Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Making do with Sub-par ARs

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    They make several variations, including this one that is intentionally tiny:
    https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118
    And this one that looks kinda small:
    https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118
    I have this one and it seems normal girth:
    https://magpul.com/catalog/product/v...obal_color=118
    that's good to know. I guess. I think my experience was from a time when only the little baby grip was available, back when all this grip-angle nonsense was really kicking off and people seemed to be in a race to have the tiniest and most vertical grip because:cqb or something.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    that's good to know. I guess. I think my experience was from a time when only the little baby grip was available, back when all this grip-angle nonsense was really kicking off and people seemed to be in a race to have the tiniest and most vertical grip because:cqb or something.
    I ordered the original K grip anyway, even if it may end up being tiny. If it sucks I'll try the Strike Industries 20° grip next. Worst case scenario I can live with the K2, I feel like there are probably rapidly diminishing returns to trying out different AR PGs.

I started shooting an AR in NRA Highpower competition in 1987, then three gun in the mid 90's and through the first decade of this century. The whole time I ran an A1 or A2 grip, then tried the Ergo which is the same angle as the A2, then the first Moe grip. Now, although I no longer compete, I find I do my best AR work with the K2 above all others.

My only theory on why that is so, is less extension of my wrist in most situations and most positions. Everybody is different.

I just picked up a B5 Systems grip. It is more vertical than a standard A2 and has great stippling. Haven’t installed it yet so not all that much to report.

No storage compartment if that matters. I like to keep a spare battery in my K2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I just picked up a B5 Systems grip. It is more vertical than a standard A2 and has great stippling. Haven’t installed it yet so not all that much to report.

No storage compartment if that matters. I like to keep a spare battery in my K2s.
    Let me know how you like it vs. the K2 in particular.

Here’s what I’ve been trying to reason out, having been out of the game for awhile...

When I started out, most people were running stocks “one click out” to “be in a fighting stance” and “present your plate to the threat” and whatever. The angled grip was never really comfortable for that, but the grips of the day were the A2, A1, duckbill, tango down, eventually the OG Magpul grip.. but all were angled, to really comfortable for that style shooting.

Now everyone is running sticks out, “one click in”, A1 length, etc. but the grips are all getting more and more vertical, which isn’t really ideal for that longer stock position and more bladed stance.

I have some grips that are more vertical, and I’ve tried them with the longer stock length, but for me it feels like going to the longer stock just kind of “clicked” with the grips I liked anyway like the Tango Down.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Here’s what I’ve been trying to reason out, having been out of the game for awhile...

When I started out, most people were running stocks “one click out” to “be in a fighting stance” and “present your plate to the threat” and whatever. The angled grip was never really comfortable for that, but the grips of the day were the A2, A1, duckbill, tango down, eventually the OG Magpul grip.. but all were angled, to really comfortable for that style shooting.

Now everyone is running sticks out, “one click in”, A1 length, etc. but the grips are all getting more and more vertical, which isn’t really ideal for that longer stock position and more bladed stance.

I have some grips that are more vertical, and I’ve tried them with the longer stock length, but for me it feels like going to the longer stock just kind of “clicked” with the grips I liked anyway like the Tango Down.
    I am still learning WTF i should be doing with these guns but so far I have gone with a more squared-to-target stance when shooting in the action pistol bays, as it is much more similar to the isosceles grip/stance with a handgun. When shooting bench/prone/from support this is obviously different. I've noticed I don't mind, and actually prefer, the APEG (with A2 grip angle) when shooting supported - especially with a bipod, but prefer something K2 ish otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Let me know how you like it vs. the K2 in particular.
    Finally got to put it on a lower. I don’t have a protractor, but it seems a hair less vertical than a K2. Smaller in diameter and stippling is different, almost feels like a Magpul 870 forend I did myself.

I like it, but can’t decide if I want K2s as standard, or if it even makes a difference. I do like to be able to keep a spare WML battery in the grip but I’m not above duct tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List