Thread: New Drill/Test - The B8ller

New Drill/Test - The B8ller

As I've been chasing ways to evaluate different levels of performance and finding objectives/training goals, I've come up with what I've been calling the B8ller (baller) drill. It's got influence from a variety of tests/drills I've shot over the years, so if you see some influence from one or another you're probably right. The intent is to set and test measurable standards with different shooting "rhythms" but can also be viewed against each other with some similarities to identify areas of improvement. For example, if I can shoot accurately but I'm slow, I need to speed up. If I'm only accurate when I'm going fast, I need to work on slow-fire, etc, etc.

Doing some of the Run n Guns more recently, and being a competitive shooter for more than a few years, I'm always trying to find ways to test different mental states/standards/physical performance and blend different skills into compound drills. This is not meant to be something that can be achieved and forgotten.. it's an endless quest to get better. If someone can score 90 or better on all three strings and be within time standards, they're probably doing pretty good (b8lling) as they'll be tested slow fire, rapid fire and with an elevated heart rate. However, as a shooter gets better they should be able to decrease their times/increase their accuracy...there is not a perfect score to achieve. This is meant to be self-competitive and some strategy is involved in time management (making a shooter always be thinking). . In terms of execution, there's no need to rush the 1st string as it'll make follow on strings very difficult, but if it's all too slow then the shooter should clean it or they should feel bad for being slow as molasses. This drill could always be shot faster/more accurately/at further distances. However if you can score well with quick times at beyond very close ranges, you're probably a B8ller with a pistol!

The B8ller:

The target is a B8 repair center. Baseline distance is 10 yards but could be done at any distance shooter chooses. The first string determines the time standards for the rest of the strings. All strings begin loaded and holstered.

String 1: Draw and fire 10 shots at a deliberate pace without lowering or re-holstering between shots. Record time/score/paste or replace target.

String 2: Draw and fire 10 shots within 50% of the time established on string 1. Record time/score/paste or replace target.(If your S1 time was 20 seconds, 10 seconds is the time standard)

String 3: Do some activity that raises your heart rate and causes shortness of breath/heavy breathing (sprinting, ketllebell swings, etc), then draw and fire 10 shots within 75% of the time established on string 1. (If your S1 time was 20 seconds, 15 seconds is the time standard).

For those that need a time standard, a good shooter should be able to score a 90 or better on all strings, at 20/10/15 second standards on the strings.

Here's my latest proof run at 10 yards with my new STI Staccato P and irons:

String 1 - Forgot a pic with the timer, 18.99 seconds, 97-2X
    Name:  20200421_133333.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  26.7 KB

String 2 - Just outside of my par time. Shot 9 was right at 9.53 for reference. 10.25 seconds, 99-2X
    Name:  20200421_133529.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  27.3 KB

String 3 - For this I sprinted up and back down the hill behind the pistol bay, HR was about 125-130bpm when shooting. The only "rest" after getting back to the bay was to load and holster the pistol and wait for the beep. 10.43 seconds, 98-5x
    Name:  20200421_133828.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  32.2 KB

I like it! Sometimes simple is best.

I especially like the sprints part. It's amazing how much harder pistol shooting gets with some sprints.

Looks like a good drill to prep for the RBGC Run n Gun.

User Tag List