Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to edged weapons training

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVee View Post
    @mrpink has been trying to get me into AMOK for a while and says good things about it.
    I've done a bunch of knife stuff in the past, but I really like AMOK because because, much like BJJ, they test the techniques against resisting training partners. I got to take a class from Tom when he came to Virginia and then shortly after that subscribed to his videos, so I could practice at home. https://amok.global/videos/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    I've done a bunch of knife stuff in the past, but I really like AMOK because because, much like BJJ, they test the techniques against resisting training partners. I got to take a class from Tom when he came to Virginia and then shortly after that subscribed to his videos, so I could practice at home. https://amok.global/videos/

Where we in the Shivworks Collective has put the majority of our time and study is in the access and deployment of a blade (any weapon actually), especially at ranges where an entanglement is already happening, or there is a strong possibility it will happen. This was an area that was given almost no thought in the self-defense world (whether firearm or H2H oriented), so it was badly needed. We certainly spend time on the use of it deployed, and some time on it at range. Where AMOK shines IMO is the unattached range where the blade is already out or there is no real chance of the draw being impeded. As Mr Pink states above, they put a lot of time into going against resisting opponents at range. It is very good methodology. One of my seminar hosts spent time in Thailand doing days long private training sessions with Mr Sotis and he got a lot out of it.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Kali

If you live where there is a reputable class teaching Kali, by definition, it is a Philippine martial art with emphasis of empty hand, stick and knife fighting. They don't solely concentrate on knives, but it is part of the evolving curriculum. Unlike Karate, Kali is not so much a sport but a more aggressive form of martial arts. I've been studying about a year and am just touching the surface. In the past I have studied many forms of Karate, Ninjutsu, and Judo. Kali has some correlation, but I always leave with more bruises after my hour there than even with Judo. We usually do a session of Kali and then an hour of JKD. Neither one really a sport and a lot of pads and personal protection worn to prevent serious injury. U tube has a lot of good examples of Kali.

Sweet, not to drift, but ive never had the opportunity to speak w an actual or former practitioner of ninjitsu, or JKD for that matter! As someone with experience, how would you characterize both?
    Last edited by Isaac; 06-07-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Sweet, not to drift, but ive never had the opportunity to speak w an actual or former practitioner of ninjitsu, or JKD for that matter! As someone with experience, how would you characterize both?
    So, sample size of one, but I took advantage of an invite and attended four classes at a local dojo that marketed itself as both ninjitsu and taijutsu. They even offered a weekly bokken class.

Long story short it was a total shitshow and pretty cringey. A lot of over-theatrical kata and even the “sparring” portion was scripted LARPing.

I did the dive into some forums and Reddit and the above seems to be the normal experience if the student isn’t some die-hard weeaboo.

I think one would be much, much better off with some BJJ, wrestling, Muay Thai, and/or boxing; and, for the sake of this thread, some good mentorship about putting pointy things into bad people.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

That’s pretty much what I expected. Just wanted to hear it

User Tag List