Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Lock or no lock?
    Lock
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Mine with a lock never gave me a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Pretty excited about this one....
    Nice!

We have his-and-hers stainless Ladysmith J-Snubs, .32 H&R. I have been keeping my eyes open for any local .32 J-Frames that I can find.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Nice!

We have his-and-hers stainless Ladysmith J-Snubs, .32 H&R. I have been keeping my eyes open for any local .32 J-Frames that I can find.
    I d like to find my wife one of the Ladysmith’s in .32. She liked the .32 in the LCR but prefers shooting a J frame.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

For the role that I use them in (deep concealment, or when I just can't be bothered to carry a gun), I have found nothing that works better.

Site Supporter

Smith & Wesson Chief Specials

When I started as a cop (1981) most agencies around here carried S&W Revolvers, mostly K frames. Among the more knowledgeable shooters, the 3 inch Chief's Special was a very popular off duty & backup gun. I bought the first one I ever fired. (A friend made me a deal. I made the last payment on the day President Reagan was shot).

At that time the County Traffic Police was separate from the Sheriff's Department (they merged in January of 1982). Among the avid shooters there was one group that carried S&W Auto pistols. (Many of them carried Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S pistols as hideout guns); another group that carried Colt Pythons (with Detective Specials as hide-out guns) and a final group that preferred the Smith & Wesson revolvers, mostly 5 inch Model 27s. And ALL those guys had 3 inch Chief Specials for hideout guns.

I always thought the 3 inch J frames balanced better and looked cooler. .

I currently own an M36 with the 3 inch tapered barrel, an M36 with the 3 inch heavy barrel, an M60 stainless with the 3 inch heavy barrel, and a (now-discontinued) M650 3 inch heavy barrel in .22LR, that I use as a "practice gun" for the other two.

Originally, for service ammo I used the S&W Nyclad 125 grn "Chief's Special" load, later made by Federal.

Then I switched to the WW 158 grn Lead SWC HP +P and then to the Federal 129 grn Hydro-Shock HP. I was about to switch to the Speer 135 grn +P HP, but then the PD made a change in policy and mandated the use of Hornady Critical Defense FXT hollow points for any secondary or concealment guns, and so I’m using the 110 grain hollow points.

I usually carry the guns in a traditional leather holster with a thumb break retainer, and reloads are Bianchi speed strips or HXS speed loaders carried in a Safariland 371 split six speed loader carrier.

These days I more frequently carry a Glock 19 or 43 as an off duty gun, depending on circumstance and how I'm dressed, but I qualify with the S&W 60 every year so I maintain the option.

Several of my non police friends have S&W 642s they carry as CCW guns, usually carrying them in a pocket. I just don't like to carry guns in my pocket. I have stuff I need to carry in my pockets

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Several of my non police friends have S&W 642s they carry as CCW guns, usually carrying them in a pocket. I just don't like to carry guns in my pocket. I have stuff I need to carry in my pockets
    I love the idea of carrying a snubbie revolver in a pocket as a backup gun for a primary semi-auto carried AIWB but I’ve got the same problem. I have so much stuff that needs to fit in my pockets that I don’t know how I’d free one up to put a gun in it unless I started wearing cargo pants all the time. Spreading all my stuff between the four normal pockets fills them up and doesn’t leave much room for anything else: Wallet, flashlight, credential case, two cell phones (personal and work), keys, trauma stuff (gloves, tourniquet, hemostatic gauze), pocket knife. I really don’t like cargo pants.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I love the idea of carrying a snubbie revolver in a pocket as a backup gun for a primary semi-auto carried AIWB but I’ve got the same problem. I have so much stuff that needs to fit in my pockets that I don’t know how I’d free one up to put a gun in it unless I started wearing cargo pants all the time. Spreading all my stuff between the four normal pockets fills them up and doesn’t leave much room for anything else: Wallet, flashlight, credential case, two cell phones (personal and work), keys, trauma stuff (gloves, tourniquet, hemostatic gauze), pocket knife. I really don’t like cargo pants.
    Options:

Ankle med kit to make room.

Ankle holster if you are still flexible like that.

Carry the J AIWB off side or IWB off side.

Save Pocket holster for jacket pockets and use in an admin pouch on your vest.

I also like the pocket holster because on vehicle surveillance I can either wedge it between the seats or tuck into a bag or cooler for quicker access. Aka the lunch box gun.

I have found a money clip with just an ID and a couple cards in a front pocket > two wallets. Plus two wallets screams COP!

Secure-A-Key belt clip key holder

The above mentioned is how I free up one pocket. It is handy and keeps my keys secure. I also use a cellphone case (many do) attached to my belt. Real estate is at a premium when trying to conceal carry along with whatever else needs to be carried.

Here is a link to show a pic of my key holder. Locally, I would check stores which make replacement keys as that is the section of the store I found my holder. Works great.

https://www.keyring.com/secure-a-key...derclipon.aspx

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I gave my short answer at the beginning of the thread, but I feel a bit obligated to follow up with a mea culpa: I don't have a J-frame in the house right now.

I let the last one go to finance a "better" one, but excrement happened. What I have left for a snubbie is the loose but reliable SP101 mentioned elsewhere... and as much as I like the reliability and easy maintenance (ludicrous leading excepted), it is just a tad too large for pocket carry in anything I wear except some really big overalls that make me look like I should be shoveling coal into the Hooterville Cannonball. In truth, the SP101 is no smaller than a Beretta PX4 Subcompact; yes, the PX4 is a thick bugger for its full length, but the SP101 cylinder isn't exactly flat. I am able to draw either one from a DeSantis SuperFly with about equal speed/ease.

But neither one is as easy to discreetly pocket carry as a J-Frame of the "Centennial" persuasion, nor as natural-feeling for me to just "grab 'n' go," (so to speak).

So as soon as this latest irritating setback resolves itself, I intend to get a new 640,* assuming I can find one that isn't pre-derped and needing to return to Springfield on their dime. Every new gun I buy now is automatically guaranteed to be a poor "lifetime investment," but so were most of the beers I have had over the last 45 years. For what they are best at, Centennials are the bomb.

*Yes, they are heavy, relatively speaking, but Airweights are now problematic. Give an old guy a break on recoil.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List