Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Had a discussion with some friends the other night on J Frames. A lot of people seem to think they are obsolete but I prefer to think of them as being niche guns.

For those of you who carry one, what purpose does it serve? Primary, back up, NPE gun, winter coat gun, etc?

Personally, I like to use my 642 as a bug on my ankle when working, clipped onto my shorts when in my yard chasing my daughter around, or in a coat pocket in the winter when its super cold and I have on multiple layers (but with a glock still in its normal place).

Site Supporter
    I still carry one (actually an LCR these days) as a primary.
    In AIWB, it still conceals better under a light t-shirt than my G48 in the same position.
    I have more flexibility in carry (pocket, etc).

I'll go with my G48 if my mode of dress will sufficiently conceal the gun, but I find the small revolver works better for mid-late summer modes of dress (shorts, light t-shirt).

Chris

I'm often carrying a J frame. It comes with me to that special NPE place I go to for eight hours a day. Also if I'm going to get groceries or running around playing with my daughter. Given the statistics on number of shots fired in a typical defensive situation when a firearm is deployed and my relative proficiency with the platform, I feel perfectly confident with a five shot J. I think its important to keep in mind that I will be reacting to a violent encounter differently if I'm armed with a j as apposed to, if I'm armed with my LTT. I think people imagine a situation when they would need to use thier compact or full size ccw. then they replace the full size gun with a J and come to the conclusion that a J is no good but they dont adjust the tactics of the situation to accommodate the carrying of a small frame revolver. Being in walmart with an active shooter looks for you depending on the tool you have with you.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Had a discussion with some friends the other night on J Frames. A lot of people seem to think they are obsolete but I prefer to think of them as being niche guns.
    Nothing made to this date works as well for me in the dead-simple pocket gun role, and I have wasted a crapload of time and money trying to prove otherwise.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

340PD in my front pocket all day every day.
    Primary and only.
    Hands down the fastest non-telegraphed draw to hit inside 10Y and I'm confident in head shots to 25Y.
    That meets my carry requirements.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    340PD in my front pocket all day every day.
    Primary and only.
    Hands down the fastest non-telegraphed draw to hit inside 10Y and I'm confident in head shots to 25Y.
    That meets my carry requirements.
    Though I no longer routinely do so, I used to carry a 340PD in my offside pocket as a BUG all day, every day, for years.

I share JodyH's conviction that nothing carries more easily and with less weight in a pocket, while yet possessing at least adequate terminal ballistic effect, accuracy and precision.

I will still rely on it as a primary in certain less common circumstances, instead of the G26.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I carry a 642-1 around home and walking distances from home...neighbors, mailbox, walking the dog, just taking a stroll, etc.

Once I set foot in my vehicle to go elsewhere, I swap out for a G26 or G19, usually the 26.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Name:  C8899862-8114-4923-AEF2-218217873B30.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  28.4 KBAfter I had been in LE a few years and could afford it, I bought a blued M38 Bodyguard as an off duty and BUG back in the days when BUGS were not prohibited by policy. It stayed in my strong side pocket of my uniform pants on duty as a district court baliff and my jeans pocket when off duty.
    A new Sheriff and subsequent adoption of the Glock 17 spawned the policy change that nothing other than the issued firearm could be carried, on or off duty, and any previous permissions were revoked. Glock 19s and later, 26s, were authorized for off duty but no other handguns of any sort.
    I used the G26 and 27 when we switched to 40 as a pocket off duty gun but was less than ideal. Too blocky and figuring out where to put a spare magazine was problematic when wearing a tucked in shirt. I eventually gave up and became more of a slob than usual with untucked garments nearly always when off.
    Our policy does not regulate firearms carried under a Virginia CHP, so I got one in 2013 and promptly bought a 442 since the M38 was long gone by then. It still lives in my pocket when off duty and frequently supplemented by either a belt carried Glock or service size .38 revolver and the 442 and my 3" M64 NY-1 are on the books now as authorized off duty weapons, courtesy of our new Sheriff. Now to hopefully get the BUG policy changed and use the 442 for that purpose as well.
    The stocks pictured have been removed and replaced with a set of UM boot grips.
    Despite the lock, the gun has been trouble free with about 750 rounds through it.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 04-21-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Niche for me, BUG or most-NPE. Still fun though.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List