Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Workout Shoes

Site Supporter

RFI: Workout Shoes

Need some new sneakers for the gym.

Weightlifting, eliptical, bike, etc.

I'm not a runner. Not 10ks or half marathons for me.

My wife kindly bought me a pair of Brooks for my last pair and they've been Meh... I'm sure they are great for running but for the gym they're just OK to me.

I have a fond spot but I'm open to other suggestions as long as they aren't Nike.

Any input from the hive? Any that you'd recommend I look at? Any to avoid?

P.S. I do have dedicated weight lifting shoes for squats and deadlifts.

The wife and I have both been happy with Inov8 F-lite 235. You can usually find deals on previous years colors.

I’ve also had good luck with New Balance Mimimus but not sure what they are currently offering.

I use Adidas Sambas for general workouts, rowing, etc. I have dedicated shoes for deadlifts, etc but the Sambas work well for me as a general use shoe.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've been using a pair of Merrell minimalist shoes I picked up on sale. I like the "barefoot" feel for most gym stuff. The only thing they're not good for is the Jacob's Ladder machine -- stepping on a rung with your arch is not comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I've been using a pair of Merrell minimalist shoes I picked up on sale. I like the "barefoot" feel for most gym stuff. The only thing they're not good for is the Jacob's Ladder machine -- stepping on a rung with your arch is not comfortable.
    I've been using Merrell Vapor Gloves ever since I started CrossFit. I used to try and wear lifting shoes for deadlifts or squats, but I gave that up a while ago.

Pros:
    -strengthen your ankles and feet
    -no socks= one less thing to pack in the gym bag and wash in the laundry
    -fast sprints
    -low weight for box jumps

Cons:
    -No socks means they get real funky. I keep 2 pair. When one gets bad I scrub it out with soapy water then let it dry in the sun for a few days
    -Dont kick anything

I've got a pair of Pumas I picked up, and they work pretty well.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    For ground-based weight lifting (squats, deadlift, overhead presses, etc), I either wear Converse-AllStar-type shoes (actually generic Wal-Mart copies) or go barefoot. I want as l little "squish" under my foot while doing those lifts. However, you have this covered.

The canvas shoes (converse, etc) work fine for elliptical and exercise bikes, but I wear proper running shoes for treadmill and dedicated cycling shoes for real biking (not gym-based machine).

Chris

All of the above!

Running shoes are good for running, but too soft for gym work for me. I have Merrell barefoot trail gloves, Inov-8s and one pair of Nike Metcons.

As mentioned, shop prior season colors and save a lot. Active Gearup, Eastbay and Running Wearhouse have good sales.

Converse Chuck Taylors for everything but running.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Converse Chuck Taylors for everything but running.
    The Adidas Samba is a lot like the Chucks but with the leather upper. Good flat, stable bottom for deadlifts and overhead lifts, virtually no heel elevation and very good arch support imho. And, at least when I bought my most recent pair, the price was right.

I haven't owned a pair of Chucks in recent years but have a long earlier history with them.

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List