Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Brief Summary: Modlite Mod Button Vs. Cloud Defensive LCS (Shoe) For SBRs

  1. #1
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Connecticut

    Brief Summary: Modlite Mod Button Vs. Cloud Defensive LCS (Shoe) For SBRs

    My agency issues me a Colt LE6945CQB rifle. I use this rifle for patrol functions as well as a tactical team environment currently. If you have never seen this rifle before, it uses an incredibly short and bulky monolithic upper assembly with a folding front gas block sight. The 10.3" barrel makes this a very handy fighting gun, but the extremely short rail more often than not feels cramped. I'm 6' 3" with very long arms and run the stock fully extended to make it useable.

    This limited rail space has forced me to get creative with light mounts to try and maximize the space. My set up for the last year and half has been a Surefire M600DF Scout with SR07 remote switch. I attached the light to a IWC Haley Strategic Thorntail Offset Adaptive SBR Scout mount. The Thorntail places a big light like the M600DF up and outward to free up some area for grip.
    Name:  IMG_20200224_122920.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  63.6 KB

    To mount the SR07 I chose to modify it and mount it on a Cloud Defensive LCS Shoe for a Streamlight switch. I got the idea from the Big Tex Outdoors blog (https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/modif...defensive-lcs/). At the time I decided to do this because I wanted the option of a constant on switch from the SR07 with the cord management of the LCS. This setup excels in that role but adds added bulk and size which was something I never loved on the already bulky Colt rail.
    Name:  IMG_20200224_122925.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  61.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200224_122917.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  70.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200224_122914.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  62.5 KB

    Fast forward to Modlite coming on the scene and really flooding the market with innovation. When they announced the partnership with Unity Tactical to make their new Mod Button I know I had to have one. The Mod Button combines a momentary on switch, remote tailcap cord, and Scout light mount base into one product. I ordered one as soon as I was able to from Big Tex Outdoors.

    The quality of the switch is phenomenal. Check out the detail on this heat sink alone.
    Name:  00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200420163211593_COVER.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  41.2 KB
    Modlite allows individuals to piece together lights to their exact specifications and battery types. With the Mod Button I chose to order a single cell 18350 rechargable body tube that mounts to the Mod Button. This tube allows me to use my current Surefire Tailcap and M600DF Scout head. I was reluctant to switch to rechargeable at first, but I purchased extra batteries and will just work them into a charging rotation with all my other gear.

    The Mod Button installed is simply awesome.
    Name:  00000IMG_00000_BURST20200420163641419_COVER.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  101.9 KB

    It positions the light at roughly one o'clock in relation to the front sight/gas block and places it high enough so that it doesn't interfere with my support hand grip. I used a couple of Larue index clips to help manage the slack in the light cord and they work very well in this role.
    Name:  00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200420163540928_COVER.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  101.6 KB
    Name:  00000IMG_00000_BURST20200420163641419_COVER.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  101.9 KB

    Yes I did lose a constant on feature by switching to this configuration, but the extremely small overall package makes up for that to me. In all honesty, I don't recall a single situation where I really needed the constant on in actual use.

    If you are struggling to free up some space on your short rail or just want to make things more ergonomic, the Mod Button and one of Modlite's tube bodies would be a an excellent choice. The Mod Button is also fully compatible with all Scout pattern light bodies.

    I am now able to achieve a more controlling grip while still being able to easily access the control button.
    Name:  00000IMG_00000_BURST20200420163704094_COVER.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200420163702081_COVER.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  101.5 KB

    I see myself upgrading the light head to a Modlite offering in the future. Can't decide between an OKW or a new V2 PLH. Thankfully I can buy the head only whenever I'm ready.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The New World
    Nice summary and pics for the visual.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the government?

  3. #3
    This thing checks so many boxes for me. I was able to get one of the first batch and I'll be buying at least 2 more. #modbuttonallthethings

    Attachment 52472

  4. #4
    Any chance someone has tried this in conjunction with a PEQ-15? Currently have a 600DF mounted with an Arisaka at about 1:30 and a SR07 behind the PEQ, but it makes for a weird reach for the pressure pad.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

  5. #5
    Site Supporter dontshakepandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Any chance someone has tried this in conjunction with a PEQ-15? Currently have a 600DF mounted with an Arisaka at about 1:30 and a SR07 behind the PEQ, but it makes for a weird reach for the pressure pad.
    It should work well with the Unity Tactical LightWing since it was specifically designed to clear a laser.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    It should work well with the Unity Tactical LightWing since it was specifically designed to clear a laser.
    Thanks Iíll give it a look.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

  7. #7
    Does it leave enough room for the Surefire DS tailcap?

  8. #8
    Site Supporter dontshakepandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Does it leave enough room for the Surefire DS tailcap?
    Yes.

  9. #9
    Site Supporter dontshakepandas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    I ordered two of these, and ended up keeping one of them.

    It is absolutely the best set up that I've found for my CZ Scorpion.

    Name:  IMG_1321.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  57.9 KB

    It keeps the light out of the way, is in a place where accidental activation is unlikely, and is easy to reach when I need it.

    For my AR15s I still prefer just using a clicky switch on the left side (and have an X300U on order for the SBR). I found the mount on the Modbutton makes it pretty difficult to reach if you are shooting with your off hand. This generally wouldn't be a huge concern for me, but my wife shoots left handed so it makes activating the light extremely difficult.

    Adding the LightWing definitely helped with this, but I didn't find enough benefit to justify spending $200+ per rifle to update to that system. Using the Lightwing on my SBR also extended the light out far enough past the rail that I was a bit concerned about it catching on something and bending.

    I wish they'd make one that is just the switch without the built in mount. If I could position the mount and light separately I think I could make it work better for my setups and would consider trying them again. I've considered using the Unity Hot Button as well since they are similar, but the wires on them are just too long and I don't like having all of that crap hanging off of my rifle.

    All that said, the quality of the switch is excellent and if the position works for you I definitely recommend it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I ordered two of these, and ended up keeping one of them.

    It is absolutely the best set up that I've found for my CZ Scorpion.

    Name:  IMG_1321.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  57.9 KB

    It keeps the light out of the way, is in a place where accidental activation is unlikely, and is easy to reach when I need it.

    For my AR15s I still prefer just using a clicky switch on the left side (and have an X300U on order for the SBR). I found the mount on the Modbutton makes it pretty difficult to reach if you are shooting with your off hand. This generally wouldn't be a huge concern for me, but my wife shoots left handed so it makes activating the light extremely difficult.

    Adding the LightWing definitely helped with this, but I didn't find enough benefit to justify spending $200+ per rifle to update to that system. Using the Lightwing on my SBR also extended the light out far enough past the rail that I was a bit concerned about it catching on something and bending.

    I wish they'd make one that is just the switch without the built in mount. If I could position the mount and light separately I think I could make it work better for my setups and would consider trying them again. I've considered using the Unity Hot Button as well since they are similar, but the wires on them are just too long and I don't like having all of that crap hanging off of my rifle.

    All that said, the quality of the switch is excellent and if the position works for you I definitely recommend it.
    The unity hot buttons are what you will want if you want something that does not have an integrated mount.

    I just picked up two mod buttons, one for my Duty rifle and one for my bedside gun. I'm still attempting to figure out how I want to integrate this thing into my Duty rifle setup. Right now I have my franken Malkoff light on a T-rex Arms light bar to push it past the FSB. I'd like to keep things simple and attempt to use the integrated mount but I dont want to push the light that far back. Additionally, I dont want the light at 3 o'clock. Not for any real reason other than I just dont want it there.

    I think that the hot buttons are probably a better product UNLESS you need a mount at which time the mod button is gold.

    Awesome initial impressions from the OP.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •