Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I need to get courageous and channel my inner @JCN and radius the cylinder release on the 642 and 342 so it stops opening up my thumb during recoil. However, another benefit of the @Lost River grip mod is that you can remove some hockey tap, wrap your bleeding thumb, and drive on.

All that to say, J-frames are fun and useful for me.
    One thing that helps me when I’m feeling hesitant is to buy a replacement part “just in case” or at least check to see what the price of it is and how available it is.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/215700000

The part in question is $18 so I think you’re good there!

DOOOOOOO IIIIITTT!

I have a few left over from competition revolvers I replaced them with extended versions so I can always send you one if you need one.

(Obviously radiusing it when it’s removed from the gun is the best bet).

A model 36 just sold over on Big Blue in about 30 minutes. I guess the price was right.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sa...-s-w-36-a.html

If I see one for a decent price in good condition I'll just buy it on the spot.

I missed that one.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I carry a 442, from time to time. Picked it up for a song and it shoots fantastic and carries well. In fact, I'm on the hunt for a Mdl 36 with 3" barrel or a Mdl 31 in 32 S&W. But I'm also looking for a 3" or 4" K frame of some sort or possibly a 3" Taurus Ultralite 856. I think I have the fever...

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post

Which is all rather ironic because the first gun I ever purchased was a 342 Ti. This was around the time that Her Majesty’s Redcoat S&W cut their deal with Slick Willie and the Arkansas gang. I ignored the boycott and got a “good deal” on the 342 Ti. But I couldn’t shoot it worth a darn, it hurt to shoot, so it stayed in the back of the safe. The only reason it was never traded off was because I figured it wasn’t worth anything or I forgot I had it.

Well, fast forward to my new born again J-frame life and it is time to replace the batteries in the 642 so I needed a backup. I pulled the 342 Ti out of the safe, put in an Apex duty kit, but some model paint on the front sight, did an @Lost River grip mod, and took it to the range. While the 642 prefers the 110 Hornady load, the 342 prefers Federal Gold Metal Match Wadcutters. The grip mod made it much more controllable and I was able to get acceptable hits.

My EDC most days is a pair of 342's. One in an old beloved Lou Alessi ankle rig, and the other in a left front pocket RKBA norsehide holster holster Steve made for me before he retired. They shoot dead on with Federal GMM as you mentioned.

Greg Ellifritz convinced me to get a 242, and it sometimes goes AIWB with a frame clip and the stocks wrapped with Goon Tape. I can clip it into any waistband, and have 7 rounds ready.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    One thing that helps me when I’m feeling hesitant is to buy a replacement part “just in case” or at least check to see what the price of it is and how available it is.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...prod/215700000

The part in question is $18 so I think you’re good there!

DOOOOOOO IIIIITTT!

I have a few left over from competition revolvers I replaced them with extended versions so I can always send you one if you need one.

(Obviously radiusing it when it’s removed from the gun is the best bet).
    Travel this week but when I return…….

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My EDC most days is a pair of 342's. One in an old beloved Lou Alessi ankle rig, and the other in a left front pocket RKBA horsehide holster holster Steve made for me before he retired.
    I have a few of them. Best pocket holster I’ve owned. Wish my J frame holster was right handed. My thought at the time was backup gun, weak side.

Site Supporter
    I've tried a few different pocket holsters, but my hands down favorite is the Kramer.

I've primarily carried semiautos AIWB (progression of M&Ps to Glocks to 2011s). As I'm traversing to the latter half of my 40s, I've found that in the past couple years I ended up going out without grabbing my gun first, and hardly ever carried in the house.

Then I opened my mind back to carry revolvers. My first handgun was a Colt DS that I carried in a Kramer Cross Draw, primarily because I often rode motorcylces, and cross draw was a good way of protecting the gun and keeping it out of sight while still being comfortable in more aggressive seating positions. I currently have a 43c and a 432PD. Both of these revolvers carry so well in a jeans pocket or an ankle holster that I barely even notice them. Now I find myself not only always carrying a gun with me (where legal) when I go out, but also at home. It's completely unobtrusive and comfortable no matter what I find myself doing.

If I'm going out with my family or into areas where they may be more risk involved, I swap to my Staccato C2, but the pocket J Frame is always with me, just like my wallet, keys, a folding knife, and phone. As DB has said, they're Rule 1 guns.

User Tag List