Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Glock sights?

What's wrong with Glock sights?

Many Glock fans seem to react to the factory sights like they are an avocado bathroom:

I have never had an issue with doing as well as I do with any other decent set of iron sights using the standard Glock set. Sure, I would prefer Ameriglos, but for daytime they are fine. And my eyes are crap.

Opinions?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I got by with the plastic "place holders" as they are referred to around here from 1988 to 2017 and managed not to get kilt on da streetz.

(And I had plenty of opportunities.)

Now I have the unfashionable Trijicon HDs on my three Glocks after succumbing to peer pressure here a few years back. I don't regret getting them at all, but whether they are "required" is debatable, imho.

There are circumstances when they are very useful during my annual night quals...so they are a good investment in that regard, and I don't think I'd go without night sights going forward.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think at a bare minimum the fragility is an issue for hard use or duty guns. It’s incredibly easy to get the front sight blade removed/moved and the rear isn’t much harder. It wouldn’t be good if a dropped/banged around gun now had a different POI or no front sight blade.

I don’t think the concept is bad at all, my only issue is how easily I’ve seen them deformed and damaged.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Front sight is too wide for my preference but I can shoot them OK. Durability is more of a concern and for a carry gun I prefer tritium.

And That Mitchell and Webb Look was a flippin hilarious show. Love British humor and frequently watch the youtube episodes of Would I Lie to You.
    Adam

The reason folks treat them like a bad fart is because they’re cheap plastic and tend to wear off practicing lots of draws and break off if otherwise treated roughly.

I think they’re genius, myself. Since I’m going to install the sights I think best anyways, being able to just grab any old pliers and instantly yank off the front, then tap the rear out of the dovetail directly into the wastebasket is awesome.

I can also use the sight picture just fine for vetting mags/ammo while waiting for the new sight set to arrive in the mail.

So, I like ’em, for what they are.

Depends what you expect to be able to do. I was in a class where we were doing a walk back drill and by the end I couldn’t see the target because of how fat the factory Glock sight was on my 21. And by the end of the class my ALS holster had chewed up the front sight.

Can I use them at 25 yards and get hits in a reasonable time? Sure. But they’re fat and fragile, and I can get a better option for not much money. Why put up with a known weakness?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

I have never had an issue with doing as well as I do with any other decent set of iron sights using the standard Glock set.
    How well is that?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I got by with the plastic "place holders" as they are referred to around here from 1988 to 2017 and managed not to get kilt on da streetz.

(And I had plenty of opportunities.)
    I didn't wear a seat belt from 88 to 2017 and didn't die so seat belts must be dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    How well is that?
    Not particularly well.

I was going to post an approximation, but hell, I can shoot in my backyard, give me a bit and I will post measurement of group and maybe even a time(but probably not).

I think I will borrow the wife's Cheetah for a sec. 😉

This came to ,mind for me recently shooting a G20. Which was a good experience, completely stock.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List