Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

I see a J-Snub as an occasional gun; any occasion which suits its size/weight equation. I cannot consider an Airweight or Airlite J-Snub to be “primary,” because the little things vex my aging, aching right thumb/wrist too much to train with them, and if I won’t train with a weapon, it becomes more of a liability, than an asset. My only solid steel J-Snub is a stainless steel Model 632, and I am not quite ready to step-down to .32 H&R as a primary defensive cartridge. So, a J-Snub is an occasional gun, for me.

“Occasional” covers such factors as NPE, pocket, ankle, and various, assorted niches.

The SP101 is larger enough to be a much better shooter, and its grip larger enough to be much kinder and gentler. I have no trouble considering an SP101 a “primary” handgun, as there is room on the grip for my pinkies, and good sights, so accurate, controlled shooting is practicable. My hands are long, but not wide, and my fingers are skinny, so, I can get my pinkie onto a J-Sbub, even one with boot grips, but the factory SP101 grip extends to the “heel bone” of my hand, for infinitely better stability.

An SP101 is too big for truly deep concealment in most pockets, and on the ankle, one does feel the weight, after a while. This ensures that a J-Snub does continue to have its place.

Another factor that keeps J-Snubs (and the SP101) relevant is that small autos vex my aging body parts. I find myself gravitating toward large autos, with plenty of gripping surface, and design features that minimize muzzle flip.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A 442/642 is the best, disposable NPE gun to me. It can be carried in a pocket for quick access or in something like a smart carry for deeper concealment. It’s no snag and safe for each application.

With wadcutters I feel less recoil from my 642 than my Glock 26 with 147 grain ammo. They wouldn’t be my choice for taking down Nakatomi plaza, but for certain limited applications there’s simply nothing better. The airweights are probably one of Smith and Wesson’s best values. I kick myself sometimes for selling my 340 PD but it’s just not worth $900 to me to replace it.

Site Supporter
    BUG, NPE, exercising. I also use a G42 in those roles: clothing or the exact location I am going help determine which rides along. I will change grips on the 642 as needed to accommodate clothes as well.

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    340PD in my front pocket all day every day.
    Primary and only.
    Hands down the fastest non-telegraphed draw to hit inside 10Y and I'm confident in head shots to 25Y.
    That meets my carry requirements.
    I also carry a 340PD daily. I use an Uncle Mike's size 3 pocket holster. I have never had the holster come out of my pocket when drawing the revolver from it. I chose this J-frame due to its lighter weight. Not lighter by much, but for me it is worth the extra cost of the revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I will change grips on the 642 as needed to accommodate clothes as well.
    That’s a point of versatility that’s often over looked. Being able to custom fit the guns to your hands and/or clothes is one of the best parts of a snub.

A J-Frame carried on your person all the time beats the hell out of a gun that's left in the safe.

J frames are like pocket knives. I have several and need a few more.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I will change grips on the 642 as needed to accommodate clothes as well.
    This is part of the reason I ended up with more than one. IMO there is a lot of control and presentation speed to be gained if you are not actually putting it in a pocket.

Site Supporter
    Like Tamara (not to speak for her), I found the 432 at the ULTIMATE J frame. Light weight, 6 shots. I love the term ultimate from the gun press. It's a great gun when circumstances define carry or sloth makes me not want to put on the full rig. I accept the limitations of time in the fight and number of opponents as denying I may need more in some extreme horror show.

Site Supporter
    For the 10 years I taught concealed carry certification classes the most asked question was 'what gun is best for CC'. My answer was always, "The one you have with you." For many people and many circumstances that is a J-frame.

Dave

User Tag List