARs.

User Tag List