Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    If you're really hungry for a Sky Hawk, Collectors had 3 or 4 for awhile though I'm only seeing one listed now:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/n...k-9mm-pr45719/

Price is way higher than I remember MSRP new being though...
    Yeah that price is way over the msrp, not paying a premium for it but I appreciate you posting that [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    How in the world are you carrying an LCR with CT laser grips in a front pocket?
    In a BlackHawk! size 3 currently. Soon to be a Kramer, since they are having a sale.
    I normally either wear Carhartt B151's, which I think have the best pocket for carry, or Wrangler 20X Jeans. It's a bit harder in jeans, but still works.

I have no experience with skinny jeans.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    In a BlackHawk! size 3 currently. Soon to be a Kramer, since they are having a sale.
    I normally either wear Carhartt B151's, which I think have the best pocket for carry, or Wrangler 20X Jeans. It's a bit harder in jeans, but still works.

I have no experience with skinny jeans.
    I wear jeans pretty much every day. I wear Calvin Klein relaxed jeans in a business casual setting and have 0 issues pocket carrying a J-frame with an AHolster kydex holster.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I haven't. Timer has been on my list to buy for awhile but somehow never gets purchased.
    For something like this you can use a timer app pretty well. Just fiddle with a par time until you're nailing that par time with one method, then test the other method for a bit and see if you are over or under par. Note that this is more idle curiosity then anything I think is a kilt in the streez differentiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I have found that pants are even more subjective than holsters for an individual.
    Body shape as well. I never have to buy upsized waist sizes in casual pants because by the time my ass and thighs fit the pants/jeans the waist is already oversized. Other than pleated suit pants, pajama pants, and possibly Hammer Pants, pocket carry isn't usually an option for me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    For something like this you can use a timer app pretty well. Just fiddle with a par time until you're nailing that par time with one method, then test the other method for a bit and see if you are over or under par. Note that this is more idle curiosity then anything I think is a kilt in the streez differentiation.
    Understood. Sparked curiosity here too. I've got an order of Comp I's I think will show up this week. I've always used HKS 36's as my primary reload in J's but Corona Boredom said let's try something new. A shootout (dry fire since our ranges are closed) of speed strip configs, vs HKS, vs Safariland might be interesting enough for a thread.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Understood. Sparked curiosity here too. I've got an order of Comp I's I think will show up this week. I've always used HKS 36's as my primary reload in J's but Corona Boredom said let's try something new. A shootout (dry fire since our ranges are closed) of speed strip configs, vs HKS, vs Safariland might be interesting enough for a thread.
    If you have a reloading setup, you can load some dummy rounds that will be the same profile as what you'd actually be loading. I loaded up 24 dummies years ago, no powder or primer, which work well. Where I went wrong originally was I marked them with red nail polish. Like an idiot I painted a ring around the brass at first, figuring that'd definitely keep me from accidentally mixing it with live ammo. Having no prior experience with nail polish I didn't realize how thick it went on. Don't do that, they won't chamber.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Re: Two, Four, Five, Or, Six Cartridges Per Strip; I Have Tried All

When I carried .357 revolvers on police patrol, I eventually settled upon carrying two particular Strips, one in each uniform shirt pocket. These Strips were in addition to the other ammo on my duty belt. The theory is that each of these Strips was for a two-round partial or “tactical” reload. The duty belt held speed-loaders and a 2x2x2 carrier. This was enough for me to deem the pocketed Strips to be expendable. Plus, more than two cartridges, per pocket, created a bothersome pendulum effect, until we were issued “super shirts.”

During personal time, I have generally used Strips loaded with either four or six. If I am carrying speed-loaders, and/or secondary/tertiary revolvers, I will not see the Strips as a go-to source for a complete reload, so a Strip with four cartridges, separated into two pairs, makes sense. If the Strips are my only spare ammo, for one weapon, I might carry each loaded with the full six.

I tried Mas Ayoob’s fives-rounds-per strip guidance, for a while, but found that five were no less-clumsy than the full six, perhaps because my skinny fingers had enough room to work as well with six as five. Others’ fingers will vary.

All of the above was/is guided by the S-L-O-W total time to completely reload, with a Strip, while being VERY fast for loading one or two. I am not trying to convince or convert anyone, or say that my way is better for anyone, other than myself.

For reference, I used a .44 Mag Model 629 for duty, from 1984 into 1985, a .41 Magnum Model 58 from 1985 until about 1990, detoured into .45 autos for a while, then used .357 Mag duty revolvers 1992-1997. I continued to use .357 revolvers as secondary weapons while on patrol, and during much personal time.

Trivia: A Bianchi Speed Strip, if first placed into very hot water, can be forced to accept .41 Magnum cartridges, if one skips spaces. Well, it was true in the Eighties. The material may have changed, over time.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    @RJ
    Can you post a link to these grips? I tried a pair of aftermarket boot grips but ended up removing them because the LCR fit fine in my pocket with the OEM grips, and the boot grips were hard to shoot. I am not asking for them, just interested in what they were.

EDIT: Are they these?

https://www.revolversonly.com/2018/1...-lcr-grip.html

Yes, those are it. They fit in a pocket great, but if you ever have to shoot it?
    Well, go stick your bare hand in an angry beehive for about a minute, that's about how it feels. With wadcutters.
    Try it, then you can stand there and wonder aloud on "why do I hate myself so much"?

OTOH, you might be a hell of a lot tougher than me. Keep in mind, I enjoy .41 magnum.

Your call.
    Sold copy, thanks. I’ll keep my OEM Hogue Tamers lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That is the Rogers grip and I would be happy to send you mine if you want to try it. PM me. With the LCR I like the regular grips in the pocket, the boot grip is also fine, but the Pachmayr grip is the best I have found at reducing the sting of shooting it.
    Thanks Doc, I deeply appreciate it, but no. I was just curious about that grip.

FWIW...

I live in South Central Alaska. I Pocket, AIWB, and Belt carry a J. In the colder temperatures, depending on the activity, inside or outside the home dictates carry location, and often only carry speedstrips.

My Speedstrips are 8 round 38/357. I load them 2/space/2/space/1...I find it is possible to manipulate a reload in really cold temps with or without gloves. Having the space between rounds allows me to handle the strip more securely, and carry out the reload more efficiently.

I carry the strips on my belt in a 8 round carrier. Even with gloves on I can find the carrier pouch on my belt as I use my thumb to clear the bottom of my coat, find the pouch, and extract the strip.

So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    In the FWIW Dept: Gun noob here. Went to the LGS to fondle a G43, convinced it was going to be my new small carry. At least until I rented one and shot a box of ammo through it. Thing bucked and squirmed more than a pig trying to avoid a one-way trip to Hard 8 Barbecue.

Ended up lusting after J Frames. Held several. Ooh'd and Aah'd over a bunch in the store. Settled on a M&P 340PD. I was making moves with my credit card, when I thought, hey, I should shoot one of these. Again, local gun shop. Airweight rental. Regular .38 ammo. Holy cow. I am not recoil averse but there was no way I was going to survive using it as a training gun.

Started paying attention to experienced revolver people. Noticed several comments about the LCR. Looked at them online. Wow. Uglier than a bag of hammers. A sale on CDNN arrived in my mailbox, so in a rare What the Hell?! moment, I bought a LCR .357. You know what? It shot fine. And using WCs it was actually - fun. After a year or so I traded it for a .38 LCR - same gun, but 13 oz vs. 18 oz and since I was shooting WCs anyway, worked about the same. I think "at this point" my LCR (stock except for a big dot) in .38 is a perfect complement to my G19 (training) and G43X (carry). Its my gun when I am not carrying a gun, gun.

Can you post a link to these grips? I tried a pair of aftermarket boot grips but ended up removing them because the LCR fit fine in my pocket with the OEM grips, and the boot grips were hard to shoot. I am not asking for them, just interested in what they were.

EDIT: Are they these?

https://www.revolversonly.com/2018/1...-lcr-grip.html

Sir yes sir. The difference between an LCR. 357 and LCR .38 is very noticeable.

The thing about .38 is that you feel cool when you are loading the rounds, one by one, into the cylinder, like a boss. A 9mm J-frame? Pfft, you don't want a revolver in one of those Euro-Sausage calibers.

So a lot of guys may consider this redneck, ghetto, whatever, but I can tell you from years of doing so, it works.

A strip of EVA foam or leather on the back strap glued in place with hot glue, secured with hockey tape makes a world of difference in felt recoil back to the shooter.

I started with an earplug on the back strap years ago and through experimentation came to where I am at today. I used to shoot extended strings of fire with my J frame to the point that the web of my hand was literally missing chunks of skin and found that EVA foam allowed me to keep normal size grips and not get cut up. Now a small strip of leather is not quite as comfortable, but it disperses the recoil over a wider area, and I don't bloody up my hand with hot loads. I still can slide the gun into, and draw the gun from my pocket with ease. The hockey tape gives me a solid grip texture while securing the EVA/leather.

User Tag List