Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Glock sights?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I didn't wear a seat belt from 88 to 2017 and didn't die so seat belts must be dumb.
    No, but your comment above is dumb.

I didn't say that aftermarket sights were dumb. I said they weren't absolutely necessary.

Now, I don't know what you did or didn't do for a living but I managed to not break the sights on SRT, rolling around during training, and on arrests / fights on the street. Nor did any of the folks I worked with ever mention to me that they had. My own agency, Miami P.D., Miami-Dade P.D. etc. Not saying it didn't happen.

But anyway, rather than mischaracterize what I said, why not just ignore my posts and spare me the effort of having to respond.

(ETA: I recently told TC215 during a telephone conversation of responding to a crash in Tennessee where the young woman's failure to wear a seatbelt was the only thing that saved her life when the driver side of her vehicle was crushed by an 18-wheeler. But I digress...)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The fact that they're plastic is a primary concern, but I thought I read somewhere that you can buy steel versions of them. That aside, many people who actually shoot and not just parrot what they read on the Internet complain about the tight front/rear ratio and excessively large front sight as drawbacks to accuracy. That's a fair complaint and one that I can verify for me when shooting at distance. For "practical" defensive targets and distances I haven't had any issues hitting quickly and I've seen much more talented shooters do some pretty amazing things with entirely stock Glocks. For me the put-the-ball-in-the-box thinking process works well at speed when ascertaining whether or not I have an adequate enough of a picture to break the shot, and the overly visible Glock picture allows me to pick up that relationship quickly and often without having to shift my vision back to the sights. But that's just me.

That being said, I have Ameriglos with a smaller front sight (painted orange) on one of my G19s that I like and with which I can shoot pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Not particularly well..
    If someone said "what's wrong with running in sandals? I run just as fast in sandals as I do in running shors", it would matter how fast their running was as to whether that statement meant anything.

6 minute mile, wow. 12 minute mile? Who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    No, but your comment above is dumb.

I didn't say that aftermarket sights were dumb. I said they weren't absolutely necessary.
    How much would it have mattered if you would have had *no* sights on your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    How much would it have mattered if you would have had *no* sights on your gun?
    Ask someone else. We're done.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Many Glock fans seem to react to the factory sights like they are an avocado bathroom:

I have never had an issue with doing as well as I do with any other decent set of iron sights using the standard Glock set. Sure, I would prefer Ameriglos, but for daytime they are fine. And my eyes are crap.

Opinions?
    Durability issues with plastic sites, especially with the plastic Glock adjustable sight that originally came on all civilian Glocks. Glock makes a steel version of these sights that addresses this issue. In particular, when used with Julie holsters that feature tracks to protect the front sight, The top corners of the front sight will wear down leaving a front sight with rounded corners shaped kind of like R2-D2.

Second issue sight picture. There’s nothing wrong with the front dot/ U rear sight picture as a concept. However, until the release of the GEN 5 Glock‘s a proper sight picture using equal light equal height would always result in the bottom of the front dot being chopped off. Conversely prior to gen 5, If the front dot was centered in the white Y notch the tip of the front sight would be sticking up above the top edge of the rear blade perpetuating the myth that Glocks “shoot high. “

/thread.

I'm apparently one of the outliers who has successfully used Glock sights, with some caveats:

1. I immediately replace the polymer Glock sights with the steel Glock sights if I choose to remain with Glocks sights-currently, out of my 4 Glocks, my Gen4 G22 and Gen 3 G17 have Glock steels; (but be aware there are at least 4 "generations/options for Glock steels (or, probably more accurately, 4 generation of the Glock steel FRONT sight; I think that the steel Glock rears have remained unchanged throughout their production)-the first was a non-tritium made by Trijicon for Glock, and was dimensionally the same as the OEM polymer front sight, the second was the steel crimp-on front sight, the thirs was the screw-on front sight, and the forth apparently is the Gen5 proportionally adjusted steel sights (with a screw-on-front)) My preference is for a screw-on front, although the crimp-on set on my G22 has survived nicely with no issues in use for 4+ years.

2. I'm not iconoclastic about it; I like and am willing to experiment with other sights; my Gen 3 G21 has a set of Warren/Sevigney sights, and my Gen 3 G19 has Trijicons-I definitely like them both, needless to say.

The Glock sights are in my experience quite usable for short- to medium-distance targets; for longer distances, a thinner front sight blade is preferable.

The Glock sight picture is exceptionally fast to acquire-not necessarily for a "perfect" sight picture/alignment, but for a hasty encounter, they're in my opinion and experience, significantly underrated.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-21-2020 at 01:18 PM.

I have never had an issue with doing as well as I do with any other decent set of iron sights using the standard Glock set. Sure, I would prefer Ameriglos, but for daytime they are fine. And my eyes are crap.

Opinions?
    When I worked in gun shops, we used to install aftermarket night sights for customers. Most of the time you could push the plastic fixed factory sights off of a Glock without tools. The factory plastic adjustable sights were just as badly mounted and were fragile enough that you could rip them apart with your fingers. Factory steel fixed sights are actually not a bad design but the sight picture is too busy for my taste. Fortunately, they're inexpensive and if you reverse the rear sight so that the white part is to the front, then you get a low, strong, black steel rear sight, which makes the sight picture a lot more usable.

I used their factory night sights in IDPA and gun games for quite some time. If I stumbled into a Glock that had factory night sights that were still bright and POI was usable, then I wouldn't hurry to swap them out.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Durability issues with plastic sites, especially with the plastic Glock adjustable sight that originally came on all civilian Glocks. Glock makes a steel version of these sights that addresses this issue. In particular, when used with Julie holsters that feature tracks to protect the front sight, The top corners of the front sight will wear down leaving a front sight with rounded corners shaped kind of like R2-D2.

Second issue sight picture. There’s nothing wrong with the front dot/ U rear sight picture as a concept. However, until the release of the GEN 5 Glock‘s a proper sight picture using equal light equal height would always result in the bottom of the front dot being chopped off. Conversely prior to gen 5, If the front dot was centered in the white Y notch the tip of the front sight would be sticking up above the top edge of the rear blade perpetuating the myth that Glocks “shoot high. “

/thread.
    The above are exactly my problem with the stock plastic sights. However, inside ten yards (that was when I was beginning to learn to shoot and my first gun was a gen 2 G19) and not trying for a "brain box" shot, they'll do just fine. Since those days, I've always replaced them and now I may going with FO sights on all.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'm not a fan of the plastic ones, but I like the Glock steel sights. My preferred set up is a Glock steel rear and an Ameriglo front.

User Tag List