Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to edged weapons training

How to edged weapons training

Out of curiosity how does one obtain training in edged weapons?
    My son started BJJ but its apparently not the correct place to learn weapons incorporated with combatives.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Out of curiosity how does one obtain training in edged weapons?
    My son started BJJ but its apparently not the correct place to learn weapons incorporated with combatives.
    It is if you train with @Cecil Burch.

After working with folks like Eric Remmen, Felix Valencia, Bram Frank, Mike Janich and Craig Douglas, I would say that you can gain a quick and dirty proficiency fastest with Mike/MBC and Craig/EWO. I’d take a weekend with either guy any time, but I’d fly and pay for a good hotel for EWO with Craig again.

I *really* liked EWO. So did one of my classmates—who just so happened to be a pioneer of the Marine Corps martial arts program. I’m not sure my opinion is worth anything, but his sure is.

As an aside, I enjoy traditional FMA play a lot, but I’m not personally convinced of the efficacy of the traditional training methods. OMMV, and all that.

Big fan of EWO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    It is if you train with @Cecil Burch.

After working with folks like Eric Remmen, Felix Valencia, Bram Frank, Mike Janich and Craig Douglas, I would say that you can gain a quick and dirty proficiency fastest with Mike/MBC and Craig/EWO. I’d take a weekend with either guy any time, but I’d fly and pay for a good hotel for EWO with Craig again.

I *really* liked EWO. So did one of my classmates—who just so happened to be a pioneer of the Marine Corps martial arts program. I’m not sure my opinion is worth anything, but his sure is.

As an aside, I enjoy traditional FMA play a lot, but I’m not personally convinced of the efficacy of the traditional training methods. OMMV, and all that.

Big fan of EWO.
    Thats what I was afraid the answer was going to be. He was signed up for a CB two day but it was canceled so now we are looking at the August class. CD is on the list too but i think a bit more time in bjj plus the CB IAJJ/IAC before he goes that route. Thanks for solid advice

I don’t know much about it, but Mike does have a distance learning program... https://www.martialbladeconcepts.com...arning-program

With the pandemic, something like this might be your best option for the time being.

Another vote for Craig's Edged Weapon Overview. @RevolverRob and I learned a lot in a very short period of time.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I would also suggest EWO, but I would also add Chris Fry's Small Knife class. Now that he is a training director for a large group, he is not doing nearly as many open enrollment courses, but it is something to keep an eye on. He does a brilliant job of getting over concepts that actually can be put into immediate use. I have stolen a ton of things from Chris.

No personal experience, but Chris is a big fan of Tom Sotis' AMOK knife program, so based on his thoughts, I would look into that as well.

One bit of info I would strongly urge is to NOT spend much time in the beginning trying to learn the integration of weapons when you don't know the H2H side to start with. For some reason, everyone seems to want this in a hurry, but there needs to be minimal components that are functional before you can truly get anything by putting them together. Get some experience at grappling, and get a bit of understanding on how to use a blade (which fortunately is simple and straight forward for practical needs and does not take a long time) and then worry about putting them together. No one would tell someone who has never fired a pistol before to take a CQB/room clearing class for his "learning" of pistol work. We all know having a basic skill set of gun handling is a better use of time before you start trying to clear a house. The same goes for combatives integration. And honesty, I could argue that the combatives side (especially in regards to grappling) is far more complex than room clearing.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I would also suggest EWO, but I would also add Chris Fry's Small Knife class. Now that he is a training director for a large group, he is not doing nearly as many open enrollment courses, but it is something to keep an eye on. He does a brilliant job of getting over concepts that actually can be put into immediate use. I have stolen a ton of things from Chris...
    I don’t know Chris well at all , but I took his module at PeP3, and it was rock solid. Plus, you and Craig hang with him, so I’m way in, if he ever gets to the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I would also suggest EWO, but I would also add Chris Fry's Small Knife class. Now that he is a training director for a large group, he is not doing nearly as many open enrollment courses, but it is something to keep an eye on. He does a brilliant job of getting over concepts that actually can be put into immediate use. I have stolen a ton of things from Chris.

No personal experience, but Chris is a big fan of Tom Sotis' AMOK knife program, so based on his thoughts, I would look into that as well.

One bit of info I would strongly urge is to NOT spend much time in the beginning trying to learn the integration of weapons when you don't know the H2H side to start with. For some reason, everyone seems to want this in a hurry, but there needs to be minimal components that are functional before you can truly get anything by putting them together. Get some experience at grappling, and get a bit of understanding on how to use a blade (which fortunately is simple and straight forward for practical needs and does not take a long time) and then worry about putting them together. No one would tell someone who has never fired a pistol before to take a CQB/room clearing class for his "learning" of pistol work. We all know having a basic skill set of gun handling is a better use of time before you start trying to clear a house. The same goes for combatives integration. And honesty, I could argue that the combatives side (especially in regards to grappling) is far more complex than room clearing.
    No hurries just trying to get a feel. Your class in Aug will be his first with knives involved. Hes home now Cecil so hopefully the local gym with multiple Gracie lineage black belts will open soon and he will get some decent additional experience before August.
    Right now hes working out everyday and doing online classes.

I've done an AMOK class it was a blast, great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I don’t know Chris well at all , but I took his module at PeP3, and it was rock solid. Plus, you and Craig hang with him, so I’m way in, if he ever gets to the west coast.

Correction - we LET him hang out with us...........
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List