Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

I recently acquired both a G42 and a used 642. Despite ammo cost, I've managed to put several hundred rounds through each on a variety of drills stressing fast hits and precise accuracy. My experience is, for ME, the 642 shoots significantly better, even with the plain, unpainted front sight and rudimentary notch. Something about the consistent, if heavy, DAO trigger pull makes shooting it just easier than the spongy take up, moderately mushy break of the 42. In fact, on Friday, shooting at an indoor range with marginal lighting conditions, the best 5-shot group I managed at 15 yards wasn't with my Dan Wesson CCO, it was with the 642. The comparative groups with the G42 and P365XL were embarrassing by comparison.

The G42 is smaller in every possible dimension, which is a double-edged sword as it makes holding onto it and NOT inadvertently holding down the slide catch lever very hard for my not terribly large hands. It has IMMENSELY better sights, less recoil, and reloads DRAMATICALLY faster/easier. It's also easier to shoot FAST when shooting at generous targets at close ranges, due to the low recoil and faster resetting trigger.

Neither is a "fighting" handgun by any stretch. But, when all is said and done, I just feel more comfortable with the 642, especially loaded with Corbon DPX, than the G42 loaded with 95gr flat point FMJ.

If only S&W would introduce a pinned front sight so I could put something more visible up there, this would become a total no-brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    If only S&W would introduce a pinned front sight so I could put something more visible up there, this would become a total no-brainer for me.
    LCR.

Pinned front sight, better trigger, basically same size:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 11.13.58 PM.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  35.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    LCR.

Pinned front sight, better trigger, basically same size:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 11.13.58 PM.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  35.0 KB
    Had one. Couldn't get past short stroking the trigger, awesome though that trigger was. Loved everything about it otherwise.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    You gotta learn to lean into the hug so you aren't bumping uglies... There's a lot of busty women in my family so I had to learn that trick so I didn't come across as a boob-smooshing creep.
    And yet you never invite me over for the family get-togethers.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I carry a J frame at my part-time job in a bike store. I could maybe carry something a bit bigger, but being the deep South, hugs are common with customers we often ride and/or run with, and some of them might be uncomfortable encountering that lump.

I put 80 rounds through my new-to-me M49 today and it shoots well. It apparently never saw the inside of a holster or much shooting until I bought it, and I feel guilty putting something that pretty in Kydex.
    Couple points...

1) You should feel guilty! Get that poor old thing some nice leather to protect it. My 49 is ratty and going to Clark's soon to get a 3" barrel installed. I had them build me a 3" 640 last year and it is supercool.

2) Southern hugging and hot weather clothing really are an issue. That is partially why I have completely gone to pocket carry or appendix (with proper pelvic distancing) for work in recent years. I work with a lot of people at state or parish (we don't have counties here) level agencies, and some Feds, and a bunch of y'all would be shocked how much people hug in greeting or parting at some of the big meetings.
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 01-31-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    And yet you never invite me over for the family get-togethers.

Couple points...

1) You should feel guilty! Get that poor old thing some nice leather to protect it. My 49 is ratty and going to Clark's soon to get a 3" barrel installed. I had them build me a 3" 640 last year and it is supercool.

2) Southern hugging and hot weather clothing really is an issue. That is partially why I have completely gone to pocket carry or appendix (with proper pelvic distancing) for work in recent years. I work with a lot of people at state or parish (we don't have counties here) level agencies, and some Feds, and a bunch of y'all would be shocked how much people hug in greeting or parting at some of the big meetings.
    Just think how many times I take vital signs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Just think how many times I take vital signs
    Oh yeah, I had friends back in the early '90s that worked at Earl K here or Big Charity in New Orleans and wow the stories that they told. There were some old belly band setups that looked like current day battle belts. They would have loved the Enigma and some of the options that we have now.

Site Supporter
    They could have gone Yancy Derringer with a 4 barrel Sharps in each sleeve, one on each side of his vest and a last one in his hat. That's how it should be done in New Orleans. Iver Johnson has had a hypothetical 22 LR Sharps in the works.

Today was a hearing day. Morning starts as usual waking up with the dog and exercising him, then into a three piece suit, then to work, then needing to on and off the gun before entering and after exiting a federal courthouse, then change back in to casual clothes at home to exercise the dog again (and relax after listening to a zealous prosecutor get unnecessarily aggressive with our witnesses - no offense to the prosecutors here but that wasn’t fun).

LCR covered all of that perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I recently acquired both a G42 and a used 642. Despite ammo cost, I've managed to put several hundred rounds through each on a variety of drills stressing fast hits and precise accuracy. My experience is, for ME, the 642 shoots significantly better, even with the plain, unpainted front sight and rudimentary notch. Something about the consistent, if heavy, DAO trigger pull makes shooting it just easier than the spongy take up, moderately mushy break of the 42. In fact, on Friday, shooting at an indoor range with marginal lighting conditions, the best 5-shot group I managed at 15 yards wasn't with my Dan Wesson CCO, it was with the 642. The comparative groups with the G42 and P365XL were embarrassing by comparison.

The G42 is smaller in every possible dimension, which is a double-edged sword as it makes holding onto it and NOT inadvertently holding down the slide catch lever very hard for my not terribly large hands. It has IMMENSELY better sights, less recoil, and reloads DRAMATICALLY faster/easier. It's also easier to shoot FAST when shooting at generous targets at close ranges, due to the low recoil and faster resetting trigger.

Neither is a "fighting" handgun by any stretch. But, when all is said and done, I just feel more comfortable with the 642, especially loaded with Corbon DPX, than the G42 loaded with 95gr flat point FMJ.

M&P 340.....just reality....

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    M&P 340.....just reality....
    Why you gotta flex on us poors? I can barely scratch up the cash for a used 642

User Tag List