Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

The problem I have with the 642 and LCR is their weight and size. I can't hide either in my pocket very effectively and have tried a ton of holsters including Mika's. The only Rule 1 gun I can truly get along with 100% of the time: pants, work our shorts, pajamas, whatever is the lowly LCP. It is remarkably shootable, but unfortunately plagued with marginal ballistics and spotty reliability. But I will have it on me 100% of the time.

I have found that pants are even more subjective than holsters for an individual. Most of my business slacks can easily carry a snub without any issue, but my favorite pair is another story. The shape of the front pockets are odd, and tend to make everything in them ride up at an angle. Even running a clinchpick on a pocket shield is chancy, so a snub is right out. Most of my jeans don't function well with pocket carry of any gun, but again I have a couple of the same brand that has a certain pocket cut that makes it easy.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Have you timed yourself with loading it full and closing it haphazard vs loading it down one and then having to close it with the given chamber where you want it?
    I haven't. Timer has been on my list to buy for awhile but somehow never gets purchased. Ought to get one as a Corona Boredom purchase and then report back. Untimed is unproven but FWIW the way I use a strip pretty much positions the empty under the hammer as the natural closure point and rarely requires adjustment. I'm using a vertical reload with the left hand wrapped around the cylinder if that helps visualize.

I wish I was hunting for a small revolver when Nighthawk was doing their Sky Hawk with Korth...

642 is likely in my future, now to find ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I have found that pants are even more subjective than holsters for an individual. Most of my business slacks can easily carry a snub without any issue, but my favorite pair is another story. The shape of the front pockets are odd, and tend to make everything in them ride up at an angle. Even running a clinchpick on a pocket shield is chancy, so a snub is right out. Most of my jeans don't function well with pocket carry of any gun, but again I have a couple of the same brand that has a certain pocket cut that makes it easy.
    This. When many of us talk about pocket carry, it requires dressing around that just like everything else. I love complaints from folks who wear skinny jeans that they can’t find a way to conceal a handgun effectively. Well no shit. Ankle carry is the friend to light slacks. Often, if sized right smart type carry works here as well. Reality is that nothing is free.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

@RJ
    Can you post a link to these grips? I tried a pair of aftermarket boot grips but ended up removing them because the LCR fit fine in my pocket with the OEM grips, and the boot grips were hard to shoot. I am not asking for them, just interested in what they were.

EDIT: Are they these?

https://www.revolversonly.com/2018/1...-lcr-grip.html

Yes, those are it. They fit in a pocket great, but if you ever have to shoot it?
    Well, go stick your bare hand in an angry beehive for about a minute, that's about how it feels. With wadcutters.
    Try it, then you can stand there and wonder aloud on "why do I hate myself so much"?

OTOH, you might be a hell of a lot tougher than me. Keep in mind, I enjoy .41 magnum.

Your call.
    Last edited by wvincent; 04-22-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Can you post a link to these grips? I tried a pair of aftermarket boot grips but ended up removing them because the LCR fit fine in my pocket with the OEM grips, and the boot grips were hard to shoot. I am not asking for them, just interested in what they were.

EDIT: Are they these?

https://www.revolversonly.com/2018/1...-lcr-grip.html
    That is the Rogers grip and I would be happy to send you mine if you want to try it. PM me. With the LCR I like the regular grips in the pocket, the boot grip is also fine, but the Pachmayr grip is the best I have found at reducing the sting of shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    So... about those LCR grips. I don't want to hijack the thread but here is what I did for my KLCR.... modified the aftermarket boot grip with a dremel, a soldering iron, and some grip tape to my liking.

The angle is not the same but I put in finger grooves and shaped it to make it more J boot like. Bottom line is the LCR is ugly to begin with so I proceeded with no fear of making it look any worse and if I screwed up I was out a whole 30 bucks

I don't carry much anymore as I like the smith airweight trigger and weight but here she is next to my 442 for comparison:

I have the "other" CT grips LG-411-H.
    Hard to find, but worth it.
    My LGS might have a set, let me know if you want me to ask.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ducts_id/77977
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    I found that Dockers and cargo pants would swallow up a 642 or 432 without problems. Levi's is antigun but guess what so many companies suck on some dimension that I don't care anymore. Jeans really don't work for me in pocket carry. Reloading isn't a prime fast consideration for a J frame, so if I have jacket, I'll toss a speed loader in it. Or the cargo pants usually have some pocket for it. I also might throw in a speed strip instead. A fast reload - isn't really happening. The extra rounds are just because and just in case.

I read guys who can't carry because they want to wear some stud outfit. Wait till age makes you look like a chubby Lex Luthor, my doc says some abdominal wall problems preclude any amount of exercise making my keg into a six pack again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    @HCM, my partner clarified my vague memory. We only had a short block of instruction on how to safely unless and clear a revolver. We didn’t fire any live rounds through them or even use them in the FATS training portion at the start of CITP. Damn shame.
    Last time I was on staff there they were replacing the blank fire CS-1s fir scenarios with DAO P228s.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I wish I was hunting for a small revolver when Nighthawk was doing their Sky Hawk with Korth...

642 is likely in my future, now to find ammo...
    If you're really hungry for a Sky Hawk, Collectors had 3 or 4 for awhile though I'm only seeing one listed now:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/n...k-9mm-pr45719/

Price is way higher than I remember MSRP new being though...

User Tag List