Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Who still carries a J Frame? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    So a lot of guys may consider this redneck, ghetto, whatever, but I can tell you from years of doing so, it works.

A strip of EVA foam or leather on the back strap glued in place with hot glue, secured with hockey tape makes a world of difference in felt recoil back to the shooter.

I started with an earplug on the back strap years ago and through experimentation came to where I am at today. I used to shoot extended strings of fire with my J frame to the point that the web of my hand was literally missing chunks of skin and found that EVA foam allowed me to keep normal size grips and not get cut up. Now a small strip of leather is not quite as comfortable, but it disperses the recoil over a wider area, and I don't bloody up my hand with hot loads. I still can slide the gun into, and draw the gun from my pocket with ease. The hockey tape gives me a solid grip texture while securing the EVA/leather.
    Now that's very interesting.

That thin back on the Centenial has always been my bane when to comes to comfort in shooting. As I naturally grip high, it slams into the web of my hand and makes my j frame shooting sessions shorter than I want them (actually, has made me get a G43 to try out)

I'll have to experiment with that some.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-a-little-sad

I’ve got a set of the Taurus grips on a j-frame, and after a bit of reshaping to make them less square like them a lot. They cover the back strap but are less bulky than the Compacs.
    Had custody of a 605 that wore those while my buddy was stationed in England. One of several things I didn’t like about that revolver were those grips, so I’ve never been tempted to fit a set to a J.

I really hate you guys, lol. I’ve had zero interest in a revolver but this thread actually has me thinking of owning one. Reminds me of the countless 1911 threads that convinced me to get one of those.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I wish I could love the J-Frame. I am getting closer in that I have a 642-1. I installed an Apex kit which really helped the trigger and after about 1000 live and dry fires it is getting quite good, almost as good as an LCR out of the box. Both around 9lbs.

The problem I have with the 642 and LCR is their weight and size. I can't hide either in my pocket very effectively and have tried a ton of holsters including Mika's. The only Rule 1 gun I can truly get along with 100% of the time: pants, work our shorts, pajamas, whatever is the lowly LCP. It is remarkably shootable, but unfortunately plagued with marginal ballistics and spotty reliability. But I will have it on me 100% of the time.

Weights loaded:
    LCP: 12.0oz
    340PD: 14.4oz (+20% -2 rounds)
    LCR .38: 16.2oz (+35% -2 rounds)
    642: 16.3oz (+36% -2 rounds)
    The 432 comes in at 13.5 unloaded. https://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Smi...-Mag/Variant-1

So a lot of guys may consider this redneck, ghetto, whatever, but I can tell you from years of doing so, it works.

A strip of EVA foam or leather on the back strap glued in place with hot glue, secured with hockey tape makes a world of difference in felt recoil back to the shooter.

I started with an earplug on the back strap years ago and through experimentation came to where I am at today. I used to shoot extended strings of fire with my J frame to the point that the web of my hand was literally missing chunks of skin and found that EVA foam allowed me to keep normal size grips and not get cut up. Now a small strip of leather is not quite as comfortable, but it disperses the recoil over a wider area, and I don't bloody up my hand with hot loads. I still can slide the gun into, and draw the gun from my pocket with ease. The hockey tape gives me a solid grip texture while securing the EVA/leather.
    Here I thought you had taped your laser grip back together. Mine didn’t last that long. I had thought about taping it back together but ended up losing the backstrap.

This followed me home from the essential store....9.9 ounces.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I believe the correct term is "Idaho Baller"
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    C’mon, now...the loaded weight of that thing has to be almost a whole ounce more than that!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    what model?

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    C’mon, now...the loaded weight of that thing has to be almost a whole ounce more than that!
    Not with an aluminum cylinder.
    I had a "Kit Gun" J-frame for a while that was stupid light.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List