Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to edged weapons training

I would go Southnarc, Amok or Redzone. MBC is simplified Filipino stuff. I recommend you reach out to Jackdog and ask him to put you in contact with someone in your area.

Sometimes I watch IG clips or read forum posts and think about the non-weapons-interested people that just by pure universe chi end up in a BJJ school with Cecil, Craig, Paul Sharp, Shawn Lupka has become "that guy" at his academy. What an incredible resource to have local access to!

Short answer as has been said: if your kid's BJJ academy isn't interested in that world (even sniffing out other students that are as training partners), finding a good foundation via Craig etc. is probably a good place to start. I haven't taken EWO yet but when I get to a "knife class" that will 100% be it. Cecil's IABJJ class gave me some strong food for thought on the implementation of known fundamentals and concepts in a weapon-present environment as well.

I'm a BJJ quitter. I started training pre-ECQC because I had no idea what I was doing on the ground, zero. I just wasn't "bitten" by BJJ and that's on me. One big oof though was one night a few weeks after I took ECQC we drilled knife and gun disarms (that I think are part of the larger training curriculum) and all I could think the whole time was "no, no, no, no, god no." Not only were they ineffective in a non-consensual context, when they aren't effective, that can really only mean they are also dangerous for people to think they have an understanding of IMO.

Glad your kid is training though, that's a big start!
    Last edited by Adam; 04-24-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I would also suggest EWO, but I would also add Chris Fry's Small Knife class. Now that he is a training director for a large group, he is not doing nearly as many open enrollment courses, but it is something to keep an eye on. He does a brilliant job of getting over concepts that actually can be put into immediate use. I have stolen a ton of things from Chris.

No personal experience, but Chris is a big fan of Tom Sotis' AMOK knife program, so based on his thoughts, I would look into that as well.

One bit of info I would strongly urge is to NOT spend much time in the beginning trying to learn the integration of weapons when you don't know the H2H side to start with. For some reason, everyone seems to want this in a hurry, but there needs to be minimal components that are functional before you can truly get anything by putting them together. Get some experience at grappling, and get a bit of understanding on how to use a blade (which fortunately is simple and straight forward for practical needs and does not take a long time) and then worry about putting them together. No one would tell someone who has never fired a pistol before to take a CQB/room clearing class for his "learning" of pistol work. We all know having a basic skill set of gun handling is a better use of time before you start trying to clear a house. The same goes for combatives integration. And honesty, I could argue that the combatives side (especially in regards to grappling) is far more complex than room clearing.
    @mrpink has been trying to get me into AMOK for a while and says good things about it.

Sotis and the South African crew under Marc Human have very solid approaches. I only took a class with Tom but I did do some privates with Marc in Cape Town. For sure Marc's stuff has been thoroughly vetted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Sotis and the South African crew under Marc Human have very solid approaches. I only took a class with Tom but I did do some privates with Marc in Cape Town. For sure Marc's stuff has been thoroughly vetted.
    Among other courses with Tom Sotis, I was in the Knife/Pistol class in VA that he brought Mark Human over for. I am much impressed with both gentlemen.

Always have a gun.......................

I’ve really enjoyed the Libre Fighting DVDs, it seems to be a pretty simple system. I have a few years in BJJ and some minor boxing experience so that definitely helped applying virtual lessons to a Bob dummy.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Take boxing lessons.

Replace punching with stabbing and there ya go

As for defending against a knife, pretty much all knife defense stuff is unrealistic if you have an aggressive persob trying to stab you. Use something to make space (such as a chair) and either beat them with it or use that space to get to your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Take boxing lessons.

Replace punching with stabbing and there ya go
    There a lot of truth in this. Just learning how to move and connect power through the hips and torso is crucial.

If I could roll with the Shiv Works PD in daily life here that would make me very happy at work.

As an aside the LE branch of my agency doesn’t care if I have a tomahawk in my work bag so there’s a massive temptation to revisit the FMA hawk stuff.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List