Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remastering the TDA

Remastering the TDA

Well, "mastering" is probably not the most accurate description of my skill level, but spending time over the last few weeks dry firing my out-of-retirement 5906 has been a revelation.

I started with what I think is a good review of the fundamentals with the Fear Not the Double Action Shot videos by Ernest Langdon. I also found this video by Mike Seeklander helpful, as well as many other good links on shooting the TDA including a few by Lucky Gunner.

With a snap cap installed, my primary exercise has been manipulating the DA trigger strong hand only. It has been a mighty battle, and I have muscles aching in my arm I didn't even know I had. But I find the strong hand only repetitions very useful, and when I transition to the SA pull or DA pull with two hands, it feels like a cake walk in comparison. So my goal is to keep working on the strong hand only DA pull. It's still a mess, but I am seeing improvement.

My goal is by the time my Milt Sparks BN55 holster arrives in July, I will have regained some competence with 5906. Hopefully the range I belong to here in NH will reopen early May and I'll be better able to judge my progress. I figure after owning it for over 30 years, it's time to give it its due.

I have a used 5906 that I bought years ago. Don't shoot it much simply because it is not in my carry rotation. If it were, I would certainly shoot it more.

Don't know how many "miles" are on this pistol, but the DA trigger pull is outstanding. The same as the S&W Model 19 I learned how to shoot with. The DA pull is consistent through out the pull. No stacking....period. Clean break. I know the trend is getting the DA or SA trigger pull weight down to the last ounce of reliability. Not a problem with a range only pistol. I just prefer a self-defense pistol not to be ammo sensitive when it comes to primer ignition. This 5906 has a better DA pull than my HK USP 45 or HK P2000 9mm to give some perspective.

As far as being reintroduced to the TDA, you are on the right path......practice. In DA mode, certainly there is more opportunity for upsetting the sight picture than when shooting SA. Maybe have an experienced shooter come along on your next range outing and watch your technique when firing. Maybe some productive pointers could come out of this. But practice is what makes good things better! Hope you enjoy your pistol. I certainly enjoy mine.

Enjoy your new endeavor. :-)

I fear not the DA shot. It is the next couple of shots, SA, that vexed me. That transition does require live-fire, to sort out. Whenever a well-preserved P220, with a heel-clip mag release, or really nice all-stainless steel S&W Third-Gen autoloader appears on the Collectors Firearms site, I tend to get all nostalgic for the Nineties, wanting to make the drive to check them out.

I carried an old-school P220, on the clock and during personal time, 1991 to 1993. The heel-clip mag release tended to snag on seat cushions, in the patrol car, so I sold the P220, with plans to replace it with an “American” P220, but my “interim” revolvers ended up being my primary duty handguns for a while, as the “American” P220 pointed too low, for me, so I did not buy one. I did add an S&W 3913, to take advantage of all those DA/SA training reps, but I did not keep it, long-term, as the mid-Ninieties were a period of much experimentation, in compact auto-pistols. I ended up preferring the DAO 3953, and sold the 3913 to a colleague.

Fast-forward to the 21st Century; I recently acquired a 3913 TSW, and am looking forward to running some rounds through it. This may be a really good old man’s lefty gun, as the ambidextrous safety levers serve nicely as grasping points for my right hand, which is not aging so well. Realizing that spare parts are becoming problematic, I followed-up this purchase with an S&W 908, and have my eyes open for more. I can accumulate several, cannibalizing parts becomes a practical alternative.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My EDC rotation is, sp2022, px4 and 92fs. For us old timers, it works.

@NH Shooter, I think you shouldn't over practice SHO trigger pulls, unless SHO shooting is what you're developing. A good goal is to be able to press the trigger quickly without moving the gun, no matter which hand(s) are involved. I don't think that because one-handed shooting is harder, that will necessarily help you achieve your goal more quickly. Especially since it's more tiring. Relaxation is important, and anything that helps you practice longer, while relaxed is good.

The same thing goes for using a "harder" gun. At least for me, if I had to use a S&W TDA, I don't think that would be helpful.

When I warm up with DA trigger presses, I do maybe 20 freestyle, and 10 each SHO and WHO.

And don't neglect SA dryfire. Arguably, more of your shots will be in SA...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Side conversation moved to General Discussion, let's keep the technical forums technical.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @NH Shooter, I think you shouldn't over practice SHO trigger pulls, unless SHO shooting is what you're developing.
    SHO is something I feel I need to be proficient with for the likely cases where the support hand is occupied with some other task (like holding a flashlight). Shooting SHO while holding a flashlight is something I'm already reasonably proficient at, so it's really just a matter of mastering the DA pull SHO. It's getting there.

FWIW, I shot the Sig Academy Low Light Pistol Operator course a few years ago (other than the Harries, all SHO shooting) and did pretty well with the PPQ;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @NH Shooter, I think you shouldn't over practice SHO trigger pulls, unless SHO shooting is what you're developing. A good goal is to be able to press the trigger quickly without moving the gun, no matter which hand(s) are involved. I don't think that because one-handed shooting is harder, that will necessarily help you achieve your goal more quickly. Especially since it's more tiring. Relaxation is important, and anything that helps you practice longer, while relaxed is good.

The same thing goes for using a "harder" gun. At least for me, if I had to use a S&W TDA, I don't think that would be helpful.

When I warm up with DA trigger presses, I do maybe 20 freestyle, and 10 each SHO and WHO.

And don't neglect SA dryfire. Arguably, more of your shots will be in SA...
    If I’m going to really throw a shot, it’s likely a SA shot. Especially the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If I’m going to really throw a shot, it’s likely a SA shot. Especially the first one.
    If things ever go sideways for me it will be the first SA shot after the transition from DA.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If things ever go sideways for me it will be the first SA shot after the transition from DA.
    That’s the one.

Do you notice any difference in the DA-SA transition in different platforms? Like in S&W vs Beretta.

One of the easiest guns for me to shoot were the P220s and P226s. I wish SIG had a good track record, because those are fun guns for me.

User Tag List